Today
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run your own Soviet Union

Hogs have lost 2 in a row so I should talk about something else.

Started a game but gonna restart cause their is much to figure out about the game that is actually called Workers and Resources, Soviet Republic or Soviet Republic, Workers and Resources.

With my first radio station I was encouraging communism and alcoholism, the two keystones of the old Soviet Union. I plan on doing the same thing with the next game. Damn thing was that very few people had radios, so I built a store that was heavy on electronics before I quit.

I did build a car dealership and a car factory now this was setup where I wasn't shipping in everything to build them I figure the next time when I play a regular game I will have to.

From what I've read their are no prisons or gulags so its all economic, you can build the party headquarters and political education facilities.

I will post more when I get farther into a game.

If you think you might like it its here

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...viet_Republic/
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Run your own Soviet Union

Man, going through the workshop, some dudes are making some complicated stuff especially for the electrical grid. I may simplify the electric grid if thats possible.

The Russian guys are making much of it. Who would know more about it LOL. Thankfully for this game they do translate the description into English, in some games they don't bother.

SOMEONE MADE THE SOVIET JET TRAIN!

Pics from steam don't want to load here. link https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...76&searchtext=

People have been making these huge train construction trains and rail construction offices but I keep hearing gripes about some of it like heating no longer being required in the vanilla but then the mod requires it. Anyway, will have to check this crap out.

Ahh someone has made a small gulag, I think they are going to try to make it work with the secret police building/workers, I don't know yet though.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 10-13-2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: gulag
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Add some Red Alert tech. ;-)
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [WaW]CA|Melvin View Post
    Add some Red Alert tech. ;-)
    Went to the Red Alert archive site http://ra.afraid.org/, EA officially released Red Alert as freeware. Someone made an installer so it will work on 64 bit systems. Thats a bit of dedication there. The site seems to cut off/no updates in/since 2019. All the download links for installing the game still work. Found a place with a thing so that 4 people can play online together but that thing is hit or miss is what I read.

I assume someone will make a weapons factory for Soviet Republic, Workers and Resources if they haven't already. Found a beginners guide so I know how to hook up power to the apartments and factories and other stuff. You can run the game with stable weather and not have to hook heat up to the apartments but what fun would that be. If people in one apartment complex piss me off, NO MORE HEAT FOR YOU!! Won't work out for me so well though, they either die or leave is what I read. In real Soviet Republic there'd be no leaving.

And thats what the game is, its not like the whole Soviet Union, its pick your Soviet republic to run, which is good I guess, doing the entire country would be overwhelming though I think I saw a mod map for the entire Soviet Union with that to those who try it.

Edit, I found that they have remastered all of the command and conquer and related games, they are on steam, 20 bucks each, something about EA play, its 4.99 a month, I don't know if you need that to play the game.

First time I ever read guides and stuff about a game before I went in like a nutjob playing it.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 10-13-2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: remasters

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots to learn about heating the apartment buildings. I've done something wrong and people are just fleeing cause its too cold LOL. Mostly figured out the electricity. Some storage stuff I need to learn so I can export and make money. Was going okay but people kept dying cause no hospitals so I had to build some and they cost money to run. Haven't run a single railroad but I need to export some coal and make money off of it.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info on RA. I hadn't visited the archive site. I have most of the remastered versions bought from Steam. I waited for a sale. I don't recall if you have to pay EA for multiplayer. I see the archive site has a download to get multiplayer working.

Sorry to still be off-topic, but is there a problem with Steam the last few months? About half the time I login, it takes a long time to connect. That is, network and disc activity has died down but it is still not connected for some time. OK, I'm impatient; I'm accustomed to connecting in 15 or less seconds, but now it is sometimes a little over a minute. My gaud man! I'm a doctor, not an internet mechanic!
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info on RA. I hadn't visited the archive site. I have most of the remastered versions bought from Steam. I waited for a sale. I don't recall if you have to pay EA for multiplayer. I see the archive site has a download to get multiplayer working.

Sorry to still be off-topic, but is there a problem with Steam the last few months? About half the time I login, it takes a long time to connect. That is, network and disc activity has died down but it is still not connected for some time. OK, I'm impatient; I'm accustomed to connecting in 15 or less seconds, but now it is sometimes a little over a minute. My gaud man! I'm a doctor, not an internet mechanic!
    Steam connects fine for me, now, I recently cleaned up a bunch a crap on my computer with that program that I can't remember name of, it fixed up the registry and it had a bunch a crap in it, before that everything had gotten kinda slow.

What I have a problem with on steam is when I use firefox to look at it cause the font in steam is too damn small, it doesn't recognize my browser when I go there and I can login with my name and password correct but I still have to go to my email and get the code they send me to actually finish logging in. I stopped viewing much in the steam browser cause the font on the text is so small.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theirs no traffic control for road vehicles in the game, I had to delete/sell two ambulances cause they had become stuck, neither could move. For trains the game basically uses Transport Tycoon Deluxe's rail signals, those have problems as well, they do in TTD and I've read about the exact things happening in Workers and Resources. One way signals/tracks is how I get around it in TTD. Right now I haven't bothered with signals. I have two trains in the one I'm doing now, AND THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN TRACKS!

I got kind of a hand on heating the apartments, I didn't have so many people leave/freeze to death in the winter of 61/62 LOL. People who are good at the game would say I'm blowing money cause I'm over doing the heating but until I can figure out how to do it efficiently I'd like to keep my power plants and coal mines running. I can't believe they did no electric heating system but apparently its realistic.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe Steam forgets your browser because it isn't storing cookies. Or it is set to delete cookies when it closes. Whenever I clean all cookies from my system, Steam forgets that my browser is "known".

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I allow the cookies, I think all my browser and its addons do is stop tracking cookies and scripts.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing you must pay attention to when you run/build trains is the hills, I'm going to have to tear down a bunch a crap because I only looked at stuff from the overhead view. Its too steep.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah some of the problem wasn't it being too steep, it was the tracks don't connect well that way. I've avoided the problems with the signals by just running trains on their own track by themselves. The last update, which was huge, was supposed to have fixed the signals but I haven't tried it yet. One thing they need to fix is you can only rarely build under power lines. The old huge Soviet apartments are too tall but many of the buildings you can't build under them are one story. You can run the lines over some of those same buildings.

Finally figured out forklifts, theirs a video on the tube that shows you where those pathways are that you build for them, so I didn't really figure it out Weird the excavator can drive on roads but the forklift is forbidden to. It must drive on its own special paths. The excavator, as soon as I got it, just took off down the road to fill up with gas. You can import for lifts or build them in the auto plant and I guess haul them on that truck to the fork lift garages.

THEN, I had no way of moving cars from the auto plant to the dealership, I could order them to drive there one at a time, finally I saw in the fine print of one of the descriptions of one of the trucks that cars could be loaded on its flat bed, which is normally covered. Devs haven't made a dedicated car hauler yet I guess, so the work around I guess was shrinking the cars while they are being hauled so that six will fit on that truck. I haven't looked but I figure their is a train car that will haul them, maybe the Soviets didn't have a car hauling truck/trailor. These guys seem to be Russian who are making the game so not much goes into it that isn't Soviet.

I am bad at running bus lines, I was and still am bad at bus lines in transport tycoon, so my personal work around is just at first importing cars and selling them to everyone but now that I have a working auto plant I just build cars and sell them. In TTD, I just had everything on trains. YOU MUST if you do this, make the cars and the parking lots available to all, no loyalty level, age or education restriction. As long as they have gas stations they don't get stuck but man the traffic is getting bad in that one city I built. It will get worse in the city a few miles away cause I'm hauling cars there and selling them as well.

This is my first scenario so I let myself have all the money I want while I figure the game out. I don't use the sandbox unlimited money mode, instead I downloaded a small program that I just change the amount I have because in the unlimited money mode its just says unlimited so you can't see if you are turning a profit or not. When I was just selling electricity I was making money, building out the industry has cost hundreds of millions of Rubles because of all the mistakes I've made.

It can be, if you enable all of it, the most complicated I've ever seen, its gets fairly simple if you turn parts of it off. I don't have loyalty turned on but I'm always getting warnings about that and happiness. You still lose people due to unhappiness so I am always having to recruit new immigrants, Joe Biden doesn't have that problem, they come in droves even though we've got plenty LOL. I need to learn how to assign people to jobs and apartments close to their job or for other reasons.

Some of that up there could be wrong but I will be back with more of Bailing's Soviet Union later, where I will correct the mistake above and tell more of my Soviet adventure.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, it sounds like the game is keeping you busy and out of trouble.

Urh, yeah. The old Joe from the USSR could have learned from the new and improved Joe of today. Our very own Joe.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to call myself an idiot again, I saw arrows on all of the equipment but never thought to look which way they were pointing, YES MORON IF IT POINTS IN ITS AN INLET. Had to tear down some stuff. Then found out that yes theirs a refinery but if you just want oil, in the game, it doesn't have to be refined, you want fuel, yes.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been up for more than 48 hours, not cause of the game, its my usual fall insomnia event, I been using the game to keep me sane LOL. Man I make some bad game choices when I haven't slept.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started a new game, it seems I'm worse the 2nd time around than the first cause now I know all the game can do and I try to do it all and then I'm soon out of money So I used the save game editor and gave myself some more money I'm an old fashioned commiein some ways, I am into mining and drilling but the flaw in my personal communism is I'm not hard enough on the loyalty thing so it seems many of my citizens are not so loyal so their productivity is not so good. I should stick the disloyal in the bad apartments, farther from the pleasure provided by the party, such as the huge shopping center, the cinema and the pub but I just let everyone live wherever and I do not put up enough commie monuments to get them to be more loyal.

This game seems to be mostly modded by first the Polish and then the Russians. With the poles, you could recreate the cold war version of Lublin and what they've made is always described in English and their native language. The Russians, well with some of the most prolific modders from Russia, you might need to learn the language cause they don't do English and they don't post very many pictures of it either.

Tonight I TRY THE NEW TRAIN SIGNALS.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 11-10-2021 at 11:15 PM.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bailing_Out View Post
    ... Then found out that yes theirs a refinery but if you just want oil, in the game, it doesn't have to be refined, you want fuel, yes.
    Wtf! I see your problem, you aren't using renewable energy to run your railroad. Go green!

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wtf! I see your problem, you aren't using renewable energy to run your railroad. Go green!
    You can play the game with pollution turned on, what that does I don't know since I haven't done it. I figure you get warnings about it and maybe citizens become unahappy and leave or die earlier.

I'm just an old polluting communist in the game.

So far no train crashes tonight using signals.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got tracks fixed, looks like spaghetti in places but when you run a bunch trains a bunch of places that happens. The signals are no longer the problem. The trains act like they have their own brains and they sometimes get anxiety and won't move. It shows the problem but when you look its not a problem, the trains brain is messed up and if it has been messed up long enough, you may as well sell it and get another because no matter what you do its will do nothing but go to the depot. I've even figured how to find other things that are ACTUALLY causing the problems even if I'm told the problem is is in one place and I look and nothing is there but if I trace the track its going to run, I can find if their is an actual problem.

Their was the one time where the problem was somehow on a track it was never going to run on. The other trains running on that track had no problem with the problem, they just kept going.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 11-12-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how much International Harvester equipment went to the Soviet Union during the cold war but the Russians seem to make quite a few IH vehicles and equipment as mods. Ford trucks though seem to be the most popular among US equipment mods.

Someone had the great idea of making underground conveyor belts, the routing can get very complicated when above ground stuff gets in the way. Sure you can truck everything but the conveyors are much more efficient and they don't get depressed and anxious when I cut a street the truck needs while trying to fix something else.

Quarry some rock, convey it to the processor to turn it to gravel, well I need a gravel storage but I also want to make cement so I already have 3 conveyors with one going to the cement plant, now I need to make building panels so another couple of conveyors, if you add a rail line to haul gravel other places well you need another conveyor to the loader for the train. A dude made a no clip conveyor, meaning no collision with other things so you can stick it anywhere pretty much but even with that it becomes a hard puzzle cause the supports for the belt in between the conveyor motors are not no collision. Some would say I need to improve my planning Thats not as likely as me using the underground conveyor.

As far as city/country/business builders go, this is the best, you can make it as hard as hell or easy as pie. I'm somewhere in between. Many of players seem to want to make it look a certain way, mainly historical and aren't so much into making it work until after it looks right. The hunt for the right bus skin is never ending. I'm trying to make it work and it looks like .

I have learned how to keep citizens, give them stuff to do when they aren't working, pubs and shopping work well but you also need cultural stuff and sports. All that along with sticking Stalin statues and other Soviet symbols in many places to keep their loyalty up. Those disloyal SOB's don't work hard

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good gaud! It gets to some detail. I get the impression that the conveyors can be very long. Miles long?

Yes, it must be built to look as historical as possible. I like the gray, depressing look. Sure, lots of Stalin statues. But instead of instilling loyalty, they need to install fear: work or to the Gulag with you! But you can add all the underground merchandise from the decadent West; like blue jeans to keep people secretly content. Form cells of revolutionaries to resist Stalin's yoke! BUT, if you don't build it right, the resistance is discovered and a large part of your population is killed. If done right, you win the game with Yankee Doodle Dandy blaring across the land.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can run for miles, I have some I think that run for two miles.

Mine is not very historical looking, I am more into making it work and to make the workers work Stalin and other Soviet symbols must be ubiquitous. Oh hell no, buying in dollars is much too expensive, my workers get Soviet made clothes and other things. The Vodka of course is goooooood. Started making my own alcohol in game recently, I have plenty of land to grow crops to make booze.

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY WILL NEVER PLAY IN
    THE SOVIET REPUBLIC OF BAILINGSCOVITCHIA

I have yet to play a game to complete bankruptcy, still doing the learning part. So Yankee Doodle Dandy could actually still play LOL

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried making money off of tourism but that is failing LOL. I can only make the money counter go up shipping out cars, oil, fuel and steel. I seen guys talk about how they made money on tourism.

I can't imagine how bad I'm going to be trying the game on the hardest/Cosmonaut level. You cannot import anything. I'm not sure you can pay outside contractors to build stuff, I don't know how you'd start without that.

I mean without the construction office nothing can be built, not even the construction office. So maybe its just no importing. Hopefully you can export or I'll be broke in no time.

My old saves are like old friends I go back and visit, "Oh hell I forgot to do this" and then I spend 2 hours fixing it but I haven't actually fixed everything.

Also, I think in Cosmonaut level I have to keep the people happier and more loyal or they leave, as it is, I just keep them warm, drunk and fed.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game is one sale for 22.50

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing an honest game, no using the edit the save program this time for more money. Doing okay as long as my trains don't get stuck some place and keep hauling off oil products. I still don't have that intersection and loading station fixed properly. The nuclear fuel I'm selling is making a buttload of money if I could get people to go to work in the fabrication plants I'd make more. I think the last update made making them happy more important, they don't leave but they also don't crowd in to get the jobs and in some cases just live there.

Party loyalty seems to be more important so spending money on more Lenin statues and other stuff like that. May have to get a secret police going, I'LL MAKE THOSE A HOLES LOYAL BYGOD!!

Bout to go play it again, starting my steel and auto industry and all the crap that goes with it. Without the endless supply of money its going to be a pain.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bailing_Out View Post
    ... May have to get a secret police going, I'LL MAKE THOSE A HOLES LOYAL BYGOD!!...
    Fund the secret police. We need more mask loyalty!

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The masks, the so called vax, the virus.

https://off-guardian.org/2021/12/13/...ands-lockdown/ <-- she writes about the how similar this all is to how things were under communism in Poland.

‘So long as they act in accordance with ‘socialist realism’ they are automatically and inescapably enrolled among the followers of Stalin.
    ‘Socialist realism’ is much more than a matter of taste, of preference for one style of painting or music rather than another. It is concerned with the beliefs which lie at the foundation of human existence. In the field of literature, it forbids what has in every age been the writer’s essential task – to look at the world from his own independent viewpoint, to tell the truth as he sees it, and so to keep watch and ward in the interest of society as a whole. It preaches a proper attitude of doubt in regard to a merely formal system of ethics but itself makes all judgement of values dependent upon the interest of the dictatorship.’
    Czeslaw Milosz in The Captive Mind, 1952
    Vaclav Havel asks:
    Is it not true that the far-reaching adaptability to living a lie and the effortless spread of social auto-totality have some connection with the general unwillingness of consumption oriented people to sacrifice some material certainties for the sake of their own spiritual and moral integrity? […] With their vulnerability to the attractions of mass indifference?
    I almost took the vax, when I was still at work. People will tell me, I took it and I'm okay but then they get the virus anyway and I look at them like, okay you took it but now you know it doesn't work, would you still take it today? I never actually ask that except in my head. I had it once, likely can't get it again but those who got the vax can get it over and over again.

The last 2 years have been finding out the conspiracy folks were right. Their is a list of things that were called nutty conspiracies a year to 18 months ago by the people who support the authoritarian virus response, I can't find it right now, they've all come true. Also IMO this was done by our government and the commies in China, people are getting filthy rich off of it and the authoritarian left gets to smash people in the places they hold power.

I watched a doctor, a US government doctor, say to people that the masks don't work and then, to keep his job he recommended wearing masks because that is/was/what day is it, the official government position and to say otherwise would lose him his job.

I watched a leftist, pansy, nutjob tell a man not wearing a mask that he should get 25 to life for trying to murder him. They talk about a civil war and I now say, with who? Those guys? Wouldn't you feel bad about killing something so pathetic? The right wing would cut through the left in 6 weeks even though it has way more old people than the left does.

In other words I've watched a virus, a non vaccine and a doctor who in the 80's experimented on orphans, Aids sufferers and who also tortured dogs become a cult.

People will get the virus after being "fully vaccinated" with boosters and then get on the ****ter and say they can't wait to get their next booster. These people would all have drank the koolaide that day down in central America.

Hey, I forgot to post this, these guys prove their was a shooter on the grassy knoll. First one I seen to examine the blood and bone and where it flew. So, now I'm back on the side of the JFK conspiracist and I'm on the side of many things that have been proven not to be some nutty conspiracy recently.

Last edited by Bailing_Out; 12-31-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, they've done went too far and made a Thomas the tank Engine for Workers & Resources. Its based on a LB&SCR E2 class engine. One commenter said
    Everyday we stray further from god's light
    steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always built ugly cities in the game and still do but now I don't have to tear stuff down to make room for something I have to have, its now organized ugliness.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, if they weren't ugly, it wouldn't be realistic to the Soviet era. Yes, organized ugliness is right.