Today
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at us old farts

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

I won't lie, I figure that as long as this place lives I can't die. 13 years of this (actually being registered) and I wish it was like it was when I found it 16 years ago or more. I think now that I might now out live it though I do not want to.

I keep thinking, "why the hell did everyone leave" and sometimes I blame myself cause of my politics, I swear I'd never talk politics if I thought it would keep it like it was. I'd let Gymbo and Kommi dominate, I just want it back to the way it was. I had a hand in it though, I know that. I do not think I was unreasonable, I think I made valid arguments but I wouldn't make a single one of them if it could be like it was.

But its like my youth, I can't get it back, told my grand daughter today, "yeah Papa used to be able to do this and that" and some of it I can still do but she knows Papa can't do all the stuff he used to do when she was four or five. Life sucks LOL
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Look at us old farts

Indeed, the good ol' days are past. Long live the new good ol' days. Maybe those are elsewhere.

I would like to see more guys post and more often. FYI, there have been about 40 individuals who have logged in to visit one or more times in recent months. Of course to read any posts in the public forums, there is no need to login so I expect there are more who visit. My count doesn't include registered people that have never posted at WaW. F'em!
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Registered User Allies 30 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is 94P|Pf peppervieze's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why hello there old friends

How's everyone doing? Bailing, I think it's that communities change and people find new games and things to enjoy. There are so many games out there and so many people to play with! I mostly play singleplayer games these days with your odd DCS World online session thrown in there. I still keep in touch with Pekko, Marcus and Franciscus. If those names ring any bells to you old farts!

Yesterday I remembered that it was 11 years ago and 2 months now since I joined up... Time flies, but it gave me some fantastic moments to remember!

So... hello! glad to see you!

Damned if we do, no fun if we don't

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
    George Carlin

Registered User Scapegoat
    Last Online
    09-11-2020
    Country
    This is AB*Rct KullaN's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit funny, I log in about maybe one time per year to see if there's anything left, low and behold; Bailing out has posted just a few days before, followed by others. It's a bit silly, but had I logged in a week ago, I'd have seen nothing interesting

I rarely play nowadays, with most of my time going to maintenance and repair of our old farm, but same as Pepper, when it happens it's usually single player...

Hello from (southern) Sweden to you all, some thirteen years and change later!
    Too old stuff in this place, all my hostings have been removed

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see you both
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 94P|Pf peppervieze View Post
    Why hello there old friends

How's everyone doing? Bailing, I think it's that communities change and people find new games and things to enjoy. There are so many games out there and so many people to play with! I mostly play singleplayer games these days with your odd DCS World online session thrown in there. I still keep in touch with Pekko, Marcus and Franciscus. If those names ring any bells to you old farts!

Yesterday I remembered that it was 11 years ago and 2 months now since I joined up... Time flies, but it gave me some fantastic moments to remember!

So... hello! glad to see you!
    Funny that you use the IRL name for Kullan & me, but not for Tristan errr Franny

Just joined the new CMP campaign today btw! (Axis 3rd Intl Company), turns out their campaign starts next Friday at 7pm UTC (which I'm assuming is London time) There looks to be a few WaWers still active there

Last time I properly played FH2 was in 2012, so it's gonna be a bit of a learning curve, but hopefully see a bunch of you from the end of my barrel - campaign or pub server.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

World at War
    Tournament Admin
    Swede Chef
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is [WaW]TA|Stubbfan's Country Flag

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

Still lurking around. Still modding fh2. Same old .
    Kullan, where in Sweden are you now?

Paasky ffs! Come find me on CMP discord right away. There's modding to be done ;D

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    09-17-2020
    Country
    This is Buzz Adams's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys. Good to see some guys post in these forums. Hope everyone is doing well. After a CABGx3 OHS I am still around, live and kicking. I joined CMP but I have not played in one scrim,tournament, or anything. Looks fun over there. I wish WAW had some sort of an FH2 tournament going. Times have changed, people have moved on. Technology has kinda passed us up. I don't really play much at all. I log into FH2 every now and then and get on the public server. I do miss gaming with you guys. I'll be 63 in a few days. My profile says I joined in 2006, and I thought it was actually before that I started playing here. Have a great week everyone!
    Last edited by Buzz Adams; 09-17-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Registered User Axis 29 Scheutze
    Last Online
    09-21-2020
    Country
    This is Cyan Winters's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am probably one of those 40, Melvin. I peek in every so often when I think of it, just to see if anyone I played closely alongside is still kicking around. Sadly things have, as you noted bailing_out, gotten quite quiet. The reunion posts are fewer and further between, and those from what I consider the best ol' days of WaW (Campaign 9 of course) are mostly all gone. At least, the Allied tankers are.

Relatively speaking I was just a kid back then, not even to college yet, but I still think of those 12 hour Saturdays (and all the nonsense Sunday-Friday) as fondly as any gaming memory I have. My only real regret is not staying close with the small group of folks I spent day in and day out with on TS. I'm still Facebook friends with a few (Kaaae, Jenkl, bUm, and Jokkesmokke) but have not spoken to any of them in quite some time. Last I spoke with Jokke he had lost all confidence in his English speaking, as he had long since quit having a need to use it with any frequency. Kind of a weird thing, but it really struck me and was quite sad. So much time has passed even though some of the memories remain very clear.

I don't think anyone could have prevented what happened here. The tournament was very much a product of its time in many ways, and attempting to re-create it was never going to work out (imo). Particularly with the WW2 milsim genre being a pretty sad state of affairs, arguably, since FH1/2. But even without that, the core group has aged well beyond being able to swing the commitments needed and those that are now the age we were then have a thousand times more options to occupy their gaming and social/technology time.

I miss what this place was, but nothing would ever get me back. Chasing nostalgia never works out, better to just savor the memories.
    Last edited by Cyan Winters; 09-21-2020 at 02:31 AM.
    [34GD]GT|Kpt. Cyan Winters
    Excellence in tanks since Campaign 6
    [6][7][8][9][10][11][12][20][21][22][23][24][27]

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is Thawk's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s some names I haven’t seen in a while. What a funny coincidence that I decided to log in now having not in years and notice in my profile activity feed that Buzz and Kullan posted here in a call back thread!

Definitely miss the good ole days, but I think part of that nostalgia is I joined here 4 days after my 14th birthday and my times here coincided with having absolutely no life commitments!! I’m now coming fast on 30 and all the responsibilities that come with it.

I recently got back in contact with our very own riskmanagement and play in a Post Scriptum clan with him. I still keep up the gaming, community wise with ARMA and PS but mostly with RL friends now on disco!

I think communities just naturally ebb and flow though, we all joined at certain similar life stages and effectively grew up alongside eachother and life commitments get in the way, people leave and it causes a cascade of sorts as more and more people leave as their group of friends all slowly head off. And then we get replaced by the next generation of school and college folks who have the spare time.

But I must have been affected by my time here anyway as I’m finishing my 6th year now as an Army Officer. I like the think the foundations of my tactical thinking/career path started here playing 24 hours trying to take some random flag on a hill

Anyway, my nostalgia trip had me missing the good old days something fierce, miss you all folks and I hope life is being good to you all!

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh hell I could never do that 12 hour stuff anymore. It got pared down to fewer hours and I think some just said "it aint the same". Well it never could be. I wasn't young when I did that, late 30's early 40's, now in my later 50's, no way. I can edit ARMA for hours. Then like you said Thawk, all you teenagers had to get lives, careers, jobs, all us old folks already had them. We could say "I'm doing this for several hours cause I'm kinda set up, I'm gonna go to practice". Well I never made many practices much cause they were during either work or sleep hours but you know what I mean. The campaigns were additions to lives we already had.

Anyway, I think some thought it had to be like a campaign or the campaigns and it never had to be that. Weirdly, people didn't or don't seem to causally game together here.