Today
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New PC possible build

What I want to know from any of you is have you heard if having the OS on an M2 drive causes any problems

Any other thoughts you may have. No I did not get liquid cooling, I've heard you have to change the fluid on those and I have not always been the most fastidious about PC cleaning so changing the damn fluid every 6 months probably isn't going to happen. I will improve the cooling in my own way. OH GOD ITS BAILING OUT WITH A ****ING SAW!!

• *BASE_PRICE: [+1485
    • CAS: CyberPowerPC INFERNO Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ RGB, USB 3.0, Tempered Glass Window [-4] (Black Color)
    • CPU: Intel? Core? Processor i5-9600K 3.70GHZ 9MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 [-240]
    • CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Case Fans for your selected case [+9]
    • FAN: DeepCool GAMMAXX GT RGB CPU Air Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120mm RGB low-noise PWM Fan with vibration rubber pad [-2]
    • HDD: 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/2300 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 250/550k [+19] (Single Drive)
    • MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+9] (ADATA XPG Z1 [+9])
    • MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z390 UD ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 1 M.2 SATA/PCIe
    • MOUSE: None [-3]
    • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    • POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair RM Series RM850 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+81]
    • VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 590 8GB GDDR5 Video Card [VR Ready] [-67] (Single Card)
    • _PRICE: (+1351)

Ok I will be getting the 480 gig m2 drive but other than that this will be it. I messed up somehow and ended up with the 250 gig. That is the I 9 processor line, the latest one its just an i5 processor. Maybe later get an I9 and a better vid card, had to save money somewhere. I will likely have to have ankle surgery in the next two years if someone can find what is wrong with it. 8 x rays and no one knows.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 08-18-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New PC possible build

Well I cannot order it right now. My bill to ship to addresses are different and no one is online to chat with me. This is better than cyberpower used to be. Back when I bought this one, one of them stole my credit card number when I sent it back with a bad motherboard. Fortunately cap one was watching and when one of them tried to use it and they called me. "Are you in Wisconsin right now or is your card", I answered no and they hung up.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New pc doesn't work. On wife's iPad. They did not properly install win 10. Stuck 7 drive in it. 7 will start but no drivers since cyber power did not do it right. Try many things no internet no usb and I figure why the m2 drive won't work. They did not put the pcie drivers so even with 7 running I can't see it as a hard drive. Taking to geek squad since last time I sent pc back to cyber power someone there stole my credit card and tried to use it. Maybe the geeks will work on a non Best Buy computer.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on old PC, going to download and install 10 on one of the old drives. Have the drives just laying on the desk outside the PC cause I didn't feel like mounting them again.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More work to do on the new one, I won't send it back because the last time I did someone at cyberpower stole my credit card number. Windows will not allow me to install 10 on this one so I can stick it in the new one, install drivers and run it. I don't have any idea why it won't install on this one, windows was trying to get me to do that 5 years ago on this one.

Going to make images of the motherboards cd's, it has two, maybe install the drivers off of them if I am allowed to. The new one has no place to plug up a dvd drive and I can't run it in through the usb ports cause they have no drivers.

It may end up being the motherboard has problems but I don't think so cause I can run 7 on it, I just cannot install drivers and its because of the hardware restrictions after microsoft decided you can't use 7 on gen 9 hardware. Which is really none of their business. They want 10 on everything new because they can make money off of the spyware if you do not use any of the programs that have been made to disable it. Thats my opinion anyway. They didn't get in on the money making spy stuff Goggggle, FB and Twit do since none of the social media stuff they did was popular.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is always darkest before the dawn. I somehow destroyed win 7, went back to XP, reinstalled 7, which helped quite a bit, my old install was a screwed up dual boot and I don't think that was ever going to do the job of getting win 10 onto the old hard drive. SO I got it on there put it into the new pc and suddenly much of the stuff works, it connects to the internet in a flash, so the drivers were there, Microsoft just would not allow me to run 7 on it. I have a good story about the trick used to get win 10 on there but this thing does not want to type.

It will be a long war, I still have much to do, believe me. I have to disable all this ****, Microsoft <-- see that word there, it capitalized itself and it has done so every time I have typed it. It is a wonder it did not put the logo right beside it. So far this is a total **** OS. It hangs like it is win 98 with 2 viruses, doing anything is a pain, including typing this in IE which is itself is a piece of ****.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh FireFox.

The story so far.

I was born in a house my father rented, ok not that far back.

I hooked up the new one and nothing, will not start even though win 10 is on the m2 drive. It says so in the uefi bios but while the bios can see it and run it, as soon as windows tries to start, apparently no drivers. I finally figured out the buttholes at cyberpower had used another pc to install 10 on the m2 drive and then stuck it into this one but this one had no driver to run the damn hole the m2 was stuck in. I moved onto the next thing getting 10 onto my other ssd out of the old computer.

I kept trying to install 10 from an ISO (while running win 7 on this new one) onto this new one, thing is, the ISO program isn't running unless windows is running so that failed until I realized that. I tried to install to the old one but even with a win 10 dvd I made it would not work. This is days of moving drives from one computer to another and downloading **** which I could not do on the new one since it had no drivers for anything but the hard drives.

Put the old one back together and try to get 10 on it with the win 10 tool, should be simple right? HELLL NOOOO. Did it with the tool, made an ISO, no. Finally I just spend time reading **** but none of the solutions really fit, they have drivers on the pc but it still won't work. I read about making a USB stick and that didn't work when I tried it but some guy gave the other guy a solution, real complicated command line crap to delete certain files from the microsoft tools USB stick which I wasn't going to do but I kept that tab open thank god. Then I read some guy who talked about how the OS and tool, when it makes the USB stick, basically makes the damn thing twice, its there on the hard drive under C. They went on to talk about something else and I moved on.

Now it took my old brain a day to put these two together. Finally Eureka, I can delete those files from the version made on C without all the command line crap. It was supposed to be 3 files but my version only had 2 of them and I got them gone. They make the installer look for things it shouldn't look for or you don't need it to look for when your are on an old pc like mine or like my new one with no drivers on the damn thing.

IT INSTALLS ON MY OLD PC!! And it took less time than it said it would. Now I don't think it liked being on that old thing but it would work. Take the hard drive out of old pc and put it in this one, use the uefi bios to make it load my old ssd first and

HALLELUJAH
    HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH !!!!

It runs and suddenly it has internet, its USB holes work and I get get online while trying to make the rest of it work without having to move the hard drive to the old one or using the damned old Ipad. There were other problems in there that caused problems, like moving 7 to the new one, well suddenly it wasn't genuine windows anymore and I couldn't activate it on the new one, I am pretty sure that caused some problems. The M2 drive took over and the computer will not allow 10 to be run from the old drive anymore, don't care. I have used that usb stick to repair this install twice after doing certain things that I don't remember to make the vid card work.

I have used restores more on this thing than I ever did on the old one in 10 years while trying to get the video card to work on this thing. the computer would freeze every time I tried any type of installation of a new driver. Today I decided to uninstall all the things that came with 10 that are supposed to install chipset and all other hard ware drivers. I also stopped windows from doing any hardware driver installation. Then I decided to use the two tools I have used for more than 10 years to keep the old one going. Windows tweaking repair and cccleaner.

Suddenly my computer knows what my video card is but right now it won't install a good driver for it but at least the computer doesn't freeze up if I try so no more thread stuck in device driver. I know some people say those tools don't do that much and cccleaner gets bashed all the time but I've never understood all of that.

I'm getting the chipset drivers and other stuff online, the stuff that came with the hardware to install them does not work very well. I should have the video card working tonight, maybe I will fix the sound tonight.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried every trick on the internet to get the video card to work. Still, every time, win 10 crashes because of THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER.

7 NEVER PULLED THAT **** ON ME!!! Damn 10 just crashes all the time, I tell you it is the return of win 98 from the grave, I freaking mean it, it is the revenge of win 98. I did get rid of most of the spyware so thats good.

So now I will pull the card out and try it in the other slot in a little while, not right now, I'm sick of screwing with this thing. If that doesn't work, well I guess its going to the geek squad. If they can't do it the card is going back to XFX or cyberpower. The computer is not going back unless the geeks say its the motherboard. I might install the old radeon 5850 into this thing, its has some issues but it still worked.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old 5850 works in the same slot, drivers installed without a hitch. I may take it out, reinstall windows and then try installing the new card. If I find a way on the internet to blank out the drivers on the card without ruining it I might try that. Have no clue if that can be done with it out of the computer.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about installing Linux and running Win 7 in a virtual machine, 10 just sucks.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the card back, it works. If I install linux it will be by itself, no windows.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultra settings in ARMA don't look as good as regular to me

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read about using Linux with games and even in ARMA 3, an older game now, its a pain. So I guess I am stuck with 10 for a little bit. There are home made drivers for 7 but I have to get installing them down pat before I try it and I am not sure my video card has home made drivers. The people who make those thing aren't really gamers, oh they game but thats not the main purpose of the drivers. They are bench markers, or thats what I call them. The great thing about them is they spend their time making computers work as hard as possible to get those marks. So all they care about is those marks. They couldn't give 2 shets about anything else, they know 10 won't get those marks so they don't bother with 10. They or someone else just make drivers for 7 that will do it. If they have to use home made drivers they do it, they don't give a crap. Thing is I don't need that, I need drivers that will work not matter what.

That will be a chore if I use win 7.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't want to be a Daryl Downer, but I'm afraid if you couldn't get Win 7 working with your new system, you're going to keep having problems. There may just be some games, apps, etc that you won't be able to run on Win 10, much less trying to get a VM Win 7 to work under Linux. I did everything possible not to go to Win 10 and succeeded... thank the gauds!

Sorry, no help here. I expect you have been trying forums that are focused on PC support like you need. Have you tried https://www.sevenforums.com/ assuming you go back to Win 7?

If you're staying with Win 10, I wonder which version you have? Not "Home" or "Pro" terminology, but actual revision number. They have been running two or three separate branches.

A site I watch that follows Win 10 is https://www.askwoody.com/ but there should be many out there. I read Win 10 is a nightmare for some and that Microsoft is basically loosing interest in supporting traditional Windows. There is more money to be made in the cloud and with subscriptions. Maybe the best Microsoft product to own these days is their stock! Year-to-date, MSFT has gone up 43%.

-- Daryl Downer
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can probably get 7 to work, the hardware being the main problem since no 7 drivers for new stuff are officially made. They have home made drivers for 7 for everything on my motherboard but I don't know about the video card which I have not researched yet.

Edit I found out I have the 1903 version of 10, build 18362.418

When I am in ARMA3 I don't notice 10 being a problem, that and the internet were my only worries. Firefox seems to work well and Steam seems to work well and so does ARMA. I don't do a whole lot else on a computer.

Soon I may try do some stuff that I did on 7 that I am not remembering now, if it doesn't work, thats when I may get motivated to find the way to make all the hardware work with 7.

Quite frankly, all the time it took me to get it to work kind of burnt me out on tinkering with it. I love to tinker with shet so now you know how much of a pain it was, I wrote it above in a previous post but doing it was even worse than it sounds when written. I can only do so many "well that didn't work so now this or that half worked so now I will do this to try to get the other half" then their is the "this guy did this or that guy did that and I will try those things out" believe me I've been on the forums reading and doing those things. I was more than three weeks on that, it burnt me out.

The reason I still have a job where I do is the fact I won't stop till I force a machine to do what I want or they want as close to perfect as possible. They would have fired me for disciplinary reasons long ago if not for that.

Off topic rant:
    One night they told me me to do something that was not my job and I basically said no and someone got pissed and I said "the reason they don't fire me is not because of doing a job any damn new hire can do, go get one to do it". In other words I was telling them, they aint gonna fire me for telling you no to this. They have had plenty of better reasons to do so in the past.

On Topic:
    So in conclusion
    I have made it work good enough for now, I have disabled many of the more annoying win 10 things. I will find more ways to disable more of it in the future. I will damn sure never like it as much as I liked XP or even as much as I liked 7 no matter what I do to it. I no longer have an XP install to do antivirus with or to delete things that 7 would not allow me to delete but if I can get Linux to work I will have that soon.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ah version 1903. You may be interested in the latest post to https://www.askwoody.com/ :
    November 2019 Patch Tuesday arrives ? along with Win10 version 1909
    https://www.askwoody.com/2019/novemb...esday-arrives/ (permanent link)

It talks about 1903 and 1909. Beware of automatic updates, changing one version to another.
    MS-DEFCON 2: Make sure Automatic Update is temporarily switched off
    https://www.askwoody.com/2019/ms-def...ly-turned-off/ (permanent link)

I have stayed away from loading up my few remaining brain cells with Win 10 information. At least until I move to Win 10... that is, when hell freezes over.

Off-topic -- Oh yeah. Bosses. If they didn't sign a paycheck, they could be done without.
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah when I went to a site about killing more win 10 stuff it said to disable update and wait to see what happens with this nights patch. I killed off several more things along with turning updates off.

I found out their are two ways to make a linux iso, or two programs used to make it. I used the one that did not work on this computer. So I will go back and find the other. I used balena etcher and it won't install even in the linux compatibility mode.

The 7 forums will be a help but this site is where I think I saw the home made drivers https://forums.guru3d.com/. I wish I had bookmarked the page I saw them instead of just the home page.

Edit: home made drivers page for win 7 on z390 and other new motherboards, its not on either of those forums above https://www.win-raid.com/t4883f52-So...t-systems.html
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 11-13-2019 at 05:42 AM.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good. I now recall win-raid forums from way back in the olden times.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wherever you find bench markers nowadays you will find someone that knows how to get rid of 10. I didn't think anything bench markers did would ever be useful to anyone like me, I never understood their obsession, still don't really.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what you mean by "bench markers". You mean people who like to compete with others building PC's to have higher benchmark results? I don't care about that, either. But I do use benchmarks to help test and locate serious performance problems. For example, benchmarks that exercise particular components or subsystems of my PC. For instance, disk I/O or memory access performance to make sure I have things configured properly.

No, a desire not to use Windows 10 doesn't necessarily mean because one thinks one gets better performance without it. Win 10 has issues. I mentioned Microsoft has a couple different version trees out there which is funky at best. And since they cut their quality testing resources, they seem to rely on their customers to test their product. That's why www.askwoody.com has the MS-DEFCON system for when to install patches. If you want to be a beta tester for Microsoft, then keep Automatic updates active; they'll take good care of you.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the competitive guys. The ones I've read don't like 10 much or 8 or 8.1, they like to use 7 for it.