Today
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARMA 3 stuff

I know this is or was a WWII place. Still I'm going to tell you this, we can have a great time playing modern ARMA3. I do it all the time. In a video game its hardly different from playing WWII. Scenarios are easy to restrict to certain weapons and vehicles to make it a bit less modern and even when you don't the fighting is basically the same. The only full servers are the restricted ones anyway, no modern jets no tanks. Keep the tilt rotor and jump out like its an old plane you paradrop from, ditch the choppers. Keep the unguided rockets, ditch the guided rockets and firing an AT rocket is still an ART like it was in WWII. I AM THE LEONARDO OF THAT ****!! Some of you have been killed by my artistry in FH1 and 2. Ok you still have to have the WWII planes cause the moderns dominate so you cut them out but you do not allow the guided missiles. The scenarios are easy enough to make that way. You make the loadouts like I make them and make ammo boxes that only have the allowed shet. Put WWII tanks on it only, the rockets will destroy them easy enough but so did the old rockets.

I play King of the Hill all the time, it is not different in many ways than the stuff we have all played here in the past. All of the servers that are played and aren't empty, you know what they do? They take out the long range **** except for snipers. They are also player versus player. NO 2KM kills with a tank or some **** from a modern jet. You know why? Most people don't enjoy that stuff. We could make a server that played kinda like that but with some WWII **** added. I keep thinking when I play those servers "THIS IS WWII STUFF" only its with modern weapons. They've just restricted it to the point you may as well be playing WWII.

"Well Bailing it is not all WWII", no it is not, it is a total mix up. You'd have to start off with modern weapons restricted then add the WWII stuff later, get them to come here for announcements of added WWII stuff. It is what I play all the time but without the WWII stuff which I miss. It is all player versus player with no bots or AI which fills servers up. Hostile takeover and Code Four both have full servers, 2 of them each actually but only on the restricted ones that have no jets or modern tanks. People don't like that, its not fun being killed from 3 miles away by a guy who isn't really in the game at all.

You work it till you get just WWII stuff in the game with a group of players who have played the mix version who will tell others how much fun it is.

Anyway, I'm drunk as hell and this is what was on my mind.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    12-13-2019
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: ARMA 3 stuff

I'm not a fan for public servers mixing mostly small arms combat with very high tech, one-shot kills from miles away, or fire-and-forget range weapons. Yep, as you say, it makes sense that the mostly populated ARMA 3 servers have weapon restrictions.

In part, I like the WWII scenario for historic reasons. But mostly the fun of play for me in a FPS is what you are talking about. In my fun ranking, it is just after teamwork and squad tactics. For a tournament, I might have some higher tech but leaving it out of public servers seems the right thing.

Maybe Wir3tap or another admin with knowledge could set up an ARMA 3 server with appropriate restrictions. I don't know the status of ARMA 3 server capabilities here. Also, I think you guys that were working on the IFA3 stuff could take over admin of such a server.

Currently, Steam sells ARMA 3 for $30. I think there was a good sale not too long ago, so it might be a while until another, but I dunno.
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of what I wrote is confused by being slightly drunk.

Mixing the two probably wouldn't work. Maybe the WWII tanks would work but there are some "less tough" armored vehicles in the modern game. How that could be configured is easy enough to do. You just have the Abrams and other modern super tank copies not spawn. I forget that not much of anything actually spawns in ARMA, it is there from the beginning its just not seen.

I have not done much scenario editing in months but I think I will try to make a mixed version. Some of the modern machine guns and assault rifles would get left out probably.

I would like to have the "store" they use on King of the Hill but with the prices being free but they've been getting a bit touchy with the competing versions of the mod or whatever it is. The stats are no longer shared between them and you have people who will only play one server or the other, players taking sides didn't help much. We should have just ignored the dust up. Some of them pay to play though. Some players pay and they can get on the server when its mostly full whereas I cannot, so they are going to take the side of the server they are paying to be on. I play both servers though the Hostile takeover has the spawn on other players perk you can play with which makes it better IMO. You aren't driving, flying or being flown to the city you are fighting over after being killed. I must have spawned 100 guys last night just sneaking around in the bushes and houses. I was a bit too drunk to shoot very strait. They do hunt the spawners.

So in conclusion I will try to make a mixed version, put it out to whoever and see what people think. I have to keep some of the WWII mods/mod pieces out of it since they do not update themselves in a way that allows the game to use them. I can't remember the error it throws but its annoying.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Messing with it now, my memory about how to do all this stuff is not good. Thankfully I did save some crap to use.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no telling what an ARMA 3 update/updates will do to your, actually my old stuff/setups. My old respawns worked when I stopped editing, they still work mostly but I have them setup where if your side did not own the sector in the trigger condition, you could not spawn in that sector. Now, if the sector is owned by no one, you can spawn there, both sides. Once one side takes it then it hides the others respawn.

Now I tried something to fix this that used to caused either nothing to happen or a problem. I hooked a trigger right to a respawn position and set the condition for each side that if if they owned the sector they could spawn, ****ING WORKED!! Had to make the trigger the same size as the sector or did I? I am going back to see if I had to or not. I think it works anyway, only me on the map so maybe not.

I have a test mission made with old and new stuff. Tried to keep the downloads needed to the minimum. They have added a T-55 tanks to the mix and I put that in there along with the 72. Still haven't found 50's, 60's or 70's era US tanks. May have looked in the wrong spot. I have old loadout from a WWII scenario I made, I haven't added modern weapon loadouts to the mix, going to do that tomorrow maybe.

Also Melvin, the way I make the scenarios, you only have access to the stuff I let you have access to. No need to restrict something on the server. I have some modern stuff but no super tanks or jets. Will use prop planes only and choppers.

I'm going to have to find some jeeps you can drive, someone screwed up the ones I have in there now and you can get in but not in the drivers seat.

Found working jeeps
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 07-16-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BAILING MAKES AI WALK!!!

Yeah I made an AI soldier walk where I wanted him to to test the respawn point triggers. They work just like they need to which is still amazing cause setting them up that way in the past would not work at all.

Found the M60 tank for the US side. The Germans are getting T55 and T72 along with others. I put one regular Sherman on there but I don't think it will be able to do much to the more modern tanks so the others are fireflys.

Now comes the copy and paste thing to make the 5 modern loadouts for both sides to go with the 5 WWII loadouts.

I should not have quit doing this editing stuff. I love doing it even if no one ever plays the damn things. Its like a puzzle, a type of puzzle I like cause I never liked regular puzzles. Now that the AI are easier to control I can test almost everything.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they are easier to control but but the AI still just won't let you kill them with impunity. Once they see the first AI driven truck blow up cause it hit mines I planted, the next truck driver tries to avoid them even though I turned off mine detection. I wanted to make MAYHEM LAND. They will not cooperate.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    12-13-2019
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bailing_Out View Post
    Also Melvin, the way I make the scenarios, you only have access to the stuff I let you have access to. No need to restrict something on the server. I have some modern stuff but no super tanks or jets. Will use prop planes only and choppers.
    It seems like that should make life easier for the Admin.

I'm hoping to see word from an admin that can set this up for you guys. I think many who continue to view the forums, only come by every week or so. Also, at this time we have a problem with the SSL cert and most browsers put up warnings about access. Although, most (or all?) let you visit if you click past the warning.
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No script threw a fit till I told it to shut up, before that the browser did. Now its fine.

I turned off the thermal optics and night vision on the T72 and M60. Will have to go and turn them off on some of the other modern APC's. Thats what really changes things actually, they could have left the modern tanks in king of the hill if they just turned those off. You can disable the turret easy enough with an AT rocket, thats the first thing everyone aims at in game or at least its the first thing I go for, once it no longer can turn and is aimed at the ground then the second rocket can take out the tracks, then its a sitting duck.

Usually in the game the guys will abandon it after the turret no longer works if they are close to many enemy or they will get out if the tracks no longer work. Those aren't usually the guys who know what they are doing though.none of those tanks should be in a city where people are carrying AT rockets.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 07-18-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got Drunk AF, so probably no modern loadouts this weekend. I am going to open ARMA 3 but will likely being playing king of the hill drunk AF

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made a little thing to practice my horrible helicopter flying on, found a rifle in one of the helicopters default cargo loads that I usually don't see, going to have to remember to put it on one of the modern loadouts.

By the way if you get rid of freelook in the settings you can fly the choppers much easier with the mouse. I still crash half the time trying to land but thats better than 75% of the time.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With WWII loadouts, the rifles with scopes have the entire thing in one line so you don't have to add the scope somewhere in the loadout script in description.ext but the modern weapons, any added sight has to be added somehow and I actually figured out where. Its in the linked items area of the loadout.

Now I have to figure out how to get the modern AT loadout to hold enough rockets cause right now he's kinda limited. It adds one to the barrel of the launcher but his backpack will not hold 2 others like its supposed to. Some of the backpacks have problems, he may get a WWII backpack. Fixed it, you add one of the rockets to items, that puts one in the barrel and 2 in the backpack. Maybe it shouldn't but it does cause I've never seen anyone add a rocket to the items section before.

I keep seeing people on forums from like 3 to 5 years ago trying to figure out to make custom loadouts, too late for me to tell them how, they probably quit playing by now. I borrowed from three different people or mores stuff and made my way. None of them were doing it exactly like I was/am but they had all these parts to make their usually single player missions and I got it all and put it together from that. Some days my mind works good, some days its a damn mess.

https://ufile.io/wec9uq0b

https://ufile.io/r5yia8cs

Ok those two files will make a loadout you can select in the spawn screen. With the names and details of whats in it in that selection screen. Its WWII not the mixed one I'm working on right now cause I know that one works. First one is init.sqf and the second is description.ext. It has a markers side thing in it that will throw a small error cause you don't have that file which was only for one thing on that map.

There's a 5 second wait to download.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 07-27-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In modern if you put the weapons of one side on the other it seems you cannot set the loadout for that weapon.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I figured out that if you want a custom loadout in modern you cannot use any of the specialty backpacks. You just have to use the carryall backpack which you can put anything in. Use specialty and it will have its loadout from the main game.

Edit: Basically thats what I now have to do with everything now if I make any changes. Give the bazooka guy a generic backpack or somehow he ends up with rocket rounds that will not go in his bazooka even though they are named as if they would go in there. The rocket bag just isn't useful since the wrong rounds are somehow in it no matter what.

You can have WWII tanks but they will not last long against any modern weapon or tank. The modern AT is just too good and the M60 or T72 just explodes them in one shot. Maybe the Tiger and if I can find a tougher allied tank.
    Last edited by Bailing_Out; 07-27-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The loadouts and test scenario will get finished this week now that I have figured out the stuff that has been changed. Even though its just a test, it should be at least semi fun to play. The stuff that has changed is the backpacks (and some vests), I used to be able to use the backpacks like the rocket bag and put in it what I wanted to, now that is a problem. I could put 2 or 3 rounds in it, of the type of rocket I wanted to and it would do it. Certain backpacks are "special" now. That means many of my loadouts will not work like I wanted them to. Fine, generic works wonderfully.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insomnia stopped me this week from doing anything useful on this at all. I was awake but that didn't cut it.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found some "new" stuff, to do what I do much better. They edited the wiki's about loadouts and respawns(last year) but I hadn't been to them in awhile because they were pretty bare bones the last time I looked and I didn't think they were going to do anything to them since most of the stuff that was on there in 2017 was stuff from 2013 or 14. Found a thread about how to make the description ext much smaller, its not good to have it as big as I had it I read. You put most of it in another file (loadout.cpp) and refer to it in the description ext.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new way I found to export loadouts from the game works, I thought it didn't but I think I cut out a semi colon when pasting it in the first time over another loadout. It exports it in the right format so all you need to do is make sure the semi colons and the {} are in the right place and that it has enough of them or not too many. You end up with generic rifleman if its wrong. Ctrl shift C and it comes out in the sqf format which also works in cpp.

Think I can make squads work maybe.

Its almost time to cook some country style ribs so good days sirs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and mams if we have any.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I decided to load the Vietnam mod up in this stuff I am doing. I got some new old tanks, more AK47's, more M16's and some other cool shet. I hate top posting HLL so I will post over there after this, from what I seen its going to be great.

Some rally good Vietnamese stuff is in there, I know much of its Russian but they put the camo on it. Going to try to put some Vietcong guys with the limbs and stuff on their backs reaching up over their heads. They will be on the German side. US will get ARVN guys with of course WWIII US and Brit dudes. I hope I do all of that like I want.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had never tried the performance stuff for ARMA in the past but since I will be setting up the new PC maybe this weekend I thought I would try them on the old one first. Actually I didn't know about that page and some of the stuff I had read and once or twice used seemed kinda sketchy.

This page https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1731305438

I did some of the stuff on there, process lasso, the arma 3 cfg file edits, the fov setting but I may not like 90 degrees, got the performance memory allocator setup for auto download/install and the standby list cleaner.

It seemed much better to me, also while playing the temp shown on the front panel did not go as high. I'm guessing of the two programs the standby list cleaner probably helped the most, freeing up ram when needed so the page file isn't used as much. Hell I don't know, maybe it was the above normal setting for the games exe that helped the most.