Yesterday
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Wir3tap's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World At War moving Forward!

Ok, so I wanted to sit and write this out to everyone, as the community is all about us. So I wanted to let everyone know some changes of plans and what's going to happen.

When we went into Post Scriptum we thought we had an amazing opportunity to jump start the WaW Community, and it looked very promising, there was even talking of upgrading forums and all looked amazing. However, before the campaign even took off, it shut down at the same time so we took this decision lightly.

We will not be hosting any more tournaments based off WaW from here on. We will be using the forum money paid to sustain the server till May of 2019, and from there a much cheaper box will be purchased for Forums and TS only, as well as to host the small footprint the FH2 team still needs. This has been a big thought of mine over the past few months especially with the amount of donations for a new forum that came in. However my views are, there is no point in a new forums or new ways of doing things, if the community is not sustainable anymore. I will promise this, that from May of next year on, WaW Forums, and TS will continue, unless of course there is absolute NO using it whatsoever. But even the topics from time to time about reunions are always fun to read.

I apologise to our community for this as just as we all did, we hoped for another breath of fresh air and it didn't happen. It's been an amazing time at WaW and as I said, our forums will remain active as well as our Teamspeak.

World at War
    US Field Officer
    Allies 31 Captain
    Last Online
    11-11-2018
    Country
    This is 3B|Ct KSolo's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: World At War moving Forward!

Man, I miss the good ol' days!

Hi all!!

Campaign History:

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    11-17-2018
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How you doing KSolo? Howdy!
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

World at War
    US Field Officer
    Allies 31 Captain
    Last Online
    11-11-2018
    Country
    This is 3B|Ct KSolo's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm doing well, Melvin! I really do miss everyone - we had a ton of laughs and fun times. BFE-WaW was a big part of my life; a great place to hang out. I'm still in NYC and have been working a lot so time has been tight. I continue to work in advertising. But, life is good.

Hope all is well with you, Melvin. And, hope all is well with the guys and girls that have graced this tournament over the years!

Campaign History:

Registered User AxisOberleutnant
    Last Online
    11-11-2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a while since I've logged into this place but I had fun playing with you peeps way back when. Has it actually been 10 years O_O

World at War
    German Division Staff Officer
    Axis 32 Generalleutnant
    Last Online
    12-08-2018
    Country
    This is [WaW]ValHallas's Country Flag

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey WireTap, I think you are making the right decision, the time has come.

Registered User Axis 29 Scheutze
    Last Online
    11-29-2018
    Country
    This is ADRIFTER's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shame to hear. It was a good run. Put in terms of video game history WaW has been around since online multiplayer really became popular, and anything able to last that long is pretty noteworthy on that metric alone.

The few years I enjoyed here (2006 - 2009 & 2013) were some of best times I've ever had. When I was still in college and all that mattered in life was winning the battle on Saturday. A simpler time. So many good memories, and yet many more I wish I had written down because they are sadly lost to time by now; a happy blur of a distant memory just out of reach.

When things were at their peaks it was truly an electric atmosphere unlike anything I've experienced. As others have said before it was something so magical it's like trying to capture lightning in bottle to recreate it. Not much else to say really. Bittersweet to see it come to an end officially, but at least the forums are still going to stay around to keep the memories alive.

Last Online
    11-12-2018
    Country
    This is KGW-Panzerlang's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such a shame post scriptum turned out to be such arcade garbage.

Last Online
    11-12-2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also miss the good old days.

I think with time, games becoming more "casual" and people moving on and having less time for dedicated/organized gameplay has contributed to this.

World at War
    Tournament Admin

Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn’t the easiest of decisions believe me, however by knowing we are going to keep forum up and TS it was much easier to put forward. I don’t want to beat a dead horse over and over lol.

If anyone knows of tournaments that are starting etc you guys are all free to advertise here! Would still be cool to intermingle with our WaW brothers and sisters in other areas.

World at War
    German Company Officer
    Axis 32 Hauptmann
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is 2WD~~~|Lardagus's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shame, but it needed to be done.
    The memories we had, the friends we made, the sorrow and joy we partook in... we shall never forget.
    Long live WaW! Thanks for the ride, but I'll be sure to stick around to see who comes out of the woodwork.

WaW Campaign History: 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, FH2T (26), 27, 28, 29, 30

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    11-17-2018
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, good to see people peaking in. . sniff

KSolo, I evacuated from California and fell into Texas. Here, it's not in semi-arid and desert like before. Here, it's all hot, wet, cold, windy, and all other sorts of strange stuff they call weather. Not much of that in southern California. I already miss the earthquakes.
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

World at War
    German Company Officer
    Axis 32 Leutnant
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is 2WD~|Ayrton's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically, the seven stages of grief are described as:

- Shock or Disbelief - (This is B.S. - the tournaments were far too good to just give up on.)
    - Denial - (Nah, people are just looking for something better.)
    - Anger - (WTF! Why didn't the British show up?)
    - Bargaining - (idk what happened. I can...idk)
    - Guilt - (what didn't I do?)
    - Depression - (gawd, this is horrible. where's my Evan Williams?)
    - Acceptance and Hope - (Nope on acceptance. Back to stage 2 for the hope thing.)

I figure that the strong registration numbers really meant something. It's not like only 12 people signed on to try our PS tournament. I felt some excitement there.

I also figure that Post Scriptum was too complex, too unrefined, too arcane with too many "uncomfortable parameters" to be truly enjoyable to most players. PS had long LOS radii, complicated weapon accessibility, unfinished terrain, unfinished tank mechanics, no playable flyable airplanes, no on map player controlled big artillery and no mod tools.

IMO, the PS game developers were too rigid in their approach and too unbending on their idea of what the game should be. Plus they couldn't work improvements in fast enough and released too early.

PS has suffered because of all those things. They therefore suffered a drop in player numbers on servers.

IMO, that doesn't mean tournaments have to die.

Hell Let Loose developers stated recently:

We know that Early Access games have a terrible reputation - not only for being unfinished - but often never finished. If you backed our Kickstarter, you?ll know that we have been determined not to fall into that category and - if able - deliver something approaching a final product to as big an audience as possible. For us, that means being as close to feature-complete as we can - but without forgetting optimization, bug fixing and quality of life improvements. We know that a game must not only be fun - but playable too.

I believe that HLL took that approach because of the problems PS encountered. They watched PS and learned a thing or two, I think.

Bfe-waw should wait at least until Hell Let Loose has released before letting go of the idea that a tournament format can work. Let's see what HLL comes up with.

I think it also possible that a finished PS with revised mechanics, different game modes and mod tools might be more attractive.

Please keep an open mind for a viable opportunity.

World at War
    Tournament Admin

Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of running another tournament what we could look into doing is start a clan of WaW to participate against other groups. Or even a campaign against another tournament. However we won’t be hosting. You have to understand Ayrton we have had a few (not just one) unsuccessful tournaments. I would rather just say ending the tournament side, we have the community, forums and TS if need. We don’t need a massive overhaul of those for a community based battles against others.

World at War
    1st Airborne Division
    Allies 32 Private
    Last Online
    12-09-2018
    Country
    This is Sionnach's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this is a shame but it's inevitable I suppose. I myself haven't had much time to play, and when I played something, it wasn't PS.

I guess we were trying to recreate the golden days as Adrifter said, it sadly didn't work.

Thanks for trying at least.

#4: [C14]D|SSgt.Sionnach #5: [A]P|Sgt.Sionnach #6: [22RN]P|SSgt.Sionnach
    #7: [26M]W|2Lt.Sionnach #8: [30AI]Q|Cpt.Sionnach #9: [34GD]SR|SLt.Sionnach

#10: Gw[Gj37]^^|Sionnach
    #11: [42Wx]P|LCpl.Sionnach Cl: [AEF]B|Cpl.Sionnach
    #12: [44M]LtGen.Sionnach #13: Marszałek Sionnach (CinC)
    #14: [47Sgb]T!|JWo.Sionnach
    #15+ Retired
    #32: 1ABb|Pvt. Sionnach

Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought PS would work. Then I looked out at what few places did this and really no one aside from FHT even does any new games as a tournament and they just do ARMA3 and it is now getting older. They may still be doing FH1 tournaments, I don't know I haven't been over there much since I was unbanned from here. Still I thought it might, the game looked really good but when I watched the videos of it I knew it would never be for me. Hoping for more from HLL but who knows.

The game servers, still gonna have those up? Just wondering.

I'm still messing with ARMA3 WWII scenarios mostly for my own damn enjoyment and learning. I also had high hopes for ARMA3 WWII but that hasn't worked out either.

Seeing all the member names below that have seen this thread, brings back memories of the good times in battles.

Any game that might work would basically have to be like FH2 but with a more flexibility. Like ARMA3 in a way where you can grab stuff and things like that. Jesus it would have to have flyable planes, I don't know what they were thinking not putting those in PS, until I read this thread I didn't know it didn't have any.

You can run a tournament with a smaller footprint. Free forums, (I had one, you can password the different parts) one server for a game and one for TS or discord will do it. Its nice having this one we've had, damn nice but just cause its being made smaller doesn't mean it can't ever be done.

I know it won't now though cause people will leave and never come back. It was a damn good time folks but I guess just like your childhood it had to end. Thats your childhood, my childhood continues at 54, **** GROWING UP!

Gonna miss the ones I never see again, love ya.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

Last Online
    11-22-2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1ABb|Pvt. Sionnach View Post
    Well this is a shame but it's inevitable I suppose. I myself haven't had much time to play, and when I played something, it wasn't PS.

I guess we were trying to recreate the golden days as Adrifter said, it sadly didn't work.

Thanks for trying at least.
    Amen. Here's a raised glass to the good old days! <3 Sionnach

World at War
    1st Airborne Division
    Allies 32 Private
    Last Online
    12-09-2018
    Country
    This is Sionnach's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [Ret]Komisches View Post
    Amen. Here's a raised glass to the good old days! <3 Sionnach

#4: [C14]D|SSgt.Sionnach #5: [A]P|Sgt.Sionnach #6: [22RN]P|SSgt.Sionnach
    #7: [26M]W|2Lt.Sionnach #8: [30AI]Q|Cpt.Sionnach #9: [34GD]SR|SLt.Sionnach

#10: Gw[Gj37]^^|Sionnach
    #11: [42Wx]P|LCpl.Sionnach Cl: [AEF]B|Cpl.Sionnach
    #12: [44M]LtGen.Sionnach #13: Marszałek Sionnach (CinC)
    #14: [47Sgb]T!|JWo.Sionnach
    #15+ Retired
    #32: 1ABb|Pvt. Sionnach

World at War
    German Company Officer
    Axis 32 Hauptmann
    Last Online
    11-21-2018
    Country
    This is 2WD~~~|Janizki's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man...litterally one of the biggest things from my childhood ending right here. This tournament is one of the reasons i got through the way i did from my dad dying. Having something to do helped so much. I used to have no friends irl and you guys were saving me from that ****.

I want to say thank you all, this tournament is something i can never froget. Thanks for all the good times guys. Sad to see another good thing come to an end.

History:

Last Online
    11-20-2018
    Country
    This is Polishmafia's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you to all the admins, show runners and commanders over the years. <3 Much love.

I do enjoy PS since the US update, hopefully will recognize some of your names out there.
    -Polish

World at War
    German Company Officer
    Axis 32 Leutnant
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is 2WD~|Ayrton's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think it's more the platform than anything else that keeps people to be willing to gather up and play in an organized structure. People want to do this. It just has to be worth it.

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is Buzz Adams's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I can't say I didn't see it coming. People are gaming differently now days and honestly, we have all grown up.

I am 61 now and just had open heart surgery on July 24th, 2018. I had a triple bypass and I am doing well. I am just getting back to work full time after finishing my Cardiac Rehab for 3 1/2 months.

Very sad to see the tournaments go , but it is just not like it used to be. I wish we had an inexpensive server to just do BF1942. I still play that original game every now and then. I'm very glad to see the forums still up so I can give some of you headaches posting about fake stuff like Global Warming/Climate change.

I miss the old days. I LOVED the game, enjoyed the camaraderie, and the banter back and forth.

Hope all you guys are doing well.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan