Today
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

College Football Player Abuse

I don't know if any of you have read about this but the Maryland head football coach got fired/suspended (strength coach got fired) with pay for treating his players like crap.

I remember being in grade school and hearing about our schools high school football coach and how much he cursed his players. This other coach was knocking food out of the players hands, forcing them to eat candy bars in front of the other players while those players lifted weights, questioning their manhood, striking them.

I'm going to have to go with firing this SOB. Yeah Coach cursed us, A LOT, but he never did anything like what has been alleged against the Maryland coach. After awhile it got to where we laughed at our coach (not in front of him). I remember a game when I was in 9th grade, he calls me to the sideline during a timeout, I'm not the quarterback, I'm an offensive lineman but I was oldest an biggest.

"Listen you little son of a ***** were gonna run 26 dive and you better block that bastard you stupid ****er and you tell (the running backs name) that little ****er, the bastard better ****ing score, if you don't I'm going to kick both your asses over the Abernathy Building," (which was just beyond the field).

Me and the running back were the oldest an biggest. Our parents knew this stuff happened. He never struck us, never bad mouthed our parents or questioned our manhood. He did curse us like we were dogs though.

I run back to the huddle, timeout is over with but everyone in the huddle wants to know what he said since I was laughing my *** off on the way back. Ref lets timeout go on long cause he wants to know too and he's standing right there. I tell them, we all laugh (ref too) and then we ****ing score from 25 yards out on a running play.

I knocked that guy into the end zone, coach after the game accuses me of not blocking anyone since he couldn't see me anymore from the sideline. Right after we win I started to get into it with him, we said a few things to each other, but maybe the one time I shut up before I got to be 20 I shut up and just said "watch the film old man, watch the film".

He apologized to me while we watched the film in the locker room the next week.

If what has been said about the head coach and Maryland's strength coach is true, they shouldn't coach again for 5 years. Not coaching again forever is a bit much. 5 years is about right.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

Last Online
    Today
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: College Football Player Abuse

Of course no one died at my high school from football practice. You cannot be intimidated into not saying "**** you coach, I'm going to drink some water and get in the shade", some people can be led into putting up with that and Jordan McNair obviously could be led down that trail. May he Rest in Peace.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

World at War
    1st Airborne Division
    Allies 32 Corporal
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is 1AB | Cpl DrGlamm's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a coach of football has the expectation of winning games.

There are many different ways to go about this.

A football coach of young adults (or let's face it, children) has the added responsibility of nurturing their players. There is no place where abuse directed at your players should ever be accepted. I'm not talking about cussing etc. Meh on that. But physically assaulting, degrading them in front of peers, belittling them. Sickening. Any coach that does this hasn't matured themselves. Disgraceful.

Waw16 FJJ^^^; WaW17 K54|Sg; WaW18 MIB~~~; Waw 19 58F_1L

World at War
    1st Airborne Division
    Allies 32 Private
    Last Online
    09-02-2018
    Country
    This is 1AB|pvt.gmerpyleusmc's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bailing_Out View Post
    Of course no one died at my high school from football practice. You cannot be intimidated into not saying "**** you coach, I'm going to drink some water and get in the shade", some people can be led into putting up with that and Jordan McNair obviously could be led down that trail. May he Rest in Peace.
    Agreed. These are college players (university for our European friends). They're grown men. Anyone who's watched college football in the past 15 years knows that these players tower over the coaches. That said, these coaches hold their future careers in their hands. If a player gets out of line, the coach will bench them or worse - cut them from the team. That will kill any chance they have of playing in the NFL.

Not coaching for 5 years in the NCAA might as well be a life time ban. No one's gonna touch that guy with a 10 foot pole. He'll end up selling insurance or vacuum cleaners door to door.

Tking like FlyGuy since WaW #16 / In Tanks since WaW #17

Last Online
    Today
    Country
    This is EugenePaf's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These sports coaches often take their jobs too seriously and when you have someone like that who also has no business working with anyone, let alone children, it can be a recipe for disaster.
    Hi!