Country
    This is 2WD*|Lorden's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lowering amount of reserved slots on PS Public Servers

Hi,

I'd like to make the argument that we need less reserved slots on the public PS servers. I would recommend 2 reserved slots per server for now, and if we receive complaints that whitelisted people have a long wait time to join then at that point we can up it to 4 per server. 8 is way way overkill for the following reasons:

1. Scenario 1: Server is full, whitelisted player attempts to join. Becomes players 73/72. As soon as a public player leaves, the whitelisted person occupies a regular public slot automatically, freeing up the reserved slot again. In that way, reserved slots are almost always free.
    2. Many player (myself included) list available servers by population. By having 8 reserved slots, we show a maximum of 72/72 players on the server (except in very rare circumstances). This means that popular servers with less reserved slots show up higher in the list, having 74/74, 76/76 or 78/78 active players.
    3. As far as I know, we don't have any CPU/RAM limitations stopping us from having more active players on the server.
    4. Servers with more slots are more popular than servers with less. People want to play in big matches. In an ideal world we could have 80/80 public players, but I see the need to give priority to WaW members to join in. That's why 2 reserved slots are necessary.

Conclusion: Until whitelisted members complain they have 5+ minute waiting times to join the server, we would be better served by having the minimal amount of reserved slots necessary.
    Mz!@&*[J35]^|Lorden
    Gw[Gj37]^^^|Lorden
    FpA/ Nerion
    BsF~ Lorden
    I'm so sexy it burns when I pee...

World at War
    British Company Officer
    Allies 32 Captain
    Last Online
    03-13-2019
    Country
    This is riskmanagement's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lowering amount of reserved slots on PS Public Servers

+1
    No need for more than 2 right now even then not really 2, it dont hurt anyone sitting in the waiting line for a couple of min.

Engineers lead the way..... ALL THE WAY
    Combat engineers will fight for a town, rebuild the town, build the road to the town, build a bridge over the river outside town, fortify and defend it all and then blow all of it up when we are done with it!

World at War
    German Division Staff Officer
    Axis 32 Major
    Last Online
    11-14-2018
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking now, out of 27 populated servers, only 3 have 72 slots or less: 2 have 72 slots, and one has 70 slots. The vast majority of popular servers have 78-80 public slots. There is a clear bias towards bigger servers. It might be easier for us to populate (and keep populated) our own servers if we adjusted our slots accordingly.
    Mz!@&*[J35]^|Lorden
    Gw[Gj37]^^^|Lorden
    FpA/ Nerion
    BsF~ Lorden

World at War
    British Company Officer
    Allies 32 Captain
    Last Online
    03-13-2019
    Country
    This is riskmanagement's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We dont need that many reserved slots we dont even have that many WaW members playing at the same time....... Hint hint go on the server

Engineers lead the way..... ALL THE WAY
    Combat engineers will fight for a town, rebuild the town, build the road to the town, build a bridge over the river outside town, fortify and defend it all and then blow all of it up when we are done with it!

World at War
    German Division Staff Officer
    Axis 32 Major
    Last Online
    11-14-2018
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoke with the owner of the 2FJg who uses an interesting system:

- They don't have any reserve slots.
    - Their members still have the 'reserve' permission in the admin stuff
    - Having the 'reserve' permission jumps you to the head of any waiting queue

So we could still have an 80-slot server even with a large waiting list with our members waiting minimal amounts of time to join due to queue priority.
    Mz!@&*[J35]^|Lorden
    Gw[Gj37]^^^|Lorden
    FpA/ Nerion
    BsF~ Lorden