Today
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NCAA Basketball and Baseball

I will of course talk nothing but Arkansas Razorbacks as far as sports go most of the time but maybe some others will take part (to talk about their crappy teams LOL) and I hope non members will join and join in. I think it would be a good thing for non members to see that we just don't talk game stuff even though I know many don't do forum text stuff as much as I and some others do.

Hogs beat Ole Miss tonight in the SEC basketball tournament even though they seemed rusty after a week off. They win when Manny Watkins and Moses Kingsley are involved in the game as the have been recently, Manny will not be playing in the NBA, Moses likely will. Tonight they threw the ball into Moses down low and even though he missed most of the shots it got him into the game, later it paid off with 3 blocked shots in the last 6 minutes. Manny, I don't know how to get him into the game but when you hear Chuck call 2 or 3 Manny plays, he knocks a ball off a guys leg out of bounds, his little *** takes it to the rim and scores on a breakaway, he gets a pass from Moses and hits a lay up, they win. They really don't need a win to get into the the big dance but it would help with seeding because Vanderbilt bet Florida 3 times this year, so beating them would be a damn good win.

Mike Anderson was under some pressure to win this year and make the tournament, he shouldn't have been under any. The fans, after the parting of Nolan Richardson wanted Mike (Nolan's chief assistant) if they couldn't have Nolan, we had to wait awhile for Mike to be able to come back. If anyone wants to know that story from inside the state you can ask in a reply.

Baseball. Hogs beat Rhode Island twice today. RH has to play down south because of the weather up there but they are a decent team. Hogs beat Bryant earlier, another Rhode Island team but Bryant beat them in an NCAA regional a few years ago and our coach is always looking for better northern teams to play early in the year. Hogs found a couple of young pitchers recently because they had to. Lost 2 pitchers to injury right at the start of the year but we got our second catcher back from a hand injury.
    Last edited by [WaW]CA|Melvin; 03-11-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Keeping it about NCAA Basketball and Baseball, or thereabouts
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    04-15-2021
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: NCAA Basketball and Baseball

The Mess Hall is for off-topic and is not rigorously, (as in obsessive compulsive), monitored since it is only registered members that can read it. With it here, I have to make sure you people stay on topic and don't get too lewd or insulting. More work for me and I'm a lazy summabit ... doh!

Since you immediately went off-topic, I've liberally (not Liberally) edited your post. HAHAHA.
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [WaW]CA|Melvin View Post
    The Mess Hall is for off-topic and is not rigorously, (as in obsessive compulsive), monitored since it is only registered members that can read it. With it here, I have to make sure you people stay on topic and don't get too lewd or insulting. More work for me and I'm a lazy summabit ... doh!

Since you immediately went off-topic, I've liberally (not Liberally) edited your post. HAHAHA.
    Ok Ok I get it but it is only you who get lewd and insulting, not me

Hogs beat Vandy, they are a different team than the one who lost to Kentucky earlier. If Kentucky figures you out though it doesn't matter how different you are.

I did not know Oregon was as good as they are, 29-4. They better hope I don't pick them in my bracket I know we have one Oregon fan here. Duke finally figured out the Irish and beat them.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is up with Lunardi saying Syracuse is in, 18-14, 7th in their conference. Yeah I know the ACC is tough but still. They just want to stick them in there because Jim Boeheim is getting old and might retire soon?

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figure its gonna be some school named North Dakota State University of Ohio at Chicago or some name like that that causes my bracket to go completely to hell. NDSUOC would be quite an acronym for CBS to have to fit in the little scoreboard.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hogs have a decent record against the Tar Heels in any type game so maybe we might win. 3-3 in the shot clock era.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw it all the Hogs are gonna win

My Bracket is blown because thats the way it is.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaannnnnndd it didn't work out that way. Hogs got tired and hurt, 3 guards (Macon, Beard, Barford) went out for several minutes at a time and Anderson couldn't get and keep the right combination in the game. Then the Tar Heels clamped down on defense at the end.

Baseball the Hogs swept 3 from Mississippi St. They aren't giving up walks, like they did last year and they are only striking out against the best pitchers nd even then they won Friday night. Coach has went more for a power game this year, more homer than I remember in a long time.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing is more intense than Hogs v LSU in college baseball. Tonight the Hogs won after being swept last year in a 3 game series where they should have won 2 of the 3 and they led 9-1 in the 7th last year in one of the games. Tonight, same score in the 7th but this team doesn't have the same holes in it that team did and that team, as much as I love them, had many holes in it.

The intensity part. LSU is not as good as the Hogs this year in many respects, but Mainieri is a great coach and the pitcher tonight they had will be in the pros soon enough. Tonight the Hogs wore him out, though he didn't give up many runs. He just threw too many pitches to get the outs he got. Mainieri was yelling about something, though I am not sure what, he kept going up the tunnel to do it and the Hogs hitting coach kept yelling about something but he yelled into his own dugout while he did it. Tony Vitello, Hogs hitting coach was kept after last year, the pitching coach Dave Jorn was let go. Pitchers stopped listening to him but I'm sure Tony was told if they keep swinging at balls you're next. I think Tony, who is also the 3rd base coach, and and the LSU coach were yelling at each other but hid it.

I remember a game back in da day when the Hogs first joined the SEC when both Daves got thrown out, Van Horn and Jorn, Vitello tried to get thrown out but the umpires were onto the protest by then and Tony yelled for 5 minutes but finally figured out they were not going to throw him out. We don't have those crappy umpires anymore but it was kinda fun when we did.

According to what I've read Jorn has stayed in Fayetteville.
    I credit coach Broyles and Dave Van Horn for doing it because the proof is in the pudding.?
    Jorn said he intends to remain in Fayetteville
    he played here, he is a legend here, just like Norm DeBriyn who he played and coached for, I don't want any anyone to die but we all do and I hope he dies here.

?I appreciate everything that coach Jorn has done for this program since I got here 14 years ago,? head coach Dave Van Horn said. ?He has turned this program into a top-25 program. and has put together some of the best pitching staffs in the country. There?s not a better pitching coach than Dave Jorn and he?s an even better person. He?s been a great friend to me and the rest of the coaching staff and always will be a man of great character.?

DeBriyn also spoke highly of Jorn and the impact he obviously had on Van Horn even when Van Horn was on staff as a graduate assistant.

?I lucked out in getting him as a young man because he was coming out of pro ball (as a pitcher) and we didn?t have much of a budget,? DeBriyn said. ?After a couple of years I realized we had something special there. Look at the track record. We go to Omaha in ?85, ?87 and ?89 (Jorn coached the 1989 staff through 1988 fall ball before joining the Yankees) ?and after he left us we never went back. Our pitchers got better. Not just mechanically but every way. He is intuitive. I think the game slows down for him.?
    Now that Norm has retired, he never left afterwards, when they get him in the booth, he is a barrel of laughs. He is just as fired up as he was when he coached here.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah LSU not as good as usual Bailing, how did that turn out? We lost 2 of 3 dammit.

Tonight the Hogs beat Georgia 5-4 in 10 to take a 2-0 series lead. Georgia outplayed the Hogs until the 10th when Georgia committed 2 errors to lose it. Pitcher fields the bunt that was supposed to move Lee to 2nd, he looks at second which the 1rst baseman should have not paid any attention to but he does and then he is not on 1rst to cover the pitchers throw to 1rst, so it sails into right field. Play is still going with men now on 2nd and 3rd when the right fielder grabs the errant throw and for some reason goes home with it even though Lee is going to stay on third, he airmails everyone with his throw, his arm did impress the play by play guys since he was 220 feet out when he did that. Lee scores and is dog piled by his team mates. Mostly because he worked a walk after being down 0-2. Lee also pitches but not tonight.

After the game I can hear the song in background and I catch it just as it says "The mourners are all singing as they drag you by your feet, but the hangman isn't hanging so they put you on the street." The Hogs were dead/hung, they blew a lead they didn't deserve to have in the 9th and then get a run they didn't deserve in the 10th to win it. But dats baseball, sometimes you win when you shouldn't and sometimes you lose when you shouldn't.

Hogs were playing ok tonight, not good but ok until it was announced that Auburn lost, which if they win puts them in first place. Then they start to make errors. They got away with it. Pressure.

The guy who does the music there is probably half my age or less, I wonder if he played that on purpose. Did he know the song almost as well as me and other old farts do.

Last Online
    Today
    Country

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BRINGING THIS THREAD BACK!

First, they may have scored too many runs in the midweek game and had few hits left for the week LOL. I know thats stupid but it felt that way all weekend.

After the Hogs 7th comeback after trailing after 6 innings this year, today it was 5 runs. The best hitter didn't hit too well but the others finally made up for it and then the best player Christian Franklin comes through in the 10 with a double to score the winning run from 2nd.

Auburn played better than they had all year against the Hogs but still lost 2 out of 3.

The Hogs hit better against better pitching, I swear its that way. Auburn throws a lot of balls but didn't allow many runs. Thing is they eventually threw too many balls and the hogs got on base. last night they scored a run on 2 walks, a hit batsman and two wild pitches to win. Last week, Miss St. had 3 pitchers no one had scored on and we scored on all 3, they threw in the strike zone or close. Dave has drilled it in their heads not to swing at balls out of the zone like they used to 3 or 4 years ago. Their are certain balls out the strike zone they will take a whack at but those are hittable.

Ole Miss next weekend for the lead.

TIME TO COOK SOME CELEBRATORY STEAKS FOR ME, MY DAUGHTER AND SON IN LAW.