Country
    This is 3B|Sg Versus's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Versus's plan of recruiting new players

Hello fellow WaW members.
    As you can see in the title, this thread is going to go about recruiting new players into the [WaW] community.
    I've already spoken in short to melvin about it, but I think if we stick our heads together we can work this even further out.

As we al know, FH2 is dying or not actively enough for us to get new people into our tournament. (or with wonders)
    So I was thinking, why not recruit new people directly from BF2 vanilla?! It has a bigger player base then FH2 and has the potential to use our "130" code.

So yesterday I played some vanilla, my first thoughts were, Ok I need to set my nametags to WaW (altough nobody knows it/no server etc...)

As everybody knows me, I do alot of screenshots!

So that was that.
    After I logged in, the first thing I saw. There is 1 64+ server!

But look carefully, there are only 4 people playing on it!
    So... What does this mean?! Its simple, its a "fake" 64+ server.

After getting this information and giving this some thought I came to this conclusion.
    Some friends of mine played BF2, but they started playing FH2/PR because I told them. Half of the guys that still play vanilla probably don't even know that mods exist.
    So, that is why I came up with the idea of recruiting straight from vanilla BF2.

The plan.
    Since the PR server isn't used or is almost empty I think it should be nice to use this server for this "project".
    We start our own vanilla 64+ BF2 server, with the most popular maps (we could make a poll or something, but starting with strike at karkand and Wake island 2007 would be a nice start)
    We do the same as in our FH2 server, do alot of advertising, use teamplay etc... And so we might bring some new potential players to the website/tournament.
    Everybody of waw should wear the [WaW] tags when playing vanilla so that they know who is an admin (And no abusing, cause I've seen this alot on other servers) on the server and is a member of our community.

If this is going to pull through, I would love to make a promotional video for this. And I would organize a weekly pubby BF2 vanilla day.

What do you think about this?

Registered User Allies 30 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is 94P|Pf peppervieze's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Versus's plan of recruiting new players

Versus, did you actually join that server? There are multiple 64+ BF2 servers, but the player list in BF2 cannot properly show that player count and fails to work correctly. So yes, the server is possibly legit.

Me, I have no desire to play vanilla, but good luck with your plan.

Damned if we do, no fun if we don't

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
    George Carlin

Registered User Allies 31 Sergeant
    Last Online
    04-27-2017
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have joined it and there was only 4 people on it.

Last Online
    05-29-2018
    Country
    This is The Plasman's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a much better idea would be to look for a feature article on Kotaku or Rock Paper Shotgun or some other gaming site like that.

Or even get some exposure on Reddit.

World at War
    German Company Officer
    Axis 32 Hauptmann
    Last Online
    07-11-2019
    Country
    This is 2WD~~~|Lardagus's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... I don't think major gaming news sites will run articles/placements for our little tournament, that runs on a game that came out years ago with a mod that's rarely updated...
    With a tournament that doesn't give out any actual prizes...

Meh, I know I'm pessimistic, but sometimes the truth is just there.

And for the love of god, don't do reddit. It's almost as bad as 4chan, and I go to 4chan a lot.
    (Yeah, not a good habit, but whatever.)

/rantofpessimisticideals

WaW Campaign History: 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, FH2T (26), 27, 28, 29, 30

Last Online
    05-29-2018
    Country
    This is The Plasman's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're not just news sites, they have general articles about all kinds of things, new and old. I'm sure "small, dedicated group playing a mod" ticks at least one box.

Same with Reddit. Reddit is only as "bad" as whichever particular subreddit you're in at the time is.

Registered User Allies 27 Warrant Officer 2
    Last Online
    05-13-2015
    Country
    This is 74C|W2 TassieDevil's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the above screenshots, I was actually more interested in all the servers other than the 64+ server. Why ? Look at how many servers have a bunch of people in them (some almost to capacity), and the size of the scroll button, that indicates there's a huge list of servers.

I think it would be fair to say that there's still some thousands of people playing BF2, but it's hard to gauge how many, how frequently, and how dedicated they are. And looking at the bigger picture, a few thousand players on an international level essentially means the game is in it's death throes.

Nonetheless, I'd be happy to see this community to grow, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd simply hope that the idea of waving our flag in any other BF2 servers, or recruiting by running our own, would have been implemented years ago already. Please tell me it was.

TassieDevil
    WaW #25 - Free French 70e Division Légère Mécanisée - 70R|Ma TassieDevil - Best New Player

WaW (FH2T) #26 - 72nd Maori Armoured Division - 72W|2L TassieDevil

WaW #27 - 74th Canadian Mounted Division - 74C|W2 TassieDevil

Registered User Allies 31 Sergeant
    Last Online
    04-27-2017
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think newssites are things we've already done. (I remember avrojet doing this)
    I also posted on some belgian gamingsites about the tourney and nobody cared...

So I stilll think our best option is to recruit directly from BF2 vanilla.

Last Online
    06-14-2018
    Country
    This is Koketsu's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the way i see it is thus... most folks get bored or sick of the vanilla bull crap game play.. they now play PR or FH2 or Arma etc etc

And Tassie, yes thousands do still play but they ain't the kind of cheerful chaps you would bring home to meet your mother, if you catch my drift.

I still enjoy BF2 and i can help out if needed, just let me know what i can do.. i do love slamming my face into a brick wall ;p
    NO SCOPE CORN SHOT

Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is 94P|Pf peppervieze's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPS doesnt do this anyway, only in some special cases, and then there has to be a bigger story behind this.

Damned if we do, no fun if we don't

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
    George Carlin