Country
    This is 74C|W2 TassieDevil's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation AdAware Reporting problems with the WaW site

Hi,

Just thought I should mention that after giving a link to a friend to try downloading a map from here, he reported that his AdAware software (I'm assuming he's using this free AV suite - last time I looked at AdAware, years ago, it was purely a malware scanner, not full AV) was blocking the link in my email, reporting that the domain http://bfewaw.com was a known site for malware.

This would certainly do a great job of keeping new prospective players away from the tournament.

I've also noticed one player who joined Recon in April had changed his forum name to ThiswebsitecontainMalware. I have not seen him play in any battle so far.

Forum admins might wanna look into the AdAware problem. If it's a false positive, it needs to be reported to AdAware. If it's a valid warning and there is some malware that's crawled in under the radar, that DEFINITELY needs to be fixed. Either way, left unattended, it's bloody bad news for the tournament.

My sincere apologies if the staff already knew of this issue.

Gary

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: AdAware Reporting problems with the WaW site

If I told you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? I am no longer infected.

The BF2 Spectator had been infected, but it was quickly fixed (AFAIK). There's also been a few instances where people's sigs were hosted on dodgy sites, but those are typically fixed within a day.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

Registered User Allies 27 Warrant Officer 2
    Last Online
    05-13-2015
    Country
    This is 74C|W2 TassieDevil's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea how often AdAware checks sites for malware or viruses, as I don't use the software.

Once the problem(s) are removed, does AdAware rescan your site periodically and automatically update it's AV definitions, or does the site owner need to be pro-active in getting his site cleared from their list of nasties ? I would guess the latter - in my experience, AV companies tend to be overzealous/overcautious at the best of times, and brag about the number of nasties they've detected, or the number of sites they've detected containing nasties. This is used as a marketing tool for their products.. ie.. it's not necessarily in their best interest to be in a rush to remove your site name from their lists.

Admins should probably check with AdAware to ensure that our domain name is removed from their definitions ASAP. And if it's not being done already, an advisory in our FAQ (or other suitable location) on the safest, most reliable places for sig hosting might be wise (again, apologies if this has already been done).

BTW.. just for reference, the file I linked to in my email was http://bfewaw.com/maps/WaW25/Battle_...attle12_v1.rar

Gary
    Last edited by 74C|W2 TassieDevil; 06-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.

World at War Gears
    Last Online
    09-29-2018
    Country
    This is Avrojet's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this information. Taking care of it.