Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Game Lag Problems

Quote Originally Posted by YkD/// Koketsu View Post
    W: Weserbunghole lag infested bollocks map, not playing cos of that map, same old song....
    I don't know your situation, but if the smaller Classic Stalingrad map worked without lag then it may be your card has too little video memory. I had bad lag with many custom maps in the last few campaigns. I tracked it down to my video card swapping with main PC memory. The swapping caused video frame lag. The card only had 256MB of effective (*) video memory. More video memory solved the problem. If you have 512MB or more video memory and still have the problem, then I expect video memory isn't the problem.

(*) BTW, I had 2x 256MB video cards hooked up in Crossfire mode. Apparently Crossfire has the effect of duplicating images between the 2 cards so the effective available on-card video memory is really just that of 1 card, 256MB. Maybe this was fixed with later cards or drivers; I don't know. I also don't know of SLI has the same issue.
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Registered User Allies 29 Private
    Last Online
    05-04-2017
    Country
    This is shin01176's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Best/Worst/Funniest Battle #8 May 19th 2012 Weserübung / Classic Stalingrad

Quote Originally Posted by [WaW]TA|Melvin View Post
    I don't know your situation, but if the smaller Classic Stalingrad map worked without lag then it may be your card has too little video memory. I had bad lag with many custom maps in the last few campaigns. I tracked it down to my video card swapping with main PC memory. The swapping caused video frame lag. The card only had 256MB of effective (*) video memory. More video memory solved the problem. If you have 512MB or more video memory and still have the problem, then I expect video memory isn't the problem.

(*) BTW, I had 2x 256MB video cards hooked up in Crossfire mode. Apparently Crossfire has the effect of duplicating images between the 2 cards so the effective available on-card video memory is really just that of 1 card, 256MB. Maybe this was fixed with later cards or drivers; I don't know. I also don't know of SLI has the same issue.
    I was getting bad stutter lag just flying low near the Island, Keif or what ever the last battle was called prior being in a city gave me the same stutter lag. I am running 2x7770 1Gb's.
    WaW #9: RA[33FM]///|Shinobi WaW #10: Jg52[39Fj]//|Shinobi WaW #11: Ki[ToL]|Shin - MIA -
    AT2 US Navy
    100% Against Stupid Rally Points

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Best/Worst/Funniest Battle #8 May 19th 2012 Weserübung / Classic Stalingrad

Quote Originally Posted by YkW/// Shin01176 View Post
    I was getting bad stutter lag just flying low near the Island, Keif or what ever the last battle was called prior being in a city gave me the same stutter lag. I am running 2x7770 1Gb's.
    Flying can have more lag than others. Except in high fog conditions, you have many more updates of information since you see much more. This stresses different parts of your system, not just the video card. It would be good if other pilots who flew in battle #7 (on WaW 25 Kefalonia) would comment on their experiences.

You mean the HD 7770 card, I guess. That's a good card, but on the lower part of the HD 7000 series. It's effective clocking is lower and it's memory interface width is half or less than the higher 7000 series models. And be aware that it is a PCI Express 3.0 card so some specs will relate to that faster interface over the PCI Express 1 and 2 standards. It will still work with the older standards, but will operate at their slower rates. However, I'm not sure if would be a problem. The 1 GB looks good; that's per card, I trust.

Since you are in Crossfire, I don't think video card processing is any part of the problem. If it doesn't happen with other pilots with good cards, then maybe it is the memory interface. I do know that some benchmarks actually show it's performance lower than my own card, the older one HD 6870. See this: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=536

Have you tried a lower resolution or lower level of textures? That would take stress off the memory interface. Thing is, if you have a flat panel display (and who doesn't these days), you want to run at it's native resolution for a cleaner picture. So if that is like 1920x1200, your best bet is to try reduced textures, I think.

I don't know enough about network stuff with BF2, but I wonder if all the updates for a pilot stresses your network communications path.
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)

Registered User Allies 29 Private
    Last Online
    05-04-2017
    Country
    This is shin01176's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Game Lag Problems

WaW #9: RA[33FM]///|Shinobi WaW #10: Jg52[39Fj]//|Shinobi WaW #11: Ki[ToL]|Shin - MIA -
    AT2 US Navy
    100% Against Stupid Rally Points

Last Online
    06-14-2018
    Country
    This is Koketsu's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh i should imagine it is my machine that is at fault rather than the map in question.

AMD Athalon XP 2500+ (1.8ghz equal to a 2.0ghz Intel so im told)

Geforce 6800gt 256mb

1gb ram

Im shocked and awed every time this heap of junk switches on but out of all the maps played Weserubung is the worst

Bombing the Reich is another.. not sure what the issue is with these maps, i have tested all kinds of video settings to compensate. All stock FH2 maps run like a dream.. WaW custom maps are sometimes a struggle but 95% of maps i have played thus far have been problem free with these few exceptions.

Anyhoo no bad intentions were meant towards the map designer, i was just venting my frustration
    NO SCOPE CORN SHOT

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    03-26-2020
    Country
    This is 0utlaw's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good amount of axis players during practice and battle stated that map lagged for them.

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FH2 devs have done a very good job of getting the max out of the BF2 engine with the min frame rate problems. The problem with custom maps is we don't know exactly what the tweaks FH2 has done are: For example, just including one static from another theater than what you're currently using means the game has to load tons more texture files. Having a combo of African, European, Winter & BF2 statics can in some cases quadruple the amount of textures needed in memory.

Then there's the amount of statics used: Having 20 of the same object is much easier on hardware than 1 of 20 different objects. Then there's view distance, which isn't the same as the fog distance you see on your screen. Then there's the view distance of over- & undergrowth. And ground texture quality. And ground texture view distance.

Add all these things together, and it's impossible for especially a relatively new mapper to know all this or to get the combo right. Usually mappers also have relatively powerful computers so the problem doesn't show itself. I've got 8 gigs of RAM, a 3.2 GHz tri-core CPU & an ATI HD5750, and I usually try to get my maps to play at 60-100 fps on my rig, as I still remember what it's like to have a low-end computer. (Granted I failed to do so on Kefalonia, but I was too fixated on making it the prettiest map I've done so far)

EDIT: And as Shin's example shows: No matter how much money you throw at your machine, sometimes that particular component combo isn't compatible with a certain map. I had 0 lag on Weser, even while flying. And my rig is worth about 400€.
    Last edited by Paasky; 05-22-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    03-26-2020
    Country
    This is 0utlaw's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u all would have a good laugh if i posted my pc specs.. im quite sure im one of, if not the worst pcs in the tourny. however, i was on the hatsuzuki all day and didnt lag there.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Geforce 6800gt 256mb

1gb ram

Yes, that is an old system. Those two things above could be causing most of the most trouble, I think.

When I had 256MB of video memory, I found only a couple of FH2 maps caused me problems: Operation Totalize and urh.. I forget the other one. Before I upgraded my system, I eliminated the problem completely, for free! I drove tanks in the WaW tournament. They have a limited view and it made a difference; no frame lag like when I was infantry in frantic close quarters fights.

It's a little weird, too. Up until a few campaigns ago, it was rare any WaW map would give me frame lag. I don't know what changed. Paasky seems to give the best answer I've seen for the FH2 side of it. At least he sounds like he knows what he's talking, but then I don't have a clue to the mapper stuff.

Last Online
    06-14-2018
    Country
    This is Koketsu's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kefalonia didn't lag much at all for me last battle but it did during the scrims.. strange.. as you said, many reasons can cause it and no set rule to eliminate it.

Ah well, as i cant afford a new computer right now i shall cross my fingers and hope the remaining maps are good for me.. thanks chaps
    NO SCOPE CORN SHOT

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kefalonia didn't lag much at all for me last battle but it did during the scrims.. strange.. as you said, many reasons can cause it and no set rule to eliminate it.

Ah well, as i cant afford a new computer right now i shall cross my fingers and hope the remaining maps are good for me.. thanks chaps
    Doubling your RAM to 2GB would help out massively: FH2 requires almost 1GB when I run it. And 1GB of memory, especially used, costs like £5-20. It'll make everything you do on your computer quicker, so I really suggest doing that. Installing RAM is really easy too: Push it in the slot until it clicks into place, and you're done.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

Registered User Allies 30 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is 94P|Pf peppervieze's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lag is mostly caused by lack of optimization on the maps and maybe in the minimod, I havent looked much at the latter but a easy test would be removing the content that is in the minimod and see the effects on the map.

Damned if we do, no fun if we don't

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
    George Carlin

Registered User Allies 31 Private
    Last Online
    05-21-2017
    Country
    This is Oddball's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No lags in any map at all. Ever. Only serverside lags sometimes, but then all in my TS channel have complaint on it.
    Having 16 gb RAM
    3GB GTX 580...

World at War
    British Company Officer
    Allies 32 Captain
    Last Online
    03-02-2019
    Country
    This is Hiltz's Country Flag

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cave was also having a lag problem and it turned out to be her CPU getting too warm. She simply cleaned the cooling fins which were choked with fluff and "viola" her lag was cured.

Registered User Scapegoat
    Last Online
    09-11-2020
    Country
    This is AB*Rct KullaN's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you who are using a Crossfire setup (either an x2 card or two (or more) ATI/AMD cards linked together):
    You should update to catalyst v 12.3 or newer, and then create a new application profile for ForgottenHope2.exe, otherwise you will only use on of the cards effectively. The crossfiremode I've found to work best is AFR-friendly which makes the cards render every other frame, the other modes seem to have no effect on perfomance. If you do it correctly you should see a ~50-90% increase in fps.
    (The setting is available in ->catalyst control center ->gaming -> 3d application settings, then the bottom option. After that you go back to the top, click new application, find ForgottenHope2.exe (in your BF2 main folder) then save.)
    Too old stuff in this place, all my hostings have been removed

Registered User Allies 30 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is 94P|Pf peppervieze's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also note that the previously existing BF2 profiles for crossfire got scraped by ATI, I couldnt find any new ones in the extra profiles download(option in the catalyst control center).

Damned if we do, no fun if we don't

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
    George Carlin

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow. Interesting information on Crossfire tweaking. Thanks.

Sadly, for those with older cards, the supported mostly stopped at Catalyst 10.2 (Legacy Display Driver). Like my old x1950 card; good feature performance for BF2, but too low in video memory. If you are in that situation, time to get a new card if you can afford it... or try some of the FH2 Video adjustments mentioned.