03-08-2012
    Country
    This is YkD Frodo[XXII]'s Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimap Overlays

I'm going to bring it up now so there's more than a month to argue discuss it.

Anyone that doesn't know what an Overlay is...

Basically both armies have the option to "photoshop" the minimap to put colored grids over it for easier calling out

The Basics:

- Minimaps are client side so either side could have different ones or none at all

- Each side would be responsible for making their own if they so chose.

- Each side would be responsible for distributing their overlay

- Players would be responsible for downloading and extracting the minimap (It's the same thing as extracting the battle map)

And if someone has an old overlay laying around please post it. i can't seem to find any of mine

Castle Vaqueros---------------------Black Morass---------------------Caumont
    22 MyIS/MFOTS Sponsored Campaigns and Counting

Registered User Allies 25 Soldat 1ere
    Last Online
    06-02-2013
    Country
    This is 70D|Bg Spfft-Ebil's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this was discussed already back in.... #15?

And i think people came to the conclusion that PB dislikes minimap overlays and thinks they are h4x. Which resulted to us not using them in Fh2.

Yeah, i was supposed to make a cool sig but i got lazy. So here's a picture of a dog.
    WaW14 - Rc[48AD]Cp. \ WaW15 - Ra|/// \ WaW16 - FJS|/// \ WaW17 - PKJ|// \ WaW18 - MIT|/// \ WaW19 - 58H Sg. \ WaW20 - S|60Pf.

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    08-15-2016
    Country
    This is Thawk's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that was the reason Spfft, I think with the BF2 engine, both sides had to have the exact same overlay and when it was proposed one side didn't want to do it so we didn't do it.

Basically, I am not sure if both sides can have different overlays, but with Pepper on the team well we might be able to do something. seeing as he is some coding-god.

Registered User Allies 25 Soldat 1ere
    Last Online
    06-02-2013
    Country
    This is 70D|Bg Spfft-Ebil's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah that was it indeed. I just remembered that it was Bf2 being stupid but didn't remember the details.

Yeah, i was supposed to make a cool sig but i got lazy. So here's a picture of a dog.
    WaW14 - Rc[48AD]Cp. \ WaW15 - Ra|/// \ WaW16 - FJS|/// \ WaW17 - PKJ|// \ WaW18 - MIT|/// \ WaW19 - 58H Sg. \ WaW20 - S|60Pf.

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't include the minimap in the client.zip, but in it's correct folder. Then both sides can edit it as they wish without touching the client.zip file.

The client.zip file is about 95% of the filesize of the map, and BF2 can't handle hotfixes. That was the reason.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ka* Paasky View Post

The client.zip file is about 95% of the filesize of the map, and BF2 can't handle hotfixes. That was the reason.
    But it can, we've proven that you can modify most anything in the server.zip and run just fine, from the tmp.con to the gameplayer objects we modified them all this campaign server side and it's worked. We had a good 2/3rds of the server on Woodrun for example running without the hotfix because it never got posted up in the last few rounds.

The gameplay objects, the tmp.con, the maplist.py all of these can be modified server side in hotfixes and we can all still get on the server.
    October 4th 2004-December 10th 2011

World at War
    Tournament Admin
    Swede Chef
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is [WaW]TA|Stubbfan's Country Flag

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adder View Post
    But it can, we've proven that you can modify most anything in the server.zip and run just fine, from the tmp.con to the gameplayer objects we modified them all this campaign server side and it's worked. We had a good 2/3rds of the server on Woodrun for example running without the hotfix because it never got posted up in the last few rounds.

The gameplay objects, the tmp.con, the maplist.py all of these can be modified server side in hotfixes and we can all still get on the server.
    There's still things that just won't work or cause mysterious crashes. We had some sucesses previous campaigns as well but also crashes, bf2 is picky.

Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adder View Post

Still replacing something in the client.zip would either require a 30mb "hotfix" or people to edit their zip files. But if we leave the inGameMap.dds outside of client.zip, it can be replaced all we want by just a simple extraction.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.

Registered User Axis 25 Yontohei
    Last Online
    03-08-2012
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both sides can have different minimaps it's been tested. When previously discussed before it came up of people editing the client and then it would lead to people editing more and it would be considered hacking by our own admins. PB does not pick up on it and will not kick/ban you.

And all that has to happen is release the map like normal. When a side makes there overlay they release it packed as such

level_name.rar/level_name/client.zip/hud/minimap/ingamemap.dds

then people just extract the map just like they were installing the map. the hotfix would not be 30mb. If people fix their minimaps they go from 16mbs (bfeditor size) down to 2mb or less.

Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would replace the real client.zip with one that only contains the minimap. Windows doesn't do add to archive, it only does replace.

Registered User Allies 30 Private
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    This is 94P|Pf peppervieze's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adder is partially correct here. the server.zip can be modified safely if the file sizes in the zip are the same as they were before. But as soon as you get a bit out of the correct size it may start giving random crashes. Also, the BF2 engine is utter crap in cache and memory clearing(as in: shutdown. delete stuff, restart. its still there?! try again. its gone).

Minimaps for both sides? Probably possible, again if both sizes have the same file size. Offcourse this may be difficult depending on the file format and how many colours both side use. Although different rules may be allowed for this.

Client side, pretty much anything can be edited until it looks completely different. scary but true. I am working on building a new md5 hash with the minimod. This has acts as a signature on all files and allows the engine to check the integrity of the files. When it detects a error it will kick the player. Fortunately the BF2 devs were kind enough to include a couple of scripts to allow the checking.

EDIT: These hashes can also be done map-side. So that may require some testing to see how far it allows people to extend that security hole(knowing BF2, probably to jupiter or some saturn).

Damned if we do, no fun if we don't

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
    George Carlin

Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimaps are dds, dds are always the same filesize unless using some goofy dds that doesn't have to be ^2.

World at War
    Tournament Admin
    Swede Chef
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is [WaW]TA|Stubbfan's Country Flag

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka* Paasky View Post
    Minimaps are dds, dds are always the same filesize unless using some goofy dds that doesn't have to be ^2.
    If you save it in the correct format and size yes

Unpacking, re-packing. This would only lead to problems IMO.

World at War
    German Company Officer
    WaW Default
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    This is Ayrton's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put stuff in the minimap on one. Is this an overlay?

or do you mean something else?

World at War
    British Company Officer
    Allies 32 Captain
    Last Online
    05-24-2019
    Country
    This is riskmanagement's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture not showing up for me Ayrton, but if its the letters you had on a map you were working on then yes. The word overlay is somewhat wrong to use as you are infarct just editing/painting on the existing mini map dds picture, that you then replace the original picture with.

If used both sides just need to used the same program and format and we should be good to go.

Engineers lead the way..... ALL THE WAY
    Combat engineers will fight for a town, rebuild the town, build the road to the town, build a bridge over the river outside town, fortify and defend it all and then blow all of it up when we are done with it!

Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They dont have to use the same program, just a editor that can handle .dds files. As paasky mentioned, there always the same file size.

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
    George Carlin

Registered User Allies 25 Soldat
    Last Online
    03-22-2013
    Country
    This is minimal's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overlays are a hassle in FH2, and we can do just as well without them. They were nice to have in FH1, but in FH2 we have the Q-spots instead, and they are better and more accurate than an overlay ever was. I don't want overlays.

Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wouldnt need to have to install it. Everyone could make there own for that matter.

George Carlin

Last Online
    12-04-2016
    Country
    This is YkS Hickle's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KaX~ minimal View Post
    The overlays are a hassle in FH2, and we can do just as well without them. They were nice to have in FH1, but in FH2 we have the Q-spots instead, and they are better and more accurate than an overlay ever was. I don't want overlays.

Except that Q-Spotting has a range. You can only Q-Spot so far and only units close to you can see the Q-Spot. I've always felt minimap overlays were much better. Even with the q-spot system people are still using keypads as reference and colored sections which conform to the map are much better and a lot more accurate as well as easier to use. Also it helps the commander out a lot more. Because on the command map you can not see grid lines just as on the compass map you cannot see grid lines.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Last Online
    03-08-2012
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. When it comes down to making the overlay there is nothing that can mess up anything.

The server will not kick you. The server will not crash. It doesnt matter what either side has. Each individual person could have there own and it wouldn't matter. PB will not pick it up. PB will not kick you for hacking.

It doesn't matter the file size. It doesn't matter what program you use to make it. In fact as long as it's .dds and "size X size" that the map is you can put in a picture of whatever you want it and it will load the picture.

When it comes down to getting these to work or if they work i've already worked it all out and tested it.

Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but we can't ask everyone to open their client.zips and open a certain folder in it and add the ingamemap.dds into it.

Well we could, but knowing the computer-finesse some of our clientele have....

Which is why you need to keep the minimap separate from the client.zip if you want this to work on a tourny-wide scale, not just for you.

Last Online
    12-04-2016
    Country
    This is YkS Hickle's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WinRar will automatically extract into itself paasky. And into the right folders if you have it set up properly.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Last Online
    03-08-2012
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah winrar has the add/replace for zips so

Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that would require clicking a radio button, which will prob cause much confusion.

Last Online
    03-08-2012
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i think it pops ups and asks you what you want to do anyways... idk just wanted to bring it up so that maybe the cinc's for next campaign can decide what they want to do and that it can be done

Last Online
    03-22-2012
    Country
    This is [1CAG]D|Capt.Sword's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a great idea.

If you find your self in a fair fight, you didn't plan well enough.
    Shhhhhh

World at War
    Tournament Admin
    WaW Default
    Last Online
    07-04-2018
    Country
    This is Whinger's Country Flag

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good but i still have my doubts about this being better than what we have right now.I saw one of the overlayed FH1 minimaps a while ago and i vaguely remember it.

Can somebody post one of them so we can see how they were exactly or is it just like what Ayrton posted? The one that i saw, if i remember correctly had different colors and names, painted areas around the flags/landmarks and what not.

Like i said i have doubts on how is this going to be an advantadge other than being able to locate the grid a couple seconds faster than you might now.

Also if we already have a few guys having problems installing hotfixes properly,i don't know how well is it going to work unless the MTPs add it in the "right before battle version" what will force them to make two different zips,etc...

I don't know,like everything else i guess that we can always give it a shot during the scrims.

World at War Gears
    Last Online
    09-29-2018
    Country
    This is Avrojet's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An old overlay:

Previous discussion thread:
    http://bfewaw.com/showthread.php?t=23414

World at War
    British Division Staff Officer
    Allies 32 Majorgeneral
    Last Online
    11-12-2018
    Country
    This is 1AB|MGen BashFash's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like i said i have doubts on how is this going to be an advantadge other than being able to locate the grid a couple seconds faster than you might now.
    Just by looking at the one Avro posted,

-Most obvious advantage is marking crossable fjords for tankers and people driving instead of asking over TS on battle day "Hey where the fjords" and getting a reply "Some where in A-5"

-Giving Bridges Proper Nouns as to be more distinguishable instead of getting random "Bridge at K-5 is mined"

-Giving Airforce an easier way of locating targets[while flying you really can't go into big map mode, so its just easier if someone says Green zone[what ever] ]

-As you said if you go ahead and put the keypad system on it takes less time to shout it out over TS and there is less confusion as there is a standard.

-You can re-name the flags if they are stupidly named and everyone will know it.

-Also not sure, but I believe he has outlined the entry positions to flags that have gates [I assume the aqua lines represent a gate or barrier that has holes in it]

Mind you this is from what I assume at looking at it, in practice there are probably many other advantages to having a detailed mini-map.
    WAW History:

You would be correct on all of those, in addition you can't see it well heath closets and ammo crates were marked. As were the spawn points
    October 4th 2004-December 10th 2011