03-08-2012
    Country
    This is YkD Frodo[XXII]'s Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimap Overlays

I'm going to bring it up now so there's more than a month to argue discuss it.

Anyone that doesn't know what an Overlay is...

Basically both armies have the option to "photoshop" the minimap to put colored grids over it for easier calling out

The Basics:

- Minimaps are client side so either side could have different ones or none at all

- Each side would be responsible for making their own if they so chose.

- Each side would be responsible for distributing their overlay

- Players would be responsible for downloading and extracting the minimap (It's the same thing as extracting the battle map)

And if someone has an old overlay laying around please post it. i can't seem to find any of mine

Castle Vaqueros---------------------Black Morass---------------------Caumont
    22 MyIS/MFOTS Sponsored Campaigns and Counting

Registered User Allies 25 Soldat 1ere
    Last Online
    06-02-2013
    Country
    This is 70D|Bg Spfft-Ebil's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this was discussed already back in.... #15?

And i think people came to the conclusion that PB dislikes minimap overlays and thinks they are h4x. Which resulted to us not using them in Fh2.

Yeah, i was supposed to make a cool sig but i got lazy. So here's a picture of a dog.
    WaW14 - Rc[48AD]Cp. \ WaW15 - Ra|/// \ WaW16 - FJS|/// \ WaW17 - PKJ|// \ WaW18 - MIT|/// \ WaW19 - 58H Sg. \ WaW20 - S|60Pf.

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    08-15-2016
    Country
    This is Thawk's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that was the reason Spfft, I think with the BF2 engine, both sides had to have the exact same overlay and when it was proposed one side didn't want to do it so we didn't do it.

Basically, I am not sure if both sides can have different overlays, but with Pepper on the team well we might be able to do something. seeing as he is some coding-god.

Registered User Allies 25 Soldat 1ere
    Last Online
    06-02-2013
    Country
    This is 70D|Bg Spfft-Ebil's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah that was it indeed. I just remembered that it was Bf2 being stupid but didn't remember the details.

Yeah, i was supposed to make a cool sig but i got lazy. So here's a picture of a dog.
    WaW14 - Rc[48AD]Cp. \ WaW15 - Ra|/// \ WaW16 - FJS|/// \ WaW17 - PKJ|// \ WaW18 - MIT|/// \ WaW19 - 58H Sg. \ WaW20 - S|60Pf.

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't include the minimap in the client.zip, but in it's correct folder. Then both sides can edit it as they wish without touching the client.zip file.

The client.zip file is about 95% of the filesize of the map, and BF2 can't handle hotfixes. That was the reason.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ka* Paasky View Post

The client.zip file is about 95% of the filesize of the map, and BF2 can't handle hotfixes. That was the reason.
    But it can, we've proven that you can modify most anything in the server.zip and run just fine, from the tmp.con to the gameplayer objects we modified them all this campaign server side and it's worked. We had a good 2/3rds of the server on Woodrun for example running without the hotfix because it never got posted up in the last few rounds.

The gameplay objects, the tmp.con, the maplist.py all of these can be modified server side in hotfixes and we can all still get on the server.
    October 4th 2004-December 10th 2011