03-13-2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions from a old-timer..

Greetings all,

Sorry, this is going to be a long one..

I participated in some of the very first BFE-WaW campaigns. I can't remember exactly which numbers, possibly 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 - vanilla 1942, probably 6 or 7 years ago. I was in the Axis Luftwaffe for one, and Allied Infantry B12 for the other. Some names that I remember; Ramen and Rommel were Commanders I think, and I remember one of the best pilots, Jamison. But enough about that.

I saw the Forgotten Hope 2 mod on Fileplanet today, and went to watch some videos/trailers for it, and in a comment for one of the videos someone mentioned WaW. I was doubtful that WaW was still up and running, but I googled it and... well here I am - surprised to see this still going!

I have some very fond memories of those old Campaigns - probably the best multiplayer experience I've ever had in any game to this very day. So when I found out, like 2 hours ago that this is still going I got pretty excited.

I don't even own BF2 (don't like it nearly as much as 1942), but I'm now seriously considering buying it just to play in WaW again - great timing for me too, seems that a fresh campaign has just started!

I just wanted to make sure that this tournament is still as active and fun as it used to be. Is the battle server aslways full with a lineup, or do you struggle to get both sides full? I assume the lag is better now? (oh god, 1942 netcode was terrible) Do people still play with a serious attitude, or is there alot of jack-assery that ruins the fun? I can't imagine that this tournament would have gone downhill in terms of fun, otherwise it wouldn't still be running, but I just wanted to double check.

Cheers Mates (Long Live B12 Vitamins!)
    I might be seeing you on the battlefield very soon..

Registered User Allies 31 Private
    Last Online
    04-15-2018
    Country
    This is BsP Firelord's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun, organized gameplay, servers are full during battle day.
    Get your copy of BF2 and join

Registered User Fransiscus
    Last Online
    03-10-2020
    Country
    This is [WaW]Fransiscus's Country Flag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KEP~~~ Firelord View Post
    Fun, organized gameplay, servers are full during battle day.
    Get your copy of BF2 and join
    +1 and there are also quite some old people actually around that you might remember then

World at War Gears
    Last Online
    09-29-2018
    Country
    This is Avrojet's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B12 Warrant Officer 2nd Class Avrojet, present - That was WaW #3 btw.
    Long live General Idgaf

Welcome back Noisy We're indeed still going.

There aren't too many guys from the first few campaigns around but things are still pretty similar to what they used to be.

It's definately worth getting BF2 just for playing in WaW

Last Online
    03-13-2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, definitely remember your name, and Idgaf too.

Glad to hear this is still as fun as the old days. Urges to play are growing!

Another question for you all - I've heard that the Steam version of BF2 and Mods (such as Forgotten Hope) don't play very nice together. I've read a few threads from a few different places with work-arounds that work for some people but not others, and while they may work for me if I'm lucky, is there any actual guaranteed to work method that you guys have come up with? Surely some of you are running the Steam version and have had this problem?

Thanks again.

World at War
    1st Airborne Division
    Allies 32 Private
    Last Online
    08-25-2018
    Country
    This is 1AB|Pvt.Grail's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J13 WAW 3. Lost more than we won but we stuck to it. Just played with a full server for 11 hours today. Grab a copy of BF2 and try your luck with us.

World at War
    1st Airborne Division
    Allies 32 Private
    Last Online
    07-13-2019
    Country
    This is 1AB|Pvt. Wilhelm's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoisyMonk View Post
    Another question for you all - I've heard that the Steam version of BF2 and Mods (such as Forgotten Hope) don't play very nice together. I've read a few threads from a few different places with work-arounds that work for some people but not others, and while they may work for me if I'm lucky, is there any actual guaranteed to work method that you guys have come up with? Surely some of you are running the Steam version and have had this problem?
    From what I have heard, the digital download copy of BF2 bought via the EA Downloader and the Steam version of BF2 do not work with FH2 (other mods may work). I also seem to recall some mention of problems with the Battlefield 2 Complete Collection.

I have no knowledge of how any of the work-arounds perform or even that there were any for these issues, so I can't really answer your question.

The FH2 mod uses a custom fh2.exe as its own work-around to get some special graphical features to work with BF2 and for some reason it causes problems with those specific versions of BF2.

If you can find a standard copy of BF2, that might be the safest route to take. If not, then maybe one of those work-arounds you mentioned could work. I do not know if anyone here uses the Steam or digital version of BF2.

In any case, welcome back to the forums!

EDIT - I found this thread on the official FH2 forums in the Help section. Perhaps there is ways of getting the Steam version to work with FH2:

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=2543.0

WaW #8: [30AI]Q|SSgt.Wilhelm - Australian
    WaW#9: [34GD]SR|Mpra.Wilhelm - Russian
    WaW#10: LS[39Fj]///|Wilhelm -> Gw%[Gj37]>>|Wilhelm - German
    WaW#11: [42Wx]P|Sgt.Wilhelm - British
    Classic Battles: Pg[HgA]///|Wilhelm - Axis
    WaW#12: Tg[J43]J~|Wilhelm - Japanese

Last Online
    03-13-2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, thats one of the fixes that I've found so far - there are a few more on the Steam forums too.

Well, when I get paid if a few days I'm going to get BF2 off Steam and give it a shot - wish me luck! Hope to see you on the field next Saturday!

NoisyMonk.

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-13-2020
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a lot of downloading to do then Somewhere in the vicinity of 5-6 gigs.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

Registered User Axis 30 Major
    Last Online
    06-24-2018
    Country
    This is Bs* w00ter's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I get the vet! Wait, "Do people still play with a serious attitude, or is there alot of jack-assery that ruins the fun? I can't imagine that this tournament would have gone downhill in terms of fun, otherwise it wouldn't still be running, but I just wanted to double check."

Uh oh...I have to put on the serious face now

Welcome back new/old guy! I'll give you a good time

Campaign History: MIG^^ w00ter | LDG~ w00ter | B|60Ct w00ter | 62Brig w00ter | AzE~~~ w00ter | 66S|Ct w00ter | 68D|Pv w00ter

Registered User WaW Default
    Last Online
    03-05-2020
    Country
    This is Skooterkid's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B|60Rc NoisyMonk View Post
    Do people still play with a serious attitude, or is there alot of jack-assery that ruins the fun? I can't imagine that this tournament would have gone downhill in terms of fun, otherwise it wouldn't still be running, but I just wanted to double check.
    Oh do I have stories for you

Registered User Allies 31 Private
    Last Online
    06-04-2019
    Country
    This is AB*Rct [130.Pz]S.Lainer's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B|60Ct w00ter View Post
    Welcome back new/old guy! I'll give you a good time

Run new/old guy! RUN!

Last Online
    03-13-2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's too late! He's already got me, save yourselves ~ AAaaHHhh!

Seriously though, it feels good to be back already and I haven't even played anything yet.

On a side note, I've got everything up and running (got FH2 working and Steam version). TS is set up and I've got a mic. For you Allies, hopefully I should be able to show up to practice tonight. For you Axis, say hi to some hot lead!

NoisyMonk.

World at War
    1st Airborne Division
    Allies 32 Private
    Last Online
    07-13-2019
    Country
    This is 1AB|Pvt. Wilhelm's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B|60Rc NoisyMonk View Post
    It's too late! He's already got me, save yourselves ~ AAaaHHhh!

Seriously though, it feels good to be back already and I haven't even played anything yet.

On a side note, I've got everything up and running (got FH2 working and Steam version). TS is set up and I've got a mic. For you Allies, hopefully I should be able to show up to practice tonight. For you Axis, say hi to some hot lead!

NoisyMonk.
    Which work-around did you use to get FH2 working?

WaW #8: [30AI]Q|SSgt.Wilhelm - Australian
    WaW#9: [34GD]SR|Mpra.Wilhelm - Russian
    WaW#10: LS[39Fj]///|Wilhelm -> Gw%[Gj37]>>|Wilhelm - German
    WaW#11: [42Wx]P|Sgt.Wilhelm - British
    Classic Battles: Pg[HgA]///|Wilhelm - Axis
    WaW#12: Tg[J43]J~|Wilhelm - Japanese

Last Online
    03-13-2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link.

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=3911.0

Post #2

PS. After looking through the archive thread of WaW I figured out my Campaign numbers and companies! In my Sig now.

Luftwaffe------Able Company