12-06-2019
    Country
    This is Bailing_Out's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bailings computer selections (so far)

This computer is slowly going out. It just shuts off now and then, or the picture goes fuzzy and I shut it off. Motherboard I am pretty sure cause I also got no sound from TS the other day when it did it so probably not just the vid card. 7 years on a computer that hardly ever gets turned off, pretty good. Ok I got 4 configured, spoilered cause it takes up alot of room. Begin to criticize............. NOW

I didn't get the price on all these but they are all under 1500.

Number 5

</td></tr></tbody></table>

1. The next video cards are just around the corner for December, I don't recommend waiting to buy them since they will be in the 300$-600$ but be aware you will be seeing the 20$-80$ price drops very soon, some-time in late October first week of November

2. Windows XP 64 bit idiot is kind of a worthless edition, best to simply buy Windows 7 64 bit edition and pick up a 32 bit copy of Windows XP if you don't already have one to dual boot when needed.

3. Buy Core I7 if you have the cash and Core I5 if you don't. Right now Core I5 kicks the pants off the value market unless your going to buy a Black edition Phenom and have enough cooling to hit 4Ghtz with it. And the Core I5's can easily hit 3.2-3.6ghtz with air cooling. Same thing with the I-7's

4. Don't spend more than 300$ on your processor unless you got a 1000$ laying around that must go away

5. Same thing with video cards

6. Unless you have 5.1 Speakers or 7.1 Speakers I recommend against spending money on a Creative card, to headphones they make little difference, if you want EAX and goodness, go buy ASUS Xonar's which are far cheaper and included the same technology.

Since the first Audgy for Creative was released, Creative has been in a damn slump as far as drivers go, now you pretty much have to buy a new sound card to get new drivers.
    October 4th 2004-December 10th 2011

Last Online
    12-06-2016
    Country
    This is BigBlueCheese's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LD*Adder View Post
    Since the first Audgy for Creative was released, Creative has been in a damn slump as far as drivers go, now you pretty much have to buy a new sound card to get new drivers.
    My audigy 2 has been treating me well

I will say, my friend has the same 5.1 system I do and his sound like crap on his sound card.

I'll probably give my opinion on the specs later... right now I need food

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn I did pick a sound card on one of those, I didn't intend to. I just do on board since I don't hear good enough for it to matter. They did used to be handy for something else though, I think it was the old type game controllers used to hook to them, maybe not.

I began to think of going in another direction while at work tonight. Buy the good stuff as a base and add more ram and other things later. But I do kinda want to do the crossfire now. I don't really want the DVD writers since I have one in a box but only one place had the plain DVD reader available.

I do have a 32 bit XP laying behind the end table. I bought it when I couldn't find the 3rd Vaio system recovery cd for a week. Then found it and didn't use the new XP cd.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought this one a minute ago. Now I just got to make the payments on time.

*BASE_PRICE: [+795]
    CPU: Intel(R) CoreT i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
    CD: SONY 16X DVD-ROM [-4] (BLACK COLOR)
    CAS: Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window & Temperature Display [-7] (Black Color with Green Ring & Green LED Fan)
    CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
    FAN: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof 16dBA)(Venom Boost Pro OC Certified) [+45]
    HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA [+55]
    MEMORY: 3GB (1GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+14] (Corsair or Major Brand)
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    POWERSUPPLY: 950 Watts Power Supplies [+80] (CyberPowerPC Power Supply)
    RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: None
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] [+237] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
    _PRICE: (+1224)
    _view_: d
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Coupon: REPEAT (5% Discount) $-61.20
    SUBTOTAL $1,162.80

Here's a picture of it
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
    Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

my blog Which I rarely post to.

You went overboard on the power supply if that computer draws over 325 Watts at full power I'd be surprised. Put more hard-drives or something in it. Power supply's work best when they are at about a 50-70% load and worst when they are at 90%-100% load. So if you have the cash and you pick up a second 5850 to Crossfire(Or win/steal one) you should be sitting fine at 460-520's in range. Every hard-drive uses a max of about eighteen watts and things like the WD Green series use only about eight when under load so it's CPU and video card that really put loads on power supplies.

Registered User Allies 26 Staff Sergeant
    Last Online
    11-07-2012
    Country
    This is 72Q|Ct Pyrriche's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if there aren´t enough loadouts from everybody going around these days...

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another hard drive and a DVD writer. This hard drive I hope will go inside it, work and the DVD writer I bought last year but never put in this computer. The DVD writer I am pretty sure will work in it.

If the hard drive won't work in it then I will get everything off of it with that little red box it will fit in, I can't remember the name of that thing. I used it to get everything off my old hard drive.

I haven't bought a game (in years actually) that needed a better video card than the 5850. I was going to do a crossfire but I figured why now? Wait until the 5850 goes down in price then get another if I need it or maybe wait till the 5970 goes down in price and just get one of those. The 5850 will play everything I have way better than this ati 9600 I got now. Hell I can put most things on high I'm pretty sure.

I don't buy games like many of you, I buy one and play it until hell freezes over. I haven't seen anything I like in a very long time. Some of them require the reflexes/reaction times of an 11 year old, I don't have those anymore. Maybe Madden, might get that. I sometimes still play roller coaster tycoon, mostly to make the riders sick. This new computer will do me for another 7 years. I will probably still be using XP 32 when MS comes out with whatever comes after windows 7.

I got that much power for later, if I need it.
    Kissinger Quote "The superpowers often behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other, whom he assumes to have perfect vision.
    Over time even two armed blind men in a room can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

The camps I remember being in. Maybe some others, I was drinking, I was on the moon with Steve.

Last Online
    07-12-2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KEK Bailing_Out View Post
    I will probably still be using XP 32 when MS comes out with whatever comes after windows 7.
    Windows 8, believe it or not.

"Beyonce is the only black woman I would do because she most closely resembles a white male."
    - Patterson

Registered User Axis 29 Scheutze
    Last Online
    02-12-2019
    Country
    This is ADRIFTER's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditch the slow HDD it came with in favor of some sort of raid array for your OS setup.

With the current prices of hard drives there is absolutely no reason not to setup a raid array in a new PC build.

That motherboard has a decent raid controller on board, so you might as well make use of it. At the very least grab two identical hard drives of moderate speed and stripe them together.

On another note, building a new PC is a best time to create an efficient hard drive and partition setup. Don't get lazy and simply use one massive 500gb partition for your windows install. That's the best way to fragment and corrupt it, which will require a fresh install to fully fix.

For instance, i have about 4tb of total internal HDD space, and i don't have a single partition over 300gb. My install of windows is on a 30gb partition. It's just so much easier to keep important files (such as games) de-fragmented that way.

I have separate partitions for programs, games, media, my install of windows, paging files (for windows and editing software), etc. You can never be too organized when it comes to partitions.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A raid array is faster because it accesses the data together, one drive getting one part the other drive the next part then repeat? right? I don't know anything about raid arrays.

I almost bought one of the 64gig SSD drives but the price turned me off. "ALMOST INSTANT DATA ACCESS" it said. I said at that price I can wait another 100 milliseconds for data.

I don't use a single partition even on this old drive, its 400 gigs. I made the same size windows partition as you did. My games are all on the E though.

This drive is basically a copy of an older smaller one with more space and now more stuff on it. I generally know where everything is on it. I know it is in bad shape as far as organization, I searched for a file with windows tonight, it didn't find it, I found it. Weird, it had never failed to find something that was there before. I am not very organized, never have been, doubt I will change now. I do seem to remember how I have left things though. Yeah I know that's me not the computer, it runs better the better organized it is.

Media, my pron isn't very organized LOL. it is about all the media I have. I thought, still do think, about doing other things aside from playing games, internet and pron with a computer but work work work so all I feel like doing on it is goofing off. Reinstalls? hell I've reinstalled the OS on the 2 CPU's I've owned probably 20 times, maybe more. That is why I no longer put things I want to keep on the C drive, after reinstall they are all still there on the E. First one I lost everything I collected, not all of it pron either. <--Long winded old ******* aint he.

Thanks for the advice though, I will try to organize a little better, maybe I won't have to reinstall so often.

Oh I forgot something, this drive also has a section on it with stuff from my first hard drive, 98 model, mostly old emails, a few dos games, some other crap. One of the emails has a virus in it, I think I kept it so I could send it to someone I hated but I never did.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country
    This is [WaW]CA|Melvin's Country Flag

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RAID is good and better with the more drives you use. I take advantage of an original intent of RAID, (it's meaning being Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks). But I really like it for the increased access time. I use RAID 0 and RAID 5 on one system.

Some details on my use and organization of RAID:

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID has a good write up, although I learned details about this years ago from some of the References and External links they have. I believe it is always good to cross check Wikipedia when doing technical stuff; I certainly don't depend on Wikipedia.
    WaW#16: C|52Cp (Scottish) - Voted Best Engineer
    WaW#17: F|54LT (East African)
    WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)
    WaW#19: LD*** (Italian)
    WaW#20: KEG~~ (German) - (2nd for CO, Bullet Magnet)
    WaW#21: Ka**** (Finnish) - Voted Best Div Staff, Best Engineer
    WaW#22: 64T|2L (Welsh) - Voted Best Teamplayer
    WaW#23: 66P|Sg (Polish)
    WaW#24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32: [WaW]TA/CA

Last Online
    12-06-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a chance to try a RAID array, but I would definitely go for a RAID 5 array on my next computer build. If you're crazy about backup though, you can also configure for a RAID 0+1 array to use two disks as backup and two in RAID 0, but that still means you're only using 50% of your space for storage.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motherboards box came with the thing, they used the box as an extra cushion and to hold the mouse, other crap. The PC itself is barely gonna fit where the old one now sits, its alot longer.

What the hell is up with ASUS, on the box it says Rock Solid but also heart touching, really. Took the side off, don't think it has a cable for my older type hard drive or a place to plug the one I can use from this one. Oh well.

The basically free keyboard that came with it has all this stuff about how it has Win 98 acpi power management keys LOL. Man it sat around for awhile didn't it.

It came with 2 extra fans, they were in the motherboards box, looks like they are the same size as the current case fans.

Well hell with it, gonna put the power plug on it fire it up and install xp.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever wish you'd kept your old Win 98 cd?

Registered User Allies 27 Private
    Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country
    This is Paasky's Country Flag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still got Win 95

You should give Win7 a try.

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.
    KiMo: Nah nothing against you... I think your insane, that's all.

Ever wish you'd kept your old Win 98 cd?
    No, because I did. I've got a still good copy of Windows 98 SE, 95, 2000 and of course now XP and Windows 7. Plus my old copies of Redhat Linux and various other distros.

Of course electronics degradation being what it I won't be able to install those for more than another five years or so.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems Bailing wasn't paying close enough attention when he bought what he thought was XP with service pack 2. Upgrade only. Luckily, for some reason, the CD key and certificate of authenticity was still laying in a little box. I am now downloading win 98 so I can install it then upgrade to XP. I am a ******* *******.

Last Online
    12-06-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks. At least you pulled a fix out...

And I was similarly confused by the Asus slogan. It's almost good enough to put on Engrish

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KES~~~ Adder View Post
    No, because I did. I've got a still good copy of Windows 98 SE, 95, 2000 and of course now XP and Windows 7. Plus my old copies of Redhat Linux and various other distros.

Of course electronics degradation being what it I won't be able to install those for more than another five years or so.
    Hummm.... I guess my floppy of DOS 6.22 is useless by now.

WaW#18: 56Maj (English) - Voted Most Unrecognized/Work, (2nd for Arty, Div Staff)

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To play dos games and stuff you can use Dos Box. I can't remember where I got it anymore. Went to work now time to burn the ISO to a CD.

Wondering if I can move the video card to the other slot, it would be totally out of the way down in the other slot. It is right up against the hard drive, maybe move the hard drive to another bay.

Apparently I have downloaded the German version of Win 98. Well maybe I can do enough with it to get by.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully I didn't have to install win 98. All xp wanted was the cd in the drive to prove I had it. Still using the old one till I partition the drive tonight. Might have been a bad install with win 98 being "in the original German", as Molly Ivins might put it.

Hard drive was mounted in a slot that put it so close to the video card that the cables had a very sharp bend in them causing them to not be connected, so nothing would install until I pushed them in very hard. Have to move the HD, video card looks like a ***** to move to the other slot and I, knowing damn little about it, don't know if it will work in the 2nd slot.

No option to partition during xp install. Have 6 or so programs to do that with tonight. One will make a dual boot partition. Maybe a german win 98 install in my future LOL.

Wondering if that fan in the front can even get air where it is mounted, must be an opening there I can't see.

The new one is so easy to get into I will be tempted to ***** with it all the time. Not good. I took the first one I bought almost completely apart right after I got it, just to see how it was put together.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... "in the original German", as Molly Ivins might put it. ...
    LOL. Now that's an esoteric reference.

... cables had a very sharp bend in them causing them to not be connected...
    In addition to connection issues, for some cables (typically that carry high frequency signals), the sharp bend can degrade signal quality and cause errors.

... The new one is so easy to get into I will be tempted to ***** with it all the time. ...
    I know what you mean. Whenever I build a new PC, I don't just research the electronics stuff allot, but the case, too. I'll gladly pay extra $ to get a case that is easy to access, has room for expansion, good airflow design, and is quality built. I go for metal; aluminum in particular.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. Now that's an esoteric reference.
    Probably the funniest thing Ivins ever said/wrote, even if I didn't agree with it it was still a good one.

It arrived 6 days ahead of schedule so I expected some issues. Didn't think I would like the see thru side but you can plan ahead when you can see it. I like the webstores that put good pictures of an item on the page. All the cases had windows, well the ones I knew the motherboard would have plenty of room inside. Almost didn't think of that, almost bought a case where it would have been cramped for the board. Its metal except for the window, only thing not to like about the metal ones is they dent and you can't get the dents out. But a dented up computer will look tough anyway.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its running, took me 2 hours get to the internet to work last night. Either one or the other of my DVD drives is always on the fritz. Once I installed Daemon Tools the one that wasn't working started working but now the DVD writer I installed stopped, windows says its not connected. Other than that its great. Moved the HD but I still don't like the way its situated. Baby kitten wanted to get inside computer and sleep while I worked on it.

Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a baby kitten

Sionnach: I have come to the conclusion that you [Paasky] are a complete nutcase.
    Grunty: Paasky is officialy insane. It wasn't official until somone like me said it. I'm bad but Paasky is bloody looney.

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is too old, 6 months, to be a baby. Its slightly crippled and isn't growing very fast, still acts like a baby because we baby it. Sleeping in the food pan as I type.

World at War
    Community Admin
    Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
    Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [MTP] Paasky View Post
    I want a baby kitten
    I would consider Bailing_Out's sig picture to be a baby kitten.

Last Online
    09-22-2016
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MEOW pussycat!

Last Online
    12-06-2019
    Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got around to installing BF FH 2. Damn , that is what its supposed to look like? I mean that in a good way. You're not supposed to have pauses where neither you or anything else is moving on screen for 2 to 5 seconds? Really I had gotten to believe that was the way it was supposed to be. Turned almost everything up all the way, only turned AA up to 2. Too bad I really don't play much better I penalize myself five yards for overuse of smileys and spamming my own thread this week.