PDA

View Full Version : Invasion 1944 for ArmA2

I44_Guy
01-04-2014, 03:47 AM
Hello all,

I'm new around here so I'll first introduce myself. My name is Guy and I am one of the developers of the Invasion1944 mod for A2/A3, as well as being a VBS2 (ArmA2 for 'serious' users) developer.
I met Quervo while playing WWIIOnline today and he mentioned this gaming community and I thought I'd poke my head in and say hi - I've been looking for a teamwork based gaming community for ages! (I'm also a big PR fan).

As well as wanting to play with you guys, I also thought I'd give you as much information as I can regarding Invasion1944, as I know there's interest in making ArmA2/3 the next platform for the community.

ArmA2:

-------

Invasion1944 is quite a large release for ArmA2 and we're currently working on getting the content piece by piece into ArmA3. There are quite a lot of physics changes and little nuances that we are learning regarding ArmA3, and while we have most of them mastered, its still a long process getting everything imported, especially when we are busy IRL!

We're nearly complete with a small infantry pack release for ArmA3, but there won't be much in the way of vehicles this early so it might be a long wait. However as I mentioned above, our ArmA2 release is jam packed full of content and lots of fun.

You'll probably notice that there aren't LOADS of missions (both SP and MP) in our ArmA2 release. This is because most gaming communities write their own and this is another reason that the ArmA platform is a great choice for a team based gaming community such as WaW. In an evening, or week, or month (depending on how anally retentive you are regarding little details) you could create a mission tailored to the number of participants, their interests and any events that you want to simulate during the mission. We as a mod team provide the terrains and the units - simple. (Sorry if that was patronising for some, but I recognize that some members might not be familiar with the ArmA way of doing things.)

ArmA3:

-------

So what about ArmA3 as a WaW platform. First off, its freaking awesome - ArmA3 has taken the best of ArmA2 and also added loads of much wanted improvements like smoother animations and physX. The graphics shaders are also a massive step up and it just 'feels' more complete and modern. I can't wait for our team to release Invasion1944 for ArmA3!
There are many other mods for ArmA3 and they are great fun. But being the slow mover that I am I've not tried many yet!

The vanilla content for ArmA3 is good fun and just like ArmA2, plays well in the hands of an organised community - the mission editor is the same, the scripting language is the same but with more functions. It is just generally a step up all around. However it's set in the future and my imagination rarely stretches that far.

ArmA3 is better than ArmA2, but the modding community is still young and there aren't any of the major total conversion mods that there are for ArmA2. It's certainly something that will take over in the future, but maybe not just yet.

My 2 Cents (As the Yanks say):
-------

I know you need to make a decision regarding what to put onto a server, and my naturally biased answer would be to get a decent ArmA2 server for Invasion1944, but be prepared to shift to ArmA3 in the future. I'd give A3 some time personally, it still feels 'in development'.

-------

So, this message has three main purposes.

1) Hello, this is me.

2) I'm new and would like to play.

3) I think Invasion1944 would be a great gaming platform!

Thanks and hello again.

Guy

[WaW]CA|Melvin
01-04-2014, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the note, Guy. Indeed, I44 is one WW2 mod worth looking at. I'm very interested to read your comments and to hear more from you and the I44 development community regarding your game.

How do you find working with the ArmA toolset? In your opinion, are the ArmA3 tools very similar in use as the ArmA2 tools? I gather there are improvements to ArmA3, but I'm curious if the basic tool set is still the same or very similar. If we made content for ArmA2 based I44 what would it take to convert that over to ArmA3 based I44? Are you keeping the same I44 design and just porting it to the new engine? Does I44 make changes or add features to the basic ArmA engine? For instance, WaW has written Python to enhance or create new features to the FH2 mod running on the BF2 engine.

Yes, WaW needs to put up an ArmA2/I44 server to play with. I think some of us would like to take a closer look and try creating some content. And, we would like to see how it could fit with the WaW culture of game play. ArmA2 is dirt cheap and it would be an easy thing for many of us to check this out.

There is still some discussion on the next campaign for WaW. We are in a state of flux regarding next platform. Heck, we only just gave PR a try in a short campaign and that may be all we do with PR for a while. Many like the WW2 environment, although we have a fair number of gamers that prefer the modern environment. However, all of us like a good, team orientated environment.

[WaW]CA|Melvin
01-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Any to post to this thread, please try to stay on topic and make a contribution to the topic. :smile:

Lardagus
01-04-2014, 05:26 AM
TA|Melvin;3239419']Any to post to this thread, please try to stay on topic and make a contribution to the topic. :smile:

Thank you for the disclaimer, Melvin.

---

Anyway, nice to meet ya, Guy! I've played I44 a long time ago, and it was pretty fun. I think you guys have updated majorly since then, so it's probably way better, but those para-drops in the middle of hedgerows at night with AI tanks swarming around was pretty interesting. (As in "Massively terrifying when we couldn't find AT, until friendly armor showed up" interesting)

Besides what you might read on the forums, we are somewhat open to change, but it has to be a logical and sound change, nothing dramatic. I44 might be that route, but we would require testing and debates before that's decided.

Just come on TS, and have a good chat with us, maybe play some of the games we are playing. Outside of our tournament game, we do plenty of other games to pass the time or just have fun. As of this post, we have a group playing Train Simulator 2?, and a larger group playing Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars DLC. You are most certain to warm up to us and see how we do it here at World at War!

(Also, as another disclaimer, I kinda act like a... well... You'll just see...)

1ABc|Pvt.MikeB
01-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Best post I've seen in ages, thank you Guy!

1. Hello and welcome to WaW!!

2. Great a lot of us play many different games! I for example play ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 and a bit of DotA 2

3. I couldn't agree more, I44 is a hell load of fun!

Like in my video! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNEiSoah99c

I44_Guy
01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Haha nice video MikeBeehan!

Glad to hear you guys are optimistic!

How do you find working with the ArmA toolset? It can be a bit clunky and is definitely aimed at more serious modders (content creation). HOWEVER, the engine has a really powerful and very easy to use mission editor that is accessed within the game. This is as I said, easy to use and powerful too - so it depends on what you want to create.
Want to create some missions? - Easy.
Want to create a new terrain or model? - More complex, but there is a lot of documentation and an eager to help community.

In your opinion, are the ArmA3 tools very similar in use as the ArmA2 tools? They are the same tools! :)
Regarding crossover for models, its just a case of adjusting materials and adding a few extra components to the 3D models. Generally if you make content (except missions) for A2, it is just a case of adding a few more proxies and extra lines of code to get it into A3. I've never tried to import missions and don't know whether it is possible. I suspect it would be a case of copying the scripts over, but re-placing all the units in the editor.

Are you keeping the same I44 design and just porting it to the new engine? For the stuff that we made recently-ish yes. But we're trying to model more new content for the A3 release. Some of our models are from the OFP era!

Does I44 make changes or add features to the basic ArmA engine? Yes we have added things like better sound effects for supersonic-bullet cracks and our tanks use a better armor simulation. I didn't have much to do with it but afaik we have managed to simulate frontal, side, rear armour along with the penetration values of different ammunition and different angles. It is quite hard to change the engine components as the source code is not available - however, there isn't much you can't do with good scripting.

I hope that answers a few queries!

Guy

I44_Guy
01-05-2014, 03:53 PM
I notice you allude to the fact that you have some modders in the community that may be interested in making things for I44. I can speak to the team and if you have members with skills like 3D modelling, or coding, perhaps they might be interested in also joining the modding team?

Guy

1AB|MGen BashFash
01-05-2014, 04:27 PM
I assume it is kosher to treat this as an "Ask me Anything".?

Dear Guy,

1) What is your job on the Dev team?

2) I apologize for what ever Quervo did.

3) What is I44's balance philosophy as far as individual weapon systems goes? Or is it more of a what ever the performance was IRL is what it is in game?

3a) On the subject of balance philosophy, if the balance is "performance IRL" how do you represent vehicles like the "Tiger" being extremely prone to breakdowns and such?

4) Do you[The design team] have a vague time table as far as unit availability? as in "First you'll do German units for '41, then Brits of '40, etc" or is it more of a "We'll build what ever units at what ever time"

I44_Guy
01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Haha, ask me anything.

1) What is your job on the Dev team? I've been there for around 8-9 years and I do everything from scripting, to modelling to getting units ingame. Because of my job in Civvy Street I know the engine quite well. My primary and most standard function is to 3D model assets and get them working ingame.

2) I apologize for what ever Quervo did. I'm still sore.

3) What is I44's balance philosophy as far as individual weapon systems goes? Or is it more of a what ever the performance was IRL is what it is in game?
Its all about realism for us, it is up to the mission makers/community in how they employ something.

3a) On the subject of balance philosophy, if the balance is "performance IRL" how do you represent vehicles like the "Tiger" being extremely prone to breakdowns and such?
We don't build things like that into the models themselves, they will work fine everytime. However the great thing about ArmA is that is is just like a childs toybox. We make the toys, it is up to the user how they are used. For example you could very easily implement a mission where a tiger breaks down and the players have to do something about it etc.

4) Do you[The design team] have a vague time table as far as unit availability? as in "First you'll do German units for '41, then Brits of '40, etc" or is it more of a "We'll build what ever units at what ever time" For our A2 release we focused on D-Day, then we just made anything we wanted lol.
For our A3 release we are focussing on Sicily/Italy. But once again, once that release is out and working, we'll throw any old units in and let people choose how to use them.

Guy

1ABc|Pvt.MikeB
05-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Any updates on the A3 I44? :)

[WaW]ValHallas
05-04-2014, 05:36 PM
MikeBeehan;3241524']Any updates on the A3 I44? :)

Hear hear I was wondering the same. I mean we lived for years on updates from the fh2 dev team showing statics and nothing else.