PDA

View Full Version : More promising news - WWII content for ARMA 3

74C|W2 TassieDevil
12-27-2013, 04:25 AM
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170687-Iron-Front-as-mod-in-Arma-3

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/iMN3o/embed"></iframe>

I don't have this Iron Front game, and looks like a lot of people didn't think too much of it (based solely on the metascore it achieved in Steam), but it's nice to see more A3 WWII content being worked on nonetheless.

Gunter Severloh, who had a huge amount of ARMA content on his website, including I44 stuff, seems to be part of the mod team for this project.

TassieDevil

1AB|Pvt. Wilhelm
12-27-2013, 06:06 AM
<script src="chrome://YouLoop/content/YouLoop_script.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="chrome://YouLoop/content/YouLoop_script.js" type="text/javascript"></script>Very interesting! I'll have to keep my eye on this project. Thanks for the info, Tassie! :D

Ayrton
12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Iron Front didn't get good reviews and didn't play well alright, but what is this exactly?

The project is to convert its content to Arma III?

Is is a port over to Arma III? Or is it a hybrid stand alone?

It seems a person can try it right now, work with the mod.

I'm wondering how official or company driven it is...or might become.

But people on the link seem enthused.

1ABc|Pvt.MikeB
12-27-2013, 10:45 AM
I44 is a mod from arma 2 which is the best imho they are doing it for ARMA 3

IF44 is a pile of **** - ****ty servers, only like 10 people play it they only good thing about it is the Armour, they brought out d-day but the models and skins were horrible. But that being said I will have a look at this "Mod"

1AB|MGen BashFash
12-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Here is the lowdown on Iron Front from someone who played it for some hours.

Pros:
WW2 campaign wasn't.... bad... wasn't good... was so/so, if this was a mod would have given it 8/10, since I paid 30$ for it 2/10
The infantry gameplay was actually better than Stock ARMA2, so 9/10 on both fronts.
Graphics where an improvement over Stock ARMA2 so there's that if this was a mod 9/10, I paid money for it so 5/10

Cons:
Multiplayer crashed often, which I attribute to why the game had only 100 or so Ukranians playing during release week, that number I assume has trickled to three Ukrainians and a Belgian who doesn't know why he's still playing.
Cost me thirty dollars IIRC >:(\

Overall I give this a 4/10, it wasn't the worst game I payed for, but it was pretty close.

If this is free and it uses the same design philosophy, and it doesn't release buggy as hell it could be awesome.

Bailing_Out
12-27-2013, 06:14 PM
I heard a man talk about his wife like that once Kildar, he is no longer with us.

74C|W2 TassieDevil
12-27-2013, 10:30 PM
From what I can tell, the mod is free, but it requires ownership of the IronFront game as well as ARMA 3.

I don't think I remember ever seeing a mod for any game that required a completely unrelated additional game to work.

Perhaps it's because IronFront uses ARMA 2 as it's engine it means that they're not completely unrelated. From the A3 perspective, it does make it feel like you'd be paying for a (normally free) mod, however.

TassieDevil

1AB|MGen BashFash
12-30-2013, 03:09 PM
From what I can tell, the mod is free, but it requires ownership of the IronFront game as well as ARMA 3.

I don't think I remember ever seeing a mod for any game that required a completely unrelated additional game to work.

Perhaps it's because IronFront uses ARMA 2 as it's engine it means that they're not completely unrelated. From the A3 perspective, it does make it feel like you'd be paying for a (normally free) mod, however.

TassieDevil

The Arma 3 mod would have to be spectacular to justify buying Iron Front, seriously.

[WaW]CA|Melvin
12-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Steam Holiday sale is good until January 3rd.

ARMA III is still a little expensive, but is discounted 25% to $45.
If the "Iron Front" Tassie mentions is "Iron Front: Liberation 1944", then it's discounted 50% to $10.

So for that WW2 mod, it's about $55 right now. Too rich for me.

ARMA II: Combined Operations is $12.50 -- needed for the WW2 mod I44. If we start early testing for I44, then this $12.50 investment will be needed to participate in WaW testing. But be aware, we do not expect this to be the next WaW campaign; this will be for contributors, not general play. The ARMA 3 version of I44 is not sufficiently along right now. I expect when I44's ready for widespread testing on ARMA 3, then it will be cheaper; therefore, I'll wait on buying ARMA 3.

This is my own personal decision; a cheap-a$$ gamer person. :D

Lardagus
01-01-2014, 05:40 AM
+1 to Melvin.

I couldn't put down almost 60$ for a game that we may or may not play in the future. I already own ArmA 2, so it's no real problem if we are going to test that for possible use.

3B|Sg Versus
01-01-2014, 11:14 PM
+1 on melvin with that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

74C|W2 TassieDevil
01-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Please note I've not suggested we use this, but it is merely an option... one I'm not particularly chuffed about, myself. It's great news that we're seeing WWII content appearing for A3, however (the purpose of the thread). The fact that this mod requires a completely different, mostly unrelated game is quite an unusual scenario, one I've not seen before. The modders aren't selling their mod, but the cost of the extra game, no matter how much it is, still makes it feel like you're paying for the mod.

It'd wanna be an absolutely jaw-dropping, kick-arse, bundle of perfection for a mod that costs money. And then, they'd usually be created by the official game developers, and referred to as "expansions".

TassieDevil

BsK/ firstblood
01-02-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm sure I am not the only one here who already has both games. So once it comes out we will give it a good test run. We will see after that.

1AB|MGen BashFash
01-02-2014, 03:44 PM
. The modders aren't selling their mod, but the cost of the extra game, no matter how much it is, still makes it feel like you're paying for the mod.

Now I might be just a simple country lawyer, but it seems to me they are requiring the purchase as a way to backdoor sell that mod. As a person whose done backend work on programs and mods, I can't think of a reason they'd require you to purchase it instead of packing it with the mod itself.

I'll test it, because it doesn't cost me anything and I don't want anyone else buying Ironfront unless the people made the new mod worth the 10 or so dollars it is now.

92P|Pv |KFG|Quervo
01-03-2014, 06:03 PM
It turns out that a guy I met in ww2ol is a military sim developer in his rl work and part of the I44 mod team for arma. He was interested by our interest in the mod in that they are in need of testers as well as any modders who may be interested in helping out.
I expect a post from him to this thread to introduce himself, we'll see.

3B|Sg Versus
01-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Nice! Good job quervo!

74C|W2 TassieDevil
01-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Great news, Quervo... nice one :)

May I suggest we start a new thread for I44 stuff, however.. I'm sure there'll be a lot to talk about, and it likely won't have anything to do with this particular mod.

TassieDevil