PDA

View Full Version : Custom map list on our battle server

1AB|Pvt. xtune0
04-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey everyone,

What do you think if we add our best custom maps on the Battle Server?
The server is empty most of the week.
People like custom maps, and new weapons.
Releasing a map pack and the minimod to the public will only make this tournament more popular and known.
We have a different style of gameplay, and our maps suit this type of gameplay.
Some maps might need a little more preparations to be done to them, but I can do that, so no worries.
If because of this we get at least 28 players on the server daily, we can call it a success.

So, what do you all say?

BsP Muratti
04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
good plan

2WD/|Mister_Flanders
04-09-2012, 11:33 AM
A good plan indeed!

BsP Muratti
04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
we could list maps that work and make it so that the minimod is not required to play the maps.
working maps:
st. fromond
long sur mer
iwo jima(with japanese flags?)
stalingrad(without the tanks)

we could put the bombing maps in but they only work with numbers. I updated bombing the reich with more info about what the infantry has to do. you can put it in the list and we will just skip at low numbers.

1AB|Pvt. xtune0
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
But why to make them work without the minimod?... and, it's not about the extra work, but about the file size of each map. And also, the minimod is not hard to install, we can write down a full explanation, with screenshots, you know, like for stupid people.

forgottenkevinohope
04-10-2012, 04:00 AM
agree, its not like you HAVE to play a certain map, you can skip etc...

[WaW] LtnGeorge
04-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Having a full working minimod which installs at once (and weighs in at around 300-500mb) is the thing people would be most likely to play.
This would contain all the maps and all the needed vehicles and stuff.

1AB|Pvt. xtune0
04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Wow, nice ideea George, I always though what if we add some of our best maps in the minimod as default... you know...

Koketsu
04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Aside from special events and Fridays, WaW servers hardly see any action. a good portion on the player base is European so they dont need WaW, they got Hslan & 762.. Give these people something they dont have and they will be all over the WaW server.

Bundle the mini-mod with the maps and folks see us playing on a pubby with with these unseen maps, they will download it and be in like a shot. You could start by just adding the "classic" maps to the rotation and see how it goes.

BsP Muratti
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
thats what I was saying. the Waw server is never full cuz the other 2 server get all the players. They know our server from naval and new maps so why not just leave it on those maps all the time. if they see the server with a new map and some info where to download the files they will join.

94P|Pf peppervieze
04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Well then, make it so.

Note that St Fromond crashed when a axis entered the GMC 75MM(halftrack with superstructre that houses the sherman gun).

You probably want to find all references to waw content though.

[WaW]CA|Melvin
04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Aside from special events and Fridays, WaW servers hardly see any action. ...
Not quite right. We have a greater player turnout on Thursday's game, not Friday's. Although, with only one timezone area for Thursday (NA), we do have more play with Friday since it's both major timezone areas (EU and NA). The point of low server utilization over the week is a good one; currently, it's effectively a 3 out of 7 days server.

Note that St Fromond crashed when a axis entered the GMC 75MM(halftrack with superstructre that houses the sherman gun). ...

That's a good observation that illustrates one of the issues we have to deal with. I don't think a new guy would want to download 100's of MegaBytes of data, install the files, join the server, and then crash due to our map or mini-mod having a problem. So we want to have a stable set of custom maps. Also, we need to make sure people know that the WaW Mod does not interfere with their regular FH2 (or BF2) gaming. It just adds some files that only our custom maps use.

Anyway, I agree it is a great idea to have some of our custom maps active on the server. I would like to keep the Wolf Thursday and Pubbie Friday in the schedule as they are, but we could have another day or days to have WaW Map Day.

We need to pay attention to playability, so should select our maps carefully. Although, there is nothing stopping us from changing the rotation as we learn more about pubbie playability. I would like a good starting set of maps, though.

There are other considerations. For example, it was noted that some of the maps we had last weekend were nice but not for low numbers. Do we have to create 16 and 32 versions of these maps? I think we have enough in the WaW inventory that we may not need to create different map sizes. But maybe that's not so hard to do; I don't know.

Will maps in our inventory need update due to the latest WaW mod? I think probably not unless we want to add some of the newer WaW cool equipment.

Some people will still need to test this stuff, whether we add stuff or not. I don't like the idea of hauling in a bunch of new people who end up being exposed to map crashes/restarts and server crashes/restarts. We need to pay attention to that.

1AB|Pvt. xtune0
04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I know Melvin. And we don't need to create smaller versions of these maps, we will just pick the ones that suit this task. And I know exactly who to ask to help me make this possible.
The only thing that I needed to know if you guys agree with this, for the rest I'm assuming the whole responsability.

forgottenkevinohope
04-10-2012, 11:32 PM
awesome

[Deserted] AgentX
04-11-2012, 12:04 AM
And I know exactly who to ask to help me make this possible.

:wave:

[WaW]CA|Melvin
04-11-2012, 04:27 AM
I know Melvin. And we don't need to create smaller versions of these maps, we will just pick the ones that suit this task. And I know exactly who to ask to help me make this possible.
The only thing that I needed to know if you guys agree with this, for the rest I'm assuming the whole responsability.

Of course, we can have WaW FH2 custom maps on our server. It's not like we're trying to install a totally different mod. ;)

Since I've seen no objections to this good idea, (I would be surprised if there were any), we need to get to the sausage making part... that goes on in our Pub Admin forums. You are most welcome to be the point man, xtune. But I've started a post for the subject.

[WaW] LtnGeorge
04-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Just some other maps that came to mind (and could also be made into 32/16 player maps)

- Westwall, brilliant map and some of the town with the surroundings could be made into a 16 player map easily!
- Ranville, also a map with a large city which can make infantry fights really fun
-

0utlaw
04-11-2012, 07:40 AM
updated versions of some classics

http://bfewaw.com/maps/outlaw/maps/classics/

Koketsu
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
TA|Melvin;3209093']we need to get to the sausage making part...

Dunno why but this made me spit my tea all over my screen, what a strange turn of phrase :D

[WaW]CA|Melvin
04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah, it's a weird saying. I just did a little research and it appears the first published use of the concept was by an American lawyer and poet from the 1800's, John Godfrey Saxe I (June 2, 1816 – March 31, 1887). The quote was "Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made."

LtnGeorge, yes Westwall is a very nice one; and Ranville. As you probably know, WaW has over 100 custom maps; about 70% have been played in battles or scrims since we started playing FH2 in campaign 15. I think everyone would agree that not all those maps would be considered appropriate for this, but we've still got plenty to choose from.

BsP Muratti
04-11-2012, 07:57 PM
westwall is definitly a good 1. It will probably make people wonder what crazy mind put those tank barriers there,

[WaW] LtnGeorge
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I've played here for so long that I probably forgot a whole lot of maps that would be really nice for public play.
Would be nice if there would be a list somewhere where we could see what maps got played when in the tournament, just for the sentiment :)

Carrion
04-12-2012, 01:35 AM
I'm looking forward to this, hope it lands on a night I'm available!

BsP Muratti
04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
the idea is to have this on for most days besided the pubby thursday and friday so you will have a chance to play.

forgottenkevinohope
04-12-2012, 08:07 PM
also can be played on thursdays and fridays right ? :wha:

[WaW]CA|Melvin
04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
also can be played on thursdays and fridays right ? :wha:

Best to keep no special download requirements for the established Thursday and Friday pubbie nights. :listen:

This can always change, but we'll see how it goes before changing Thursday and Friday.

forgottenkevinohope
04-13-2012, 02:43 AM
yeah, prob. wouldn't be too long till all the normal thurs/fri crowd had the necessary files. the community is pretty small!

70L|Ma KTTDestroyer
04-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Hello :)

I would love this to happen, just like Pixel-Fighter community on FH1, it what keeps people playing. About the custom maps, well, i suggest something like this: Make a base map pack which will include WaW mini-mod.... However it might get complicated when mini-mod needs updates ;P well, maybe it is easier to just run maps that dont need WaW mod (need to make FH2 devs to atleast support custom maps minimally, like fixing Localization folder)

However, have in mind that maps for BF2 offers a lot possibilities to include custom objects without any mod, can just pack them in map, the size of maps would increase, but with some smaller modifications (replacing some WaW objects with standard FH2 where it doesint breaks the map) it can still have reasonable size i think :]

Ah, and i would like to make my map avalible for this idea aswell: http://bfewaw.com/showthread.php?t=290159&p=3210297

There is an major update coming for that map, think it will be ready in about 2-5 days depending on problem-solving :]

70L|Ma KTTDestroyer
05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Hello again, how is this going? Any progress? Any decisions? Cause my map is just ready if you want to use it for it go ahead, if not, not big deal, but i think you will enjoy it ;) (atm uploading the latest version, and will post it in link above in few minutes)

[WaW]CA|Melvin
05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
There has been an unfortunate delay in bringing this idea to you guys. Work in preparing it was diverted to other things. Also, there is an imminent FH2 patch with new content and impact upon our mini-mod and custom maps.

We will take a look at your map. Thanks.

70L|Ma KTTDestroyer
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Allright :] Please keep us informed on proceedings, cant wait to play some custom maps with loads of players, seems there is a lot of interest for it :auto:

And about my map, well, if you can inform me by PM here if you guys would like to put it into custom map pack or not would be great :]

For lazy people, here is link to the latest version and its change log (will be posting some screens aswell in next 30 minutes):http://bfewaw.com/showthread.php?t=290159&p=3211511&viewfull=1#post3211511

0utlaw
05-09-2012, 07:44 PM
please do not use any of the classic ports that i have done for the tournament. the public versions of these maps will not be the same as what is used currently for waw battles. instead, i will set those maps up more closely to the originals for public play events (equipment, push code etc). if you would like any of these for a special event or public mappack please contact me first, thanks.

70L|Ma KTTDestroyer
05-30-2012, 11:24 PM
So, whats up? Its been almost a month! ;P

[WaW]CA|Melvin
05-30-2012, 11:46 PM
So, whats up? Its been almost a month! ;P

Sorry, KTTDestroyer. One could have read my language from a couple posts above more directly: It was an epic fail. All the time had been diverted to making changes to our mod that we cannot use in the campaign. The #1 requirement to be compatible with our current mod was ignored, so I cancelled the work.

Hey, no worries. FH2.45 will be out any day, now. At least they are now advertising it during FH2 start up.

I hope you got something out of the comments on your map in your Warsaw Uprising thread. I am willing to host it on a practice server for a few people to check out together. Maybe you should get some of your Allied friends to help you test it out. Maybe sure you have some people and I will host it for a few hours.

70L|Ma KTTDestroyer
05-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Its okey, thanks for quick reply =) Let me get this straight...

"All the time had been diverted to making changes to our mod that we cannot use in the campaign. The #1 requirement to be compatible with our current mod was ignored, so I cancelled the work."

What do you mean by this sentence? (could you put it using diffrent words maybe? sorry English is not my first lang i guess)

And, i guess i will wait with the second question as it might be answered allready in sentence above =)

About practice server, sure sounds fun! =) We should decide a date and maybe hour 1 week before and i will try to gather as many people as possible. Give me few days to check how my plans look and i will send you a pm with few date/time propositions for you to consider =)

[WaW]CA|Melvin
05-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Currently, there is no project leader for the public custom maps. There is no estimated time for the start of any public custom map day.

For testing your map on the Allied practice server, I'll leave setting the time and day to you and your Division leadership. It's the Allies Practice server and I'm not going to do anything unless your General or someone like that say's it's OK. When you have a good time for you and your team, then PM me. This should not be a Public test. The map needs to be tested before we think of opening it to the public.

I suggest you make a post at the top level of your Division forum to get people to attend and see what is a good time and day for people. Maybe set a Wednesday for it; or maybe have it happen before or after one of your scheduled practices on Friday. Again, make the post to suggest a good day and time in your Allied Division forum, not in public.

[WaW]CA|Melvin
05-31-2012, 06:17 AM
This thread will re-open when the WaW Map Day gets resurrected.