PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Or Something Else

Vaughan
09-09-2007, 01:22 AM
So I have PCI Geforce FX 5200.Now my problem is my games crash.Now the facts are that my games run smoothly so I don't think it's my RAM or anything else but than after sometime it will randomly crash or in other cases the frame will freeze but your still moving around.I know this because you can hear stuff happening in game.So basically all my games crash expect for halo.So I wanted to know is this sound like a video card problem or something else the only other thing I can think of is my monitor.

Oh I add 500mb RAM and put in the video card last Christmas my comp worked for about 3-4months than I started crashing.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
09-09-2007, 01:36 AM
A|Pvt.Vaughan;273058']So I have PCI Geforce FX 5200.Now my problem is my games crash.Now the facts are that my games run smoothly so I don't think it's my RAM or anything else but than after sometime it will randomly crash or in other cases the frame will freeze but your still moving around.I know this because you can hear stuff happening in game.So basically all my games crash expect for halo.So I wanted to know is this sound like a video card problem or something else the only other thing I can think of is my monitor.

Oh I add 500mb RAM and put in the video card last Christmas my comp worked for about 3-4months than I started crashing.

Frames freezing and games crashing seems to happen when the graphicscard runs too hot. Or if you have overclocked it too much. Check that the fan is still running ok and all that. Is it only games that crash, and not other demanding programs?

Vaughan
09-09-2007, 02:04 AM
No just games I think I need a new fan anyways or clean this one at least.Oh and is there anyway to safely clean a fan you know I don't wanna go buy something unless I really have to.Also the wikipedia article on overclocking says this.

Two such discriminated "warning bells" are widely understood: green-flashing, random triangles appearing on the screen usually correspond to overheating problems on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) itself, while white, flashing dots appearing randomly (usually in groups) on the screen often mean that the card's RAM (memory) is overheating. It is common to run into one of those problems when overclocking graphics cards. Showing both symptoms at the same time usually means that the card is severely pushed beyond its heat/speed/voltage limits. If seen at normal speed, voltage and temperature, they may indicate faults with the card itself.

None of which has happened.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
09-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Okey, so you just have the crashing and freezing? No graphical glicthes at all? Well i've had it too on a GFX-card that i overclocked. I would check the fan. And to clean it, just remove it and clean out the dust. And if it's not spinning around easily. You should A) get a new fan (probably the best solution) or B) Carefully remove the sticker and add some grease (oil of some kind) in the middle part of the fan until it spins freely again.

Sauron
09-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Download and run MemTest for about an hour or two:
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

If it gives an error, your memory is broken.

Second, run a CPU stress test for about 3 hours and keep an eye on the temperatures, so keep that temperator sensor on the screen (Speedfan for example).

If you got a single core CPU: http://sp2004.fre3.com/

For dual core you need this: http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Post the maximum temperatures here.

Now if that all went without any errors or crashes you cpu and memory are probably fine. If you get a crash or error during, it's mostly cpu or memory related.

Suppose it goes fine, download 3dMark 2006 (http://www.futuremark.com/) and run it. If it crashes or gives an error than, it has to be your videocard.

Have fun:).

Vaughan
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah anyways it works now I was playing on wolf for about an hour and a half without crashing.

Nvm I cleaned of the fan and stuff and I did play for about an hour and a half but now It back to normal.Normal as in back to crashing.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
09-09-2007, 06:59 PM
A|Pvt.Vaughan;273219']Yeah anyways it works now I was playing on wolf for about an hour and a half without crashing.

Nvm I cleaned of the fan and stuff and I did play for about an hour and a half but now It back to normal.Normal as in back to crashing.

Was the fan not spinning freely?

Vaughan
09-09-2007, 07:19 PM
A lot of dust was stuck to it slowing it down and stuff.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
09-09-2007, 09:16 PM
A|JSgt.Vaughan;273306']A lot of dust was stuck to it slowing it down and stuff.

You might wanna get a new one.

Vaughan
09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah I have 2 fans I could only clean one and I couldn't get the other one out.

AB*Rct KullaN
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM
If you have access, use compressed air.

Vaughan
09-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah supposedly my mom uses some to clear her computer at work so she's bringing that home tomarrow.