PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen O' Death

[WaW]ValHallas
08-30-2007, 02:22 AM
With more and more frequency, I've been getting this message "IRQL_Less_Than _or_Equal" while playing. Goes to the blue screen with that message, and then I have to reboot. What does this "generally" mean, so I can track down the problem.

my system:
(note I use dual monitors.)

Manufacturer:
NVIDIA
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory:
1534MB RAM
Hard Drive:
120 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
C-Media USB Headphone Set
Speakers/Headphones:
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)

Orange
08-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Go in:

control panel/system/hardware/device manager

then click view/ressource by connection

then expand the IRQ thingee

Locate your video card and check if it shares its IRQ# with something else, the sound card for instance.

BigBlueCheese
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I was having this trouble before and I fixed it by upgrading my power supply to provide more power to my system.

V|Lt.Orange;270048']Go in:

control panel/system/hardware/device manager

then click view/ressource by connection

then expand the IRQ thingee

Locate your video card and check if it shares its IRQ# with something else, the sound card for instance.

But since I did have this problem and it did go away with upgrading my power supply, I wonder if that is at all related to the fact that my graphics driver and my JMicron RAID controller are both on the same number (16). Does this mean I wouldn't be able to run my HDDs in RAID and did my problem just randomly go away or did upgrading the power supply actually fix it?

Orange
08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure about anything really. I know I had that problem once and it fixed it.

BigBlueCheese
08-31-2007, 04:51 AM
Well, Hallas, to explore all possibilities, what is your power supply?

[WaW]ValHallas
08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
okay, I checked the control panel...

(PCI)19 Nvidia GeForce 6600
(PCI)19 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.

Does this mean that they are conflicted? Because other things in my device manager share the same numbers.

Power Supply is 480 watts btw.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
09-01-2007, 10:53 AM
A|Pvt.Hallas;270795']okay, I checked the control panel...

(PCI)19 Nvidia GeForce 6600
(PCI)19 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.

Does this mean that they are conflicted? Because other things in my device manager share the same numbers.

Power Supply is 480 watts btw.

It's supposed to work i think, but sometimes it can cause a problem. 480w should be more than enough, but i can still be unstable or similar, which can cause strange errors. Have you cleaned your computers inside? I had alot of bluescreens, then i vacuumed the whole thing and now it works fine again :)

[WaW]ValHallas
09-01-2007, 12:28 PM
yeah, i need to clean it out. I get lots of dirt devils and fuzzy bunnies inside. My case has like 5 extra fans in it. I Unplugged most of them as I don't have a whole ton of drives and cards running. My dad gave me the rig and he had it packed with stuff. So consequently I've got lots of holes for dust to get in.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
09-01-2007, 02:22 PM
A|Pvt.Hallas;270889']yeah, i need to clean it out. I get lots of dirt devils and fuzzy bunnies inside. My case has like 5 extra fans in it. I Unplugged most of them as I don't have a whole ton of drives and cards running. My dad gave me the rig and he had it packed with stuff. So consequently I've got lots of holes for dust to get in.

Yah, dust does alot. Also i always use the vaacumcleaner for cleaning, but that's not really recommended cause of all the static electricity. Using some sort of pressured air is always better.

zombie
09-01-2007, 02:43 PM
What brand/type of mother board are you running?

I have an NForce board and was getting this problem and it turned out to be the Network Manager (aka software firewall) that installs when you install the NForce mobo drivers...

If you do have a NForce board make sure that you are not using the drivers off the cd... go get the latest from the site and do not let it install that network manager crap... there is a popup window that specifically asks you if you want to install it.

You video card is probably ok sharing the irq with the firewire controller... mine is like BBC's it shares with the sata or raid controller or something like that and my system runs fine...

But dont just look at what your video card is sharing... look at your network card and soundcard as well...

Most people put their sound card in the slot closest to their video card... you should put your sound card in the very last slot... furthest away from everything, the slot closest to the edge of the board... since IRQs are bound to slots, putting it in the first one next to the video card usually makes it share with the network card...

BigBlueCheese
09-02-2007, 02:04 AM
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Try calculating your wattage requirements and make sure that you're alright, however if its an older computer, then its going to over-estimate, but if it's fairly new, then it will be accurate. Try to have an 80% buffer.

SugarBear
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Interesting. I was at a LAN this weekend and they had a power consumption contest. The winner used 570watts at peak consumption.

The setup:
Intel QX6700 (it was being overclocked with water cooling but I don't know the specs)
BFG 8800 Ultra x2 (SLi)
2 Gigs Ram
2 WD Raptor harddrives

Pretty friggin' intense system and the most that it could be made to consume was 570 watts. The link BBC posted claims that it should need 839 watts (w/o the overclocking). It seems that there is something fishy going on with all the 600, 800, 1000 watt power supplies being pushed. Check out how many manufactures have jumped into the power supply game on Newegg. I watched that system being tested and it was being pushed as hard as it could be pushed just to get to 570 watts.

Mine only used 213 watts peak...

BigBlueCheese
09-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I've never had mine measured, but the estimate it gives me seems pretty accurate. My system supposedly should take 490W at peak load and that's right about the 80% limit for a 600W power supply. When I had a 500W the system was quite instable and at 550W it was somewhat unstable.

Are there any free programs for monitoring your power usage yourself or do you have to use a meter between you and the outlet?

SugarBear
09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
^2Lt.BBCheese;271920']
Are there any free programs for monitoring your power usage yourself or do you have to use a meter between you and the outlet?

A meter was used at the LAN.

Trexer
09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised that Power Supplies use some special Watt so that is sounds like they ouput more power than they do.

SugarBear
09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
USG.Trexer;271928']I wouldn't be surprised that Power Supplies use some special Watt so that is sounds like they ouput more power than they do.

It is found in the "efficiency" rating. Still if that system I listed about used 570 watts *PEAK* then a 800watt PS at 80% efficiency would cover it. There are a flood of 1000watt-1300watt coming to the market right now. Talk about overkill!

Refaim
09-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Crazy thing electrical component ratings... Look at car stereo amlifiers for instance, cheap ones are rated at peak wattage while the good ones are rated RMS.

If the power consumption was measured from the wall plug as a true peak power consumption... then a power supply for that system should never have to be rated higher than that. My bet is the measured value was a peak RMS power or peak average power.

As i understand it, power supplies are rated based on output not input, a 400 Watt Peak RMS PS should require something like 480 Watts Peak RMS from the wall if it is 80% efficient. The real kicker is that the wattage is rated over all voltage outputs so you buy a larger rating than you need because of the useless power available at useless voltage.

I think i'll start a company that sells modular power supplies giving the end user the abillity to select exactly what power they want at what voltage they want. What they call modular these days means Fancy Plugs.