PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Vista!!

[46Z]H|Sze.>Luke<
08-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Right...ive just bought a new laptop today and it came with vista.....just tryed to play BF 1942 and FH and i get no crosshair scroll bars etc!! (im sure you have heard of this problem befor)

Can anyone help me? because it would bea BIG waste of money if i cant play this!!!

Luke

54Pv.Nostra
08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Ever heard of compatibility modes of vista...

Right click- properties - compatibility - then pick windows 98 and TADA, FH works like a charm (Apart from those weird white shadows (yea, instead of being black, shadows are white, but that's the only change))

There, I know you love me. <3

58F_Lc Ordos!
08-28-2007, 06:16 AM
A|Pvt.Nostra;269242']Ever heard of compatibility modes of vista...

Right click- properties - compatibility - then pick windows 98 and TADA, FH works like a charm (Apart from those weird white shadows (yea, instead of being black, shadows are white, but that's the only change))

There, I know you love me. <3

Nostra:

i had a clean install of both Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit

With both FH was a 50/50 on actually not crashing on load up. Most maps i could play for 5~~10 mintues, then its back to the desktop (crash) or on map change i get thrown out.

Yes all other drivers are Vista compatible

So i give up. Vista has won, its back on the shelf till FH2 (or microsoft expands compatibility)

-Ordos-

[Inactive]WED.hicks
08-28-2007, 06:38 AM
I've heard about various problems with Vista. Problems with BF and with Teamspeak. If you can run it without problems you seem to be lucky. Although.... white shadows? That sounds VERY annoying to me.

I recommend to stay clear of Vista until we go to BF2 (FH2).

Sauron
08-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Even stay clear with Vista when using BF2, even there it has given me a lot of problems. I finally managed to solve it, but decided to ditch it anyhow. I got Vista free of my university, but I won't use it for a while. It just does way to much stuff in the background I can't control. In WinXP you can at least disable what you want, Vista just takes care of everything. Now it's sweet you don't have to do much yourself, but I rather keep the possibility to manage and control what is going on on my system. Vista goes way to far for me. Many games, especially ones using PB gives problems. Most can be solved, but believe me, it took me days to get most things working and I just can't be asked to do so much work every time.

58F_Lc Ordos!
08-28-2007, 08:09 AM
A|Pvt.SaUrOn;269363']Even stay clear with Vista when using BF2, even there it has given me a lot of problems. I finally managed to solve it, but decided to ditch it anyhow. I got Vista free of my university, but I won't use it for a while. It just does way to much stuff in the background I can't control. In WinXP you can at least disable what you want, Vista just takes care of everything. Now it's sweet you don't have to do much yourself, but I rather keep the possibility to manage and control what is going on on my system. Vista goes way to far for me. Many games, especially ones using PB gives problems. Most can be solved, but believe me, it took me days to get most things working and I just can't be asked to do so much work every time.

I concur. I loved theaero eyecandy and the gadgets but it was pissing me off that i had to authorize every install, and some stuff just plainly crashed on me

luckily i got my copy for free from a system builder. And as far as directx 10 goes, it seems hacks for windows xp are just around the corner (officially) so its all good

-Ordos-

3B|Ct KSolo
08-28-2007, 08:20 AM
My friend had this issue; still having it actually. I know with the missing crosshairs and the scrollbars, if you have an Nvidia card, you need to get the updated driver that fixes that. I don't have a link, I just googled it. And though that fixed the crosshairs on BF1942, it never got FH working. Though, I set the compatibility to WinXP; maybe 98 will work, but that white shadow thing sounds annoying. Guess, I'll tell my friend and see.

Thawk
08-28-2007, 12:06 PM
I had alot of problems with vista and bf,cause me to drop out of the tournament,but ive fixed them all,what i did was uninstall all remenants of bf42 and FH.

Then i installed that brand new nvidia drivers and installed bf42 and put it on windows 98/ME compatibility not XP,played it then patched it.Also remember to make in "run as admin" on every posible level,everwhere there is a box for admin,tick it!

Then i downloaded FH and installed it and did the exact same as what i did with 42 and as an extra safe measure when ever you start it up, right click and start as an admin!just in case.

And ordos with vista you should disable the super protection thing that asks you every 5 seconds if your pc is aloud to do stuff,i disabled it and now my pc does everything my old xp used to do without the annoying "admin" allowance "pop up" boxes.I cant exactly remember how to do it,check on google.

But anyway so far my pc hasnt crashed or messed up once,the shadows are black as normal,no loading crashes either,so i guess i did something right.

-Thawk

58F_Lc Ordos!
08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Don't be surprised DEP is also involved

That has harmed me more than it has actually done any good (and its HW implemented on AMD/Cor2 anyway so why in Vista and mucking up our games?)

-Ordos-

Thawk
08-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Ye i think DEP is a nuisence!i disabled it in about 3 hours of starting up my pc and im very glad i did,has made everything much easier.

I really dont see the point of it for a private home computer,maybe for an actual administartor controloing several public computers,but as default i think it should be off.

54Pv.Nostra
08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Ordos {PIMP};269376']I concur. I loved theaero eyecandy and the gadgets but it was pissing me off that i had to authorize every install, and some stuff just plainly crashed on me

luckily i got my copy for free from a system builder. And as far as directx 10 goes, it seems hacks for windows xp are just around the corner (officially) so its all good

-Ordos-
The Authorize every install thingy is easily disable by a few clicks when you know how to do it.

And my vista has not caused me a single problem with my games lately. Playing with a few parameters might make yours work alot easier.

58F_Lc Ordos!
08-29-2007, 06:19 AM
A|Pvt.Nostra;269544']The Authorize every install thingy is easily disable by a few clicks when you know how to do it.

And my vista has not caused me a single problem with my games lately. Playing with a few parameters might make yours work alot easier.

Well as stated: I tried admin and compatibility mode and its very very unstable (well the game is at least)

54Pv.Nostra
08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Disabled user control security?

66S|Pv Ritter
09-13-2007, 02:28 AM
On a related matter, has anyone had problems getting vanilla BF1942 (unpatched because I don't have time to download it again, but I've got it somewhere) and without any expansion packs to load? When I try to load the game, the regular BF1942 splash thing pops up and then the screen goes black for a brief moment and then back to desktop. Are there any settings I should be looking at that might get it to load? I wanted to just install regular BF1942 and then put FH on it so I could play FH on a laptop while I'm down in Argentina (if they have high speed internet).

54Pv.Nostra
09-13-2007, 02:37 AM
you'll need the patches to play with us and full v of FH.

Then, for Vista, use the compatibility mode for FH and battlefield. ( I recommend windows 98, works like a charm)

Be sure to set it on Admin settings and disable user control security.

it'll work damn fine,