PDA

View Full Version : New comp or change everything?

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, recently my main computer has been acting weird. It has to warm up a while before the monitor shows anything else than its colourcheck. When it's all warmed up you have to press F1, when it usually gives you the choice to press delete to enter the setup, to start windows. After this it can just about freeze every second, if I'm lucky things are moving long enough for me to play one round of minesweeper before it freezes again.

If you want any hardwere specs you have to wait until tomorrow, it's to late for me to check that and I don't know it in my head.

But my brother (who lives out of town) said I A) change the processor and the motherboard, B) reinstall Windows (prolly won't work and especially not in it's mood right now), C) Live with it (Umm... no...) or D) Buy a new supercomputer wich will be able to tackle Crysis on maxed graphics. (My preferred)

My main worries are that I will never see my beloved music collection and such again, but I guess those can be saved by just taking the hard disks out (two sturdy ~110gigs, not C:).

Gj**** Cadyshack
08-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Hmm, does it give you a bunch of "beeps" instead of the normal 1 "beep"?

That means it's trying to tell you what is wrong (you'll have to find the language on the internets).

If not, then I guess you can go for the uber comp if you have the money.

Refaim
08-11-2007, 11:40 PM
hmmm could be something like a vidcard malfunction... got an extra card to throw in or an onboard?

I sugest this because of the long delay before the monitor picks up.... but other components my cause the same. I would start with the vid card especialy if you have an onboard option to quickly test. I might would try the ram next. Make sure all fans are working properly as well.

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Cadyshack;264547']Hmm, does it give you a bunch of "beeps" instead of the normal 1 "beep"?

That means it's trying to tell you what is wrong (you'll have to find the language on the internets).

If not, then I guess you can go for the uber comp if you have the money.

Only one time when I restarted it it started beeping like crazy and it said something about a BIOS error, the beeping freaked me out so I shut it off pretty quick...

The vidcard is the newest thing in it, a GeForce 6800, and I think the ram is the second newest, 3 years I think. The whole thing is pretty old...

Gj**** Cadyshack
08-12-2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Scroll down to find the beep codes. If you can catch those beeps again you'll find out what should be wrong.

One of my comps pulled one of these, too, it was turn on, beep like mad, but not show anything on the monitor. My dad showed be the beep codes, and the problem was found.

Enfield
08-12-2007, 02:39 PM
You'll probably have to look under AWARD BIOS.

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
But it did show something on the monitor, it was after the warm-up so I thought it would act "normal" and start loading windows.

And about the BIOS, I don't have any clue how to poke around with that, I don't even think I know what it is...

Enfield
08-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I won't do a whole freaking explanation of the word BIOS just to look smart like everyone else. If you don't know what it does.. don't touch it. Like I did. Touch too much.

I think your monitor is shot..

Jimmie_Ryan
08-13-2007, 01:28 AM
we bios ill go with enfield in the monitar being shot. If it has to warm up its the monitar. you say you have 2 pcs try the monitar from the other one.

deserter
08-13-2007, 03:04 AM
A shot monitor wouldn't cause the computer to freeze though. If I had to guess, I'd say your motherboard is dying on you. How is the airflow in your case? it might just be a simple case of overheating. If you have spare parts try swapping them in to see how it posts.

Also, how does it crash? does it just hard lock or does it blue screen on you? Try not to play around with the BIOS if at all possible, it usually ends poorly if you don't know what you're doing.

YkD Frodo[XXII]
08-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Well if you just tryto manually reset the BIOS on the motherboard its not completely difficult and if any settings got changed it will throw it all back to default... however it does sound like a monitor problem.... But your best bet instead of buying a "whole" new comp is to just build one....
Case: $20-40 (comes with PS)
Motherboard $50-200
Keep your video card
If you're hard drives are decent size just re-partition them and then reinstall windows
Processor: $70-300
Sound cards are dirt cheap can get a decent one between $10-20 really everything else that you would need you can just keep out of your old one i.e. ethernet card (unless u use onboard) cd/dvd drives etc...

Basically ur just gonna upgrade ur comps main components i.e motherboard, processor, case(just so you have the proper case to fit the MB)

If you are interested in doing this and are capable of doing it check out newegg.com and geeks.com i prefer geeks but too each their own

Oh yeah i would pry grab a new monitor too get an LCD if you do end up gettin a new one just b/c the life is much longer on them...

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think it's the monitor either as I can, with luck, come in and actually
do stuff for a minute or so without any appearant problems (until it freezes, hard lock, no blue screen).

And I'm never going to touch the BIOS, that stuff scares me.

The airflow is ok. 3 fans, 2 in the casing and the last on the MB, all working. It also has a hole where we had a DVD-reader shortly before it stopped working.
I'll try swapping monitors.

Monitor seems to be fine.

BsP Firelord
08-13-2007, 08:05 PM
If you got a BIOS error message then your mobo is dying or your BIOS is messed up. If you donīt know anything about the BIOS you need to get someone on your PC who knows what all the options are about. You have to check if all settings are still correct.
Also why do you need to press F1 to boot? What does it say when you donīt press anything at all?

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Also why do you need to press F1 to boot? What does it say when you donīt press anything at all?

It's this screen just when you've started and it tells you what the processor, masters, slaves, memory and whatnot feels like. Only that, instead of continuing by it self, it says at the bottom:
"CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU"
and under that gave the option:
"Press F1 to continue, press DEL to enter SETUP." The "press DEL" having been there forever. But the "Press F1" thing has been there a month or so, having no real problem with it.
I do believe that this can be "a", if not, "the" problem, but I'm ****ty with technical details and can't be trusted.

And if I don't press anything it freezes after 10sec or so.

Refaim
08-14-2007, 05:09 AM
oveheated CPU?

YkD Frodo[XXII]
08-14-2007, 06:31 AM
i would really say... if you have the money just get a new comp, save you alot of late nights and headaches... or u'll just waste your time for 3 weeks campaign will start and you'll have to order a new one then... lol really up to you

Paasky
08-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Pig;264986']It's this screen just when you've started and it tells you what the processor, masters, slaves, memory and whatnot feels like. Only that, instead of continuing by it self, it says at the bottom:
"CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU"
and under that gave the option:
"Press F1 to continue, press DEL to enter SETUP." The "press DEL" having been there forever. But the "Press F1" thing has been there a month or so, having no real problem with it.
I do believe that this can be "a", if not, "the" problem, but I'm ****ty with technical details and can't be trusted.

And if I don't press anything it freezes after 10sec or so.
I had that error! It's really easy to fix.
Just go to the BIOS screen, and revert to default settings. You can't f-up anything by doing that ;) Well, if you've overclocked your CPU then it'll reset it, but I doubt you've been doing anything of the sort.

Also, have you tried starting windows in safe mode, and see if it freezes then? Just keep tapping F5 after the bios screen has gone, and it'll give you options on how to start windows. Select Safe mode without networking, and play some minesweeper/hearts/solitaire/spider.

[Retired]JoaoRatao
08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
It could be the battery on your motherboard. If it is dead, you motherboard will load default values, and give that message from the start.

Normally they last about three to five years, depends. My 286 Schneider is 17years old and still has an original battery working.:)

If you have an extra motherboard, try swapping the lithium battery, or buy one. It is alot cheaper than buying a new computer. Besides if you really want a computer to run Crysis, wait for the game to come out to buy one.

BsP Firelord
08-14-2007, 05:30 PM
You said you got a BIOS error some time ago so I guess the BIOS got reseted to its default values. You PC isnīt running with the optimal settings now and your CPU seems to run at wrong speed. Check the CPU settings in the BIOS. If needed, correct them. This is what it looks like (if you have an Award BIOS):

http://deepthought.ena.si/logo/bios/award.png

Enter the Standard CMOS Features. You will find the CPU speed somewhere in there. Check if it is set to the correct value. If you are not sure what to do you can always exit the BIOS setup by "Exit Without Saving". Nothing can go wrong here.

Paasky
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Actually, BIOS default values doesn't mean that it'll make the CPU settings into something they shouldn't be. Otherwise you'd need to do a manual configure every time you attach a CPU into a mobo (which you don't need to do).

The problem with that error message is that through some weird reset or something, the BIOS has changed the CPU settings to something they shouldn't be. Reset to default will fix it.

Or something like that :P Atleast that's what made the message go away on our old PC, and I had that exact same error atleast 4 times during its lifetime.

BsP Firelord
08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
A PC should run with default settings, yes. But it will slow down because you are not using the optimal settings. Also the CPU might run alot slower because it is not detected correctly. And that is what I think is the problem here as Spotted mentioned the "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU".

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-14-2007, 10:32 PM
So, first thing to do; get someone to set the BIOS back to normal, cus I ain't touching the stuff.

And I tried that thing with pressing F5, it scared me for a while and then I restarted as normal. I had to leave after that but it didn't freeze when I was watching. I'll ask my parents tomorrow how it worked out (they turned it off while I was away:roll:)

Paasky
08-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Spiderpig, you can't break a computer these days without some serious warning signs bumping up. Unless it's an ancient (<2002) PC without all the fancy heat sensors, the worst case scenario is needing to reset BIOS and loosing all of your 1337h4xxorZ overclocking (which you aren't even trying to do).

Seriously, it's just Del>select 'Load Optimal Defaults'>Yes>Save & Exit.

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-15-2007, 10:01 AM
oh... ok...

It's a -01 but I guess I can do that.
And it's a Award BIOS if anyone was still wondering.

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-15-2007, 10:13 AM
It got me past the "Press F1" without having to take any notice of it, but it still freezes...

Refaim
08-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Something is borked i think... No error beeps still?? If not the question becomes what fails and produces no error beeps?

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I only had beeps once.
But, we've kinda figured out what to do, salvage the hardisks, monitor (maybe) and other random stuff and then just buy the rest. It's just as good.

Paasky
08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
= What I did with my X-mas 2001 PC ;)

And only cost me 400€ for a FH-at-all-maxed PC, as I bought everything 2nd hand, and saved atleast 300€.

Refaim
08-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Pig;265389']I only had beeps once.
But, we've kinda figured out what to do, salvage the hardisks, monitor (maybe) and other random stuff and then just buy the rest. It's just as good.

Mail me your scrap parts... i'll fix it :).

PKP/ Spotted Pig
08-16-2007, 09:32 PM
|Refaim;265600']Mail me your scrap parts... i'll fix it :).

Well, you can get the MB:******:

But seriously, thanks for the help everyone. Now my mothers company just have to choke up the money for it:p