PDA

View Full Version : Explorer.exe

FlyGuy45
05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Simply, Explorer.exe (The desktop one) won't stay open when I restart my PC.

66S|Pv Ritter
05-23-2007, 01:32 AM
That's pretty messed up since that's essentially responsible for the windows gui stuff in XP anyway. You try opening task manager with alt ctrl del and forcing it to run explorer? Under applications you go to New Task... and then type in "explorer" without quotes and hit OK. That's the manual way of doing it..lemme know if that works (it's by no means a permanent fix lol). So what you're saying is that you can't even see the start menu or icons or anything..just your background? Or are you meaning the windows explorer that you view your hard drive with? I'm assuming you mean the former.

FlyGuy45
05-23-2007, 01:37 AM
I see my background image thats it. Explorer will open...for like 10 secs...

66S|Pv Ritter
05-23-2007, 02:03 AM
In your task manager, do you notice any processes that look..suspect? Might have some kinda minor virus that just tries to tick you off by closing down explorer. I've never had this kind of behavior happen to me and I often run into stuff that almost no one else does for some reason. It just sounds fishy to me. If you've got your computer set up to automatically save system restore points, you might look under that and see if a restore point is saved for a time (hopefully recent) before you experienced the problem. I'm trying to remember if there's a safe mode in XP...haven't had to use it in so long. If there is, I remember holding down F8 before it got to the Windows loading screen would pull it up. Again, that was how it was done years ago. See if you can get it working right in safe mode. If you can, go to start, run and type in 'msconfig' and hit enter. You can check under the Startup tab and see if there is anything particularly strange in your boot list like stuff with lots of numbers and letters randomly scattered around..for example: Ob7wg39.exe or something like that. Those are usually bad. :P You might make a list of all the stuff running in your task manager processes while not in safe mode and search for it in google to determine if it should be running or not. Sometimes the people say that it's bad (or give it a bad rating) when it's supposed to be there so you might want to get second opinions. There are several sites that try to give advice on that kind of thing. Just type in the exe file's name and see what comes up.

FlyGuy45
05-23-2007, 02:15 AM
All done, was stupid spyware. I pwn hacked though. =D

The file was like Ipwnwindows...hahaha....
I did look for unusal stuff but was nothing there. Also, used Msconfig. Thanks for your help Ritter. :-)

http://school.discovery.com/clipart/images/thanks.gif

66S|Pv Ritter
05-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Glad I could help. :) I kinda figured it was some program running in the background that was just designed for the purpose of ticking you off. :P

Enfield
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
If you don't wanna mess up windows settings in MSconfig or other MS stuff, go here and download Hijackthis: www.merijn.org

FlyGuy45
05-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Dammit, its back and keeps opening WinAntiVirus with internet explorere and turn the bar-thingie on and off..

66S|Pv Ritter
05-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Well, what you need to do is find something that will fix it permanently after you temporarily disable it in msconfig or whatever. Lots of those virus thingies are set up so they automatically re-execute if you close them down in the task manager. That's their way of fighting for survival. Sometimes you can delete the exe file that is causing the problem (in safe mode or while the exe is shut down in your task manager..if it's still running, it won't let you delete it and that's why they program them to auto-restart after you close them sometimes). So anyway, back to the permanent fix, you might try searching Symantec (the guys who make Norton AV). They occasionally release stand-alone programs to remove certain viruses and those are free. I'm not familiar with your specific virus since I don't know what it's called at this point. Search for the name of the exe in google along with "removal" and see what comes up. Sometimes there is a list of instructions and sometimes there's a stand-alone executable that will do it for you.

70D|Sd TheRocketeer
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
try putting it in the grisoft AVG website and see if it comes up with something to fix it.
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/threat-info-virbase/us/crp/0

if not, google it and see what other people did.

BigBlueCheese
05-23-2007, 11:10 PM
www.eset.com

Their NOD32 sometimes catches spyware and for me works wonders :D Haven't had spyware or a virus for about three years now.

Jerry_03
05-24-2007, 01:45 PM
D|SKpr.FlyGuy45;244763']Dammit, its back and keeps opening WinAntiVirus with internet explorere and turn the bar-thingie on and off..

flyguy ive had that same virus before. i forgot exactly what i did to remove it but i remeber typing in the .exe file name (the one in msconfig) in google and i found a tool that removed that specific virus.

FlyGuy45
05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Virtumondo, I think it was. I just reformatted. =D

BigBlueCheese
05-25-2007, 10:36 PM
D|SKpr.FlyGuy45;245115']Virtumondo, I think it was. I just reformatted. =D

there are much easier ways...

FlyGuy45
05-26-2007, 12:25 AM
I figured out the cure, also no internet. I tried to burn it, FAILURE. I tried EVERYTHING, also, my PC needed a cleaning, so yeah. =D