PDA

View Full Version : My Soon To Be New Computer

3B|Ct KSolo
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
So, Im building a computer for myself finally. Im a first time builder, so Im having a friend help me.

Here are the specs so far of what Im going to get:
<O:p</O:p
:arrow: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775</ST1:p
:arrow: Asus P5N32-E SLI - LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i Motherboard
:arrow: nVidia 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (not sure of brand yet, my friend is getting me it for like half price)
:arrow: OCZ GameXStream ATX 12V 700 Watt Power Supply
:arrow: Lian Li PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case
:arrow: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
:arrow: Seagate 300 GB SATA/300 16MB Buffer Hard Drive (2 of them)
:arrow: Plextor 18x DVD+R DVD Burner ATAPI
:arrow: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 PCI Sound Card
:arrow: Altec Lansing 5 Watt 2.0 Tower Speaker (OEM)
:arrow: Samsung 940BX Black 19-inch 5ms 1000:1 Contrast DVI LCD Monitor w/Height Adjustments
:arrow: Sennheiser PC151 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Headset
:arrow: Logitech G5 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse
:arrow: Logitech Value 100 Black PS/2 Standard Keyboard OEM

Everything together should cost me around the $1500 mark. My bro, DevilDog, is also getting one, but his will be slightly cheaper because he can recycle some parts from his old computer.

So, what do you think? Is this a good setup? :-/

BsP Firelord
05-18-2007, 07:56 PM
What Im always wondering is: Why does everyone need an expensive Creative soundcard although most of them only use crappy desktop speakers?
If you connect your Dolby Digital HiFi Center to your computer then I can understand it. But with those cheap speakers you wont need an Audigy card.

Cyan Winters
05-18-2007, 07:57 PM
D|Sze.Firelord;243643']What Im always wondering is: Why does everyone need an expensive Creative soundcard although most of them only use crappy desktop speakers?
If you connect your Dolby Digital HiFi Center to your computer then I can understand it. But with those cheap speakers you wont need an Audigy card.

Well, compared to onboard sound they are much much better for game performance.

ADRIFTER
05-18-2007, 08:02 PM
looks like a nice setup there Ksolo :)

i'll be posting info and asking for suggestions on my new rig in a week or two........its not an uprgrade......i just need another really fast PC :D

58F_Lc Ordos!
05-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Comments:

Get an Enermax 600 watts liberty instead. 700 is overkill by a mile

Any reason for the XMS2? DDR2 works fine without heat spreader. Plus if you do not overclock your mem will run at 266 MHz (FSB of a 6600 is 267 * 9 = 2.4 GHz) If you can save cost aim for Pc5300. That runs at 333 max though i had mine stable at 356 and i used Twinmos

Also, why a Nforce chipset? a P965 (Asus p5b-e and up/Gigabyte now has better quality than Asus!) is more energy efficient and overclocks better and has a better RAID chipset (which is the ICH8R, NOT the ICH8)

With the money saved take an X-Fi xtreme Gamer

-Ordos-

BsP Firelord
05-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, compared to onboard sound they are much much better for game performance.

Performance wise you get a 1-5% improvement. Not that much IMO. And that is only if you use EAX.
There are very bad onboard soundchips available that might make an extra soundcard necessary. But the normal user will never hear the difference.

BigBlueCheese
05-19-2007, 02:38 AM
I went creative for the software. My onboard didn't have software anywhere close to what creative offered, and the creative software makes my speakers sound a lot better.

SugarBear
05-19-2007, 03:49 AM
Have to agree with Ordos on the mobo. The intel units have a much better I/O controller than the 680 boards come with.

As for the memory I disagree with him and approve of your choice ;)

You guys are going to have some mighty fine 'puters when all is said and done! :toast:

58F_Lc Ordos!
05-19-2007, 10:50 AM
//|SaltBadger;243746']Have to agree with Ordos on the mobo. The intel units have a much better I/O controller than the 680 boards come with.

As for the memory I disagree with him and approve of your choice ;)

You guys are going to have some mighty fine 'puters when all is said and done! :toast:

OI i am running my E6600 with an arctic cooler stable at 48 degrees celsius stressed (at 3 GHz)

:P so there Sugarbear!

-Ordos-

Enfield
05-19-2007, 11:01 AM
What!!? , your processor 45 degrees when playin gaaam..es?? impossible..

58F_Lc Ordos!
05-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Case temp ran up to 50~54 degrees whilst my CPU stayed a cool 45~48

and i am NOT joking

-Ordos-

Murds
05-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Swap the power supply for a corsair 620 or enermax
Swap the monitor to samsung 226BW 22 incher - 19 is too small
Swap the mother board to non nvidia chipset
Swap the RAM for cheaper sticks, crucial or gskill or geil.
Get a tuniq tower or similar cpu cooler

Jerry_03
05-19-2007, 12:27 PM
i have a Samsung 940BX Black 19-inch and i can say its very good. although id agree with murds on getting the samsung 226BW 22 inch instead because its bigger. if i had more money i would of gotten the it instead.

BigBlueCheese
05-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Going for the DDR2800 RAM isn't a bad idea. High-end processors are just starting to utilize the speed from it and you should get a little bit more bang out of the RAM. The improvement will only be a couple fps in games or maybe a few seconds with other apps, but it is the best stuff.

I for one didn't think Corsair made DDR2800 RAM without the heatspreader. As a matter of fact, I haven't really run into any DDR2800 RAM without a heatspreader unless it's by an off brand, but I haven't been shopping for RAM recently.

3B|Ct KSolo
05-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Okay, well I'm checking out the motherboards. But, read this article from tomshardware.com.

Nvidia's nForce 680i SLI is the best chipset for Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad systems, but only for real enthusiasts and hardcore gamers. The performance differences between the Intel chipsets and Nvidia's high-flyer are only noticeable if you're willing to spend a lot of money on premium components for your nForce 680i SLI platform; this will allow you to exploit its amazing overclocking features and use it to its full potential.

Others can save a lot of money by going after a more economic Intel P965 solution, unless you're interested in state-of the art features. In this case, the Nvidia chipset will also be the better choice, as it comes with some benefits compared to the 975X and P965. There are two feature-rich Gigabit Ethernet ports instead of a plain single interface; better PCI Express resources (true dual x16 PCIe graphics); an UltraATA/133 channel for optical drives or older hard drives (which Intel removed from ICH8 and the 965 family); and the fancy nTune overclocking software assistant.

nForce 680i's downside is its relatively high cost - this also applies to the 975X - and increased power consumption when compared to the Intel chipsets. Gamers with a fondness for either ATI or Nvidia have to make their choice based on dual graphics support: nForce 680i SLI is incapable of supporting an ATI Crossfire dual graphics setup, which requires an Intel 975X or an ATI chipset. Conversely, those won't support Nvidia's SLI.

Our recommendation is simple: Go with the nForce 680i SLI if you want the best platform for Core 2, or stick to the P965 if price/performance is your priority.
That article is in full here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/19/intel_or_nvidia/

So, isn't the nVidia 680i chipset better for me? I probably won't use the SLI dual graphics setup because if I'm going to buy a new card, I'd get the newest, more powerful card of the future, not the same card I presently have to use the SLI, though I'd still like the option just in case.

Regarding the monitor, I like the Samsung 22" widescreens, but do games and applications nowadays utilize the whole screen or do they put black borders on the sides so you only view 4:3 rather than 16:9? If black bars or windowed mode is the only way it comes, I think I'd rather go for a Samsung 20.1.

Also, I'd really like a 300 brightness, 1000:1 contrast screen. Is that overkill? What's the minimum for those that makes for a good gaming monitor? Also, what are good brands? Samsung? Planar? ViewSonic? Acer is bad, right?

Sorry for the long post. I have many questions and would like to pick these things now so I can have a computer ASAP and annoy you all on the pubby whenever I want... LOL. :D

BigBlueCheese
05-20-2007, 05:33 AM
For gaming, I believe one of the most important factors is the viewable angle. I can't remember the technical term, but if you get close to your flatscreen while playing video games, you may see part of the screen get dark.

BsP Firelord
05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Windows supports widescreen resolutions, so you can use all your applications in widescreen. Games have to support it. Here is a list of games that support widescreen resolutions:

http://www.widescreengamer.com/widescreen_games_database/

Choosing the right monitor for gamers isnt that easy.
As for the brightness and contrast: Most TFTs are way too bright anyway, so you need to reduce brightness to get a natural looking screen. Same goes for contrast.
Way more important for gaming is the response time of the monitor. The lower the value the faster the monitor can switch between different colors. This will result in less "smearing" while moving around fast ingame. You need at least 8 ms response time. 4 ms or even 2 ms is better but not really noticable.
Also every TFT will produce a blurred screen when you move to fast. So if you are a very sensitive person you might be disappointed. CRTs are better for gaming because they can handle fast changes on the screen way better than TFTs.
The negative side of those low response TFTs is that they all use a so called TN panel technology. This results in a very small viewing angle (see BBCs post) and only 16 Bit color resolution per pixel. If you want to do image editing on a professional level a TN panel is the wrong desicion because they just cannot display as many colors as other panels. If you only want to game TN panels are OK.

So choosing a new monitor depends on what you want to do with it and what negetive sides you are willing to tolerate.

{end of my longest WAW post ever}

58F_Lc Ordos!
05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
G*|Por.KSolo;243910']Okay, well I'm checking out the motherboards. But, read this article from tomshardware.com.

That article is in full here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/19/intel_or_nvidia/

So, isn't the nVidia 680i chipset better for me? I probably won't use the SLI dual graphics setup because if I'm going to buy a new card, I'd get the newest, more powerful card of the future, not the same card I presently have to use the SLI, though I'd still like the option just in case.

Regarding the monitor, I like the Samsung 22" widescreens, but do games and applications nowadays utilize the whole screen or do they put black borders on the sides so you only view 4:3 rather than 16:9? If black bars or windowed mode is the only way it comes, I think I'd rather go for a Samsung 20.1.

Also, I'd really like a 300 brightness, 1000:1 contrast screen. Is that overkill? What's the minimum for those that makes for a good gaming monitor? Also, what are good brands? Samsung? Planar? ViewSonic? Acer is bad, right?

Sorry for the long post. I have many questions and would like to pick these things now so I can have a computer ASAP and annoy you all on the pubby whenever I want... LOL. :D

I know this article from Toms

I am an avid Toms reader in fact. But the point of the matter is as follows (and your quote speaks for itself):

Does an optical drive utilise full AtA133 capabilities? Not one i have seen

How many ethernet connections DO you need for your gaming? (proper answer is one)

Do you use an X6800? No? then you won't notice the difference

You already mentioned you won't use SLI

Overclocking is equal, in fact the P965 seems to be easier

RAID is FAR FAR easier on the intel set (Toms passed this by also in a different article), and its faster in that respect

I weighed in the same options and nerfed the 680(650) for those same arguments. Its performance imho does NOT constitute the higher energy demand nor the price as compared to the P965

-Ordos-

3B|Ct KSolo
05-24-2007, 03:49 AM
Okay, so I these are the components I want to get for this build. I went with the motherboard with the Intel P965 Express North Bridge and the Intel ICH8R South Bridge for efficiency reasons as you all stated. Plus, I went with the 22 widescreen monitor choice.
<o></o>
What do you guys think? BTW, thanks for all the great input its sure helping this first-time builder.<o></o>
<o></o>
Here are the specs:<o></o>
<o></o>

:arrow: LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811112099)<o></o>
:arrow: ASUS Commando LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131149)<o></o>
:arrow: <input name="ITEM.17-341-002" value="1" type="hidden">OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817341002)<o></o><o></o>
:arrow: <input name="ITEM.19-115-003" value="1" type="hidden">I (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115003)ntel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115003)<o></o><o></o>
:arrow: <input name="ITEM.20-145-034" value="1" type="hidden">CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145034)
:arrow: <input name="ITEM.20-145-034" value="1" type="hidden">nVidia 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
:arrow: Seagate 300 GB SATA/300 16MB Buffer Hard Drive (2 of them)
:arrow: Logitech Value 100 Black PS/2 Standard Keyboard - OEM (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16823126015)<o></o><o></o>
:arrow: ViewSonic Optiquest Series Q22wb Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16824116076)<o></o><o></o>
:arrow: SENNHEISER PC151 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Headset - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16826106157)<o></o><o></o>
:arrow: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16829102002)<o></o><o></o>
:arrow: <input name="ITEM.23-126-015" value="1" type="hidden"> <input name="ITEM.26-106-157" value="1" type="hidden"> <input name="ITEM.29-102-002" value="1" type="hidden"> <input name="ITEM.36-113-169" value="1" type="hidden">ALTEC LANSING ACS22BW 5 watts 2.0 Tower Speaker - OEM (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16836113169)

H62|Pv Devildog
05-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Ah, yes, my work is done. Please order 2 of the same for me... wow, that was hard work... oh, just make my case the Aluminum finish...

Boy, researching computers are hard.... oh, now can you screw everything together for me too KSolo?

Thanks for everyone's input BTW!

58F_Lc Ordos!
05-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Err Ksolo don't hate me but i would still advise the gigabyte versions (DS3p, DS4, DQ6) over any asus type (also due to solid capacitors)

And your PSU is still a bit too heavy for QUITE some time to come ;)

Oh and don't forget: Add an arctic cooler (freezer 7 pro), cause the intel stock cooler grates the ears.

-Ordos-

Murds
05-24-2007, 02:20 PM
The commando is a touch expensive - go for the cheaper asus or ds3p like ordos suggests.
Power supply is overkill - get a corsair 520 or antec
Get the samsung 22" - I hear they are the best

BigBlueCheese
05-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Asus will probably work fine for you. These days, mobos are so comparatively close to each other that you want to look at the arrangement and any bundled stuff for which mobo you should get.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
05-29-2007, 03:03 PM
W00000000T!!!! KSOLO AND DEViLDOG IN GAME AT THE SAME TIME:slave:. Finally guys! Grenadiers will kick a** even more now.

And for the setup, looks great, i would go for murds last changes though.

3B|Ct KSolo
05-31-2007, 05:21 AM
LOL... thanks, Stubbfan. The suspense and anticipation of building this thing is killing me. I'm just waiting for my friend to get me the 8800 GTX graphics card and I'll be set to finish. He knows someone who could get me it for around half price, so I'm playing the patience game.

BUT, IT'S KILLING ME... like Christmas when you're a kid, but worse because you don't know how many days Christmas will come in!!! :mad: