PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking?

[47Sgb]A|Pvt.CitizenSolgr
04-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I want to overclock my processor, and what ever else I can. My friend tells me you can overclock any modern day processor(not ancient i mean). When I go to the BIOS it doesn't have the setting menue for overclocking on my processor. It has like "Hyper-Threading" or something but no over clocking options or amything to boost the speed of anything. Anyone know how I can overclock, Is it that my Processor can't be overclocked? And also can you overclock your RAM and Graphics card, I've heard you can but don't know how. Geniuses, HELP!!

ProcessorType: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz 3.19Ghz
Graphics: NVidia Geforce 7600GT.

[Retired]Adder
04-06-2007, 04:39 PM
What motherboard do you have? That determines 99% of your overclocking options right there. If it's a Dell/Gateway or anything else mainline OEM, chances are they are using a custom board with the overclock versions removed.

You can overclock your GPU(Depends on the GPU if it's acutally useful), you can overclock your memory(Rarely useless unless combined with a CPU overclock)

However most modern CPU's are running hot enough at is, if you don't have something better than stock cooling on there, I would not recommend overclocking. Doubly so if your running around with a Dell or Gateway or Hp "Stock=just good enough" cooling. Do it wrong and you'll fry your board and your chip.

I can go on about voltage's, memory timings, interrupts, and watercooling, but without the motherboard model I can't give much in the way of advice.

3B|Ct KSolo
04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Unless you know exactly what you're doing or can get a friend who can do it for you while you watch, I wouldn't mess with overclocking. I heard some scary stories of frying the darn thing and then you'd have to get a new motherboard, processor, and anything else that got jolted.

[WaW] m1
04-22-2007, 06:10 PM
ive seen smoke rise from a (my) computer before, nice.

overclocking is not for the weak of heart and wallet.

L|52Cpl.Phille
04-22-2007, 08:28 PM
D|PPor.Adder;226647']What motherboard do you have? That determines 99% of your overclocking options right there. If it's a Dell/Gateway or anything else mainline OEM, chances are they are using a custom board with the overclock versions removed.
You can flash your BIOS with a version that does not have those options removed, but flashing a BIOS on a DELL can be a hell. :D

Even if you buy a better fan for the CPU, the chassi that DELL, COMPAQ and all those things use have a very bad air-flow, and you can not add any more fans to the chassi.

Of course it is not just the motherboard we need some information about... P4 3.19Ghz does not explain much! Is it a Northwood, Prescott, Gallatin? You need to know the voltage, multiplier and FSB on the CPU. Also, what mem. do you have, the FSB on those and so on. Just like adder said "without the motherboard model I can't give much in the way of advice". Speaking of the RAM... If you don't overclock your CPU, there is no point in overclocking the RAM since they won't be able to communicate faster than the CPUs FSB. And if you overclock the CPU but not the RAM, well basically the same thing... It will just make your system very unstable.

It's up to your really if you want to do it, but I would not recommend it.
If you download Everest Home Edition (google it), or even better, CPUz, you'll see all those things Adder and I asked for.

[48AD]sze.Alex
04-22-2007, 11:40 PM
=|m1;234980']ive seen smoke rise from a (my) computer before, nice.

overclocking is not for the weak of heart and wallet.

Ever see your pc engulphed in flame? (Litteraly on fire)

[WaW] m1
04-23-2007, 12:10 AM
G|Sze.Alex;235131']Ever see your pc engulphed in flame? (Litteraly on fire)

nope, not much to catch on fire in there I would suppose

BigBlueCheese
04-23-2007, 07:14 AM
One of my old graphics cards actually did catch fire while I was overclocking it... luckilly I could very easily get a new one for not too expensive. And it wasn't exactly fire, but a chip produced a very bright, orange light and proceeded to melt :p

[48AD]sze.Alex
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
My pc did catch fire, I guess thats what you get for having it on a wooden desk. (wich also caught fire)

BigBlueCheese
04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
G|Sze.Alex;235480']My pc did catch fire, I guess thats what you get for having it on a wooden desk. (wich also caught fire)

:rofl: sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but damn.... oh well. Every misfortune is a chance to learn.

70L|Bg Mr. T
04-24-2007, 04:56 AM
G|Kpt.BigBlueCheese;235554']:rofl: sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but damn.... oh well. Every misfortune is a chance to learn.
I nearly choked on my yogurt at that. Flaming PC+Wooden Desk=Burn.
And with that, I'd like to introduce one of my favorite words: Schadenfreude. Definition from Wikipedia: "Schadenfreude is a German word meaning 'pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune.' It is sometimes used as loanword in English and other languages. It derives from Schaden (damage, harm) and Freude (joy).
Yep, I'm a insensitive *******. Ah well, if we all didn't enjoy other's misery, where would America's Funniest Home Videos and Jack*** be?

Chico
04-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Check out the folks at ocforums or hardocp or xtremesystems those were the places that I found through the goog when I was first learning to overclock.

GL