PDA

View Full Version : New RAM

Toolshed
03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey guys. I just got a new gig of RAM and I plugged it in. However, when I right click my computer, it still says I only have a gig. What could be causing this?

[SEB]Kharabakh
03-06-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm a bit rusty on this, and I know someone will be able to explain it better.
However, maybe a) You didn't plug it in right (not really in the slot) or b) Your motherboard needs paired memory (highly doubt it).

Khar

BigBlueCheese
03-07-2007, 03:15 AM
How many RAM slots do you have Toolshed? And do you know your motherboard?

L|52Cpl.Phille
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
There may be several things that can be wrong.

First of all, your motherboard maybe only supports 1 Gb. of RAM, but if so, your computer must be very old. We're talking about a computer that is over 6-7 years.

What technique is the RAM your bought using? Is it an DDR 2 maybe? DDR 2 is a quite new thing (about 2-3 years). That means that if you're using a motherboard that is older than 2-3 years, it may not support the type of RAM you're using.

Of course, the chanse that you just haven't plugged the RAM in correctly also exists. Make sure that both spikes are down.

When you boot your computer, enter the BIOS and then go to memory. If it says that you don't have a **** in the slot you have plugged the RAM into, you hav not plugged it incorrectly. If it finds the cards, and you can see the name of it in the BIOS, but Windows still says that you only got 1 gig of RAM, the chanse that your motherboard doesn't support that type of RAM of various reasons is big.

If you want, you can just post what motherboard you're using and what RAM you bought here and I'll check what's wrong for you.

[46Z]H|Kpr.JAMerica
03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah, do what Phille says and make sure it's pushed all the way in. Sometime you have to push hard (yet gently) to get the DIMMS to seat properly.

DDR2 is not backwards compatible with DDR, so if this is the issue, it won't even fit into the slot.

If this is not the case, try updating your bios to the latest possible version.

And finally, did you try removing the old RAM and inserting just the new stuff to see what happens?

Anyways, post your motherboard make and model as well as the RAM and we'll get this solved.

Toolshed
03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok. Here's the dealio.

I finally found my motherboard manual last night before I went to work and while reading it, I discovered that if I want to fill all three of my memory expansion slots, that they need to be PC3200. However, if you have PC2700 memory, you can only fill the 1st and 3rd or the 2nd and 3rds slots at the same time. Well, guess what: my old and new RAM is PC2700. So, I figured I'd cut my losses and put the new 1GB stick and one of the old 512s in the 1st and 3rd. Well, it still read as having only 1GB. Then I tried every combo of the 1GB and one of the 512s in the 1st and 3rd and 2nd and 3rd slot: still one GB (sometimes 512 strangely enough...).
Then, reading the manual more, it's says that each slot can support up to 1GB, but I still haven't found anywhere in the manual where it says how much in total it can support. However, after my trial and error last night, I've come to believe that it can only support 1GB (even though the motherboard is only two years old).

Here are the specs for all interested:

MoBo: Chaintech SKT600 Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT600 ATX AMD Motherboard
Old memory: CORSAIR 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
New memory: CORSAIR 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Registered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Server Memory

I think I've guessed right about what's wrong, but until I find in my MoBo manual where it says that I can only support 1GB or RAM, I would love to hear what you guys think too.

[46Z]H|Kpr.JAMerica
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
G|Asp.Toolshed;215396']Ok. Here's the dealio.

I finally found my motherboard manual last night before I went to work and while reading it, I discovered that if I want to fill all three of my memory expansion slots, that they need to be PC3200. However, if you have PC2700 memory, you can only fill the 1st and 3rd or the 2nd and 3rds slots at the same time. Well, guess what: my old and new RAM is PC2700. So, I figured I'd cut my losses and put the new 1GB stick and one of the old 512s in the 1st and 3rd. Well, it still read as having only 1GB. Then I tried every combo of the 1GB and one of the 512s in the 1st and 3rd and 2nd and 3rd slot: still one GB (sometimes 512 strangely enough...).
Then, reading the manual more, it's says that each slot can support up to 1GB, but I still haven't found anywhere in the manual where it says how much in total it can support. However, after my trial and error last night, I've come to believe that it can only support 1GB (even though the motherboard is only two years old).

Here are the specs for all interested:

MoBo: Chaintech SKT600 Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT600 ATX AMD Motherboard
Old memory: CORSAIR 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
New memory: CORSAIR 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Registered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Server Memory

I think I've guessed right about what's wrong, but until I find in my MoBo manual where it says that I can only support 1GB or RAM, I would love to hear what you guys think too.

The chaintech website has a FAQ:

http://www.chaintechusa.com/eng/a31_faq.php?&page=2

The also have updated chipset drivers for Jan 2007. I can't seem to find any bios updates.

Can you turn off dual channel in the bios for the memory?

BsP Firelord
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Don´t mix ECC RAM with non-ECC ones.
Your mainboard will most likely not even support ECC. For a normal desktop PC it is also quite useless. ECC is for servers only.
Send the new stick back and get one unbuffered non-ECC.

Another problem might be that if you want to use three modules you can get compatibility issues. It is way more difficult for the memory controller to handle three modules than only two. I don´t know how sensitive the VIA KT600 chipset is but the safest way would be to get two identical RAM modules (2x1 GB) and sell the two old ones.

Update: The VIA KT600 can handle ECC RAM but it is still useless for a normal PC. What gives you the troubles is probably the "registered" feature of the RAM.

[46Z]H|Kpr.JAMerica
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
///|Firelord;215405']Donīt mix ECC RAM with non-ECC ones.
Your mainboard will most likely not even support ECC. For a normal desktop PC it is also quite useless. ECC is for servers only.

Good eye Firelord.

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Yep ECC is the problem, sell it on ebay and get another one :)

Toolshed
03-07-2007, 08:26 PM
///|Firelord;215405']Donīt mix ECC RAM with non-ECC ones.

Another problem might be that if you want to use three modules you can get compatibility issues. It is way more difficult for the memory controller to handle three modules than only two. I donīt know how sensitive the VIA KT600 chipset is but the safest way would be to get two identical RAM modules (2x1 GB) and sell the two old ones.

Update: The VIA KT600 can handle ECC RAM but it is still useless for a normal PC. What gives you the troubles is probably the "registered" feature of the RAM.

Sadly, I think that's the best outcome at this point. Why is this always such a headache for me? I love computers so much, but they never love me back...:sadpanda:

BsP Firelord
03-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Buying the right RAM is allways difficult. Most problems with PC are based on compatibility problems with RAM. I bought myself 1 GB half a year ago but it wouldnīt work together with my two old modules. So now I can only use one of the old ones and have 1.5 GB RAM. Had to throw out one of the 512 MB modules. But 1.5 GB is still enough for BF2 and other new games, so thats not a big problem.

Toolshed
03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Could you send me a link of some unbuffered non-ECC. I'm not familiar with that term.

BsP Firelord
03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I´m not from the US so I don´t know where u can get your hardware but as far as I know Newegg is quite popular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Order=PRICE&SrchInDesc=2GB&Page=1&Category=17&Nty=1&N=2010170147+1052407862&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=147

All of these modules should run on your mainboard but I would go with one of the good brands like Corsair, Kingston or OCZ. Depends on how much you want to spend. Faster (lower) timings are to be prefered but are more expensive.

This sounds to be a good deal as long as you don´t want to overclock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231047

Also don´t know how much money u got. You could get a 1 GB module and try your luck with your old ones. Might work, or not...

BigBlueCheese
03-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Look for the PDF of your motherboard manual and see if it has a list of "approved" RAM models. I hit the brand-name snag when purchasing my RAM and it turned out that despite the RAM being identical in every single way, my motherboard only liked Corsair memory instead of Patriot memory.

Corsair also has a nice feature (if you've decided to buy from them) where you can tell it your motherboard and then it will tell you what RAM it sells that is compatible with your mobo.

Toolshed
03-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah. I use newegg too.

And BBC, I bougt the same RAM (brand and everything) as last time. That kind of ended up being what the problem was (what with it all being PC2700 and all).

Toolshed
03-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Well, just got the return code approval from newegg, so I'm good for that part.

Thanks to everyone. I might post so more stuff up soon if I look into buyin some new RAM soon, but I think I'm going to wait for the summer and just overhaul the whole computer (new MoBo, processor, more RAM, new hardrive)

BigBlueCheese
03-08-2007, 04:34 AM
G|Asp.Toolshed;215537']Yeah. I use newegg too.

And BBC, I bougt the same RAM (brand and everything) as last time. That kind of ended up being what the problem was (what with it all being PC2700 and all).

Just be careful with other brands is what I'm saying ;)

Toolshed
03-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Gotcha :thumbsup: