PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs DSL

[46Z]H|Kpr.JAMerica
03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
I have had cable for the last 4 years, but my provider is a ******, so my only alternative is to go for DSL.

Both have the same 5MB/800K d/u speeds.

Any thoughts/horror stories?

BsP Firelord
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with DSL. It always depends on the provider.
If you give us the name then someone maybe can post his experiences with that provider.

Overdriven
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
I have DSL and here in England it's a *****.I live in a small village and the connection comes through a big router thing in the village.This means during peak times on weekdays it gets majorly choked up and my connection sucks and drops out all the time.We've tried switching providers but because it's nothing to do with them it can't be helped.Doesn't happen with cable here.

BsP Firelord
03-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Blame your little unimportant village for not providing enough customers for the local telephone company :P If you live at the end of the world you will never get internet as fast as in the cities. It is just not worth the trouble for the providers.

But it also depends on the country you live in as it seems. Here in Germany about 95% can get DSL and most german internet users have DSL. In other countrys cable seems to be more interesting.

[46Z]H|Kpr.JAMerica
03-06-2007, 08:08 PM
The DSL I'm looking at is TekSavvy here in Southern Ontario. The seem to have very high praise at dslreports.com and they do not have any bandwidth/traffic restrictions.

I'm basically quite choked at my cable provider, as they have started throttleing certain traffic, which I just don't tolerate considering they already put a cap on the amount of traffic.

I must say, I've never had any outages with cable and I don't know how this works with DSL, as I believe you have to log into the service.

Anyways, thanks for the input thus far.

Overdriven
03-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Lol i live only 45mins away from London and 10mins away from a small city.Thats hardly out of the way!

FlyGuy45
03-06-2007, 09:01 PM
DSL?*chokes on food*
NEVER WILL I GO BACK WITH VERIZON. Why? You touch the router, unplug it and the internet fails to work! Crappy costumer service, it failed at life.

BigBlueCheese
03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Watch the distance to the telephone company headquarters. If you're within two miles, then you should get good speeds, but any farther than that and you won't be getting the same connection as what's advertised. I had DSL at about 3-4 miles from the HQ and I couldn't get over 25KB/s (200Kb/s)... hardly faster than ISDN.

If you can, talk to your neighbors or see if you can get a trial of the service to see how fast it actually is going to be.

Paasky
03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
And no, DSL doesn't have to be 'logged into'. Plug the router/modem box thingy into the telephone line, then a LAN cable to your PC, and it works.

Atleast it should...

Buzz Adams
03-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Jam...I had AT&T DSL for the longest time. The cable provider in my area came up with a FULL Package deal which included phone, cable, AND Internet or I would probably still be enjoying DSL. I LOVED It. I think DSL is actually better in a lot of ways.

MAJOR QUESTIONS: What company are you going with, and do they have different speed choices?

I had the fastest connection I could get with DSL and had no issues.

[46Z]H|Kpr.JAMerica
03-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I had DSL way back and liked it. Unfortunately, I found out that I can't get a dry-loop DSL connection here, so I'm stuck with cable for the time being :(