PDA

View Full Version : My DSL is fudged up, anyone have any ideas?

Ra|^^ Jester
02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
ok so I just got my new PC along with my new (faster) DSL connection. I currently have my DSL modem/router hooked up in my dining room as thats the only place with a phone line (old house) I have 3 High speed wireless USB adapters plugged into my 3 networked PCs. The problem is that whenever someone picks up the phone my wireless network quits. I know its not the DSL stopping, because the router shows communication, but my PCs all lose connection. We were told by the DSL company to put filters on all phoneline devices, we thought we had them all filtered though, is this the only solution, or is there another one?

BigBlueCheese
02-04-2007, 09:57 PM
DSL filters are placed on phone lines so that none of the low-frequency phone conversations produce high frequency noise that interferes with DSL.

However, I would imagine that the problem is with the wireless. My friend had a problem with his wireless internet where everytime the microwave was in use, his internet would stop working. His solution was to move his computer farther from the microwave. Move/remove the phones nearest your wireless hub or computers if they are cordless. If they aren't cordless, then you should be fine.

If you can, change the frequency that the wireless operates at, but I don't think that's an option.

RN_Max
02-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Check again to make sure all your DSL filters are fitted and working.
If you have more than one filter, try eliminating them by substitution.

As BBC has already suggested, it would be a good idea to check whatever other wireless equipment you have.

With most routers and cards, you can change the preset channel they operate on, often from a selection of 11 channels, but I haven't yet seen one that changes the frequency directly.

Most current consumer equipment operates in the 2.4 GHz band, which in the UK is unregulated, hence the gaggle of kit that uses it.

My cordless phones don't seem to interfere directly with my WLAN even in close proximity, but both my neighbours' routers do occasionally interfere when I am a long way from my own router.

Have any of your neighbours got wireless routers?

BigBlueCheese
02-05-2007, 02:45 AM
D#|Szt.RN_Max;204482'] With most routers and cards, you can change the preset channel they operate on, often from a selection of 11 channels, but I haven't yet seen one that changes the frequency directly.

Yeah, do that. Not frequency. Most phones in the US opperate on 900MHz though, but who knows... that could be producing weird harmonics that are in the 1200MHz range

zombie
02-05-2007, 02:56 AM
its the filters... its always the filters.

especially if you dont bother to use them thinking they are insignificant. ;)

Refaim
02-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I know tons of phones are 2.4 Ghz. It very well could be causing the problem. Easy to check though... Get an old corded phone, plug it in and see if it interferes. If it does, then its your filters, if it doesn't.... may very well be your cordless phone.

As for the channels thing... that is changing frequency..

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TH align=middle rowSpan=2>Channel Identifier </TH><TH align=middle rowSpan=2>Frequency
(in MHz)
</TH><TH colSpan=4>Regulatory Domains</TH></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TH align=middle>
Americas (-A)
</TH><TH align=middle>
EMEA (-E)
</TH><TH align=middle>
Japan (-J)
</TH><TH align=middle>Rest of World (-W) </TH></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>

</TD><TD>2412

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>2

</TD><TD>2417

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>3

</TD><TD>2422

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>4

</TD><TD>2427

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>5

</TD><TD>2432

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>6

</TD><TD>2437

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>7

</TD><TD>2442

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>8

</TD><TD>2447

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>9

</TD><TD>2452

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>10

</TD><TD>2457

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>11

</TD><TD>2462

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>12

</TD><TD>2467

</TD><TD>-

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>13

</TD><TD>2472

</TD><TD>-

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>X

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left bgColor=white><TD>14

</TD><TD>2484

</TD><TD>-

</TD><TD>-

</TD><TD>X

</TD><TD>-

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

IF it turns out to be your phone... look up information from the phone manufacturer as to what frequencies it operates on (most likely switches within a band on every pickup/hangup to prevent intrusion) and see if you can use a 802.11b/g frequency that isn't in that band. EDIT: seems this info is a little hard to get...i did find one company that stated 2400-2483.5 MHz as their band.... so you may be out of luck in that respect... looks like it covers the entire band.

Other options ??? Break down and run wires... WIRED NETWORKS FOREVER!!!! VIVA LA RESEAU DE CABLE !!!

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
02-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I would connect my computer directly to the DSL modem just to be a 100% sure that it isn't the DSL line that goes down.

Ra|^^ Jester
02-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, we got a new phone (for reasons completely unrelated), and now it seems to work, so yea, must have been the frequency or something. Both are cordless, however this one is a different manufacturer so that might be what did it.