PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new mobo and processor?

54Pv.Nostra
12-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I am currently looking to buy a new mobo and a new processor to replace my old ones (getting tired of that p4 2ghz).

Restrictions :
-about $600 CAD (big maximum) (canadian money) max for both.

-Mobo has to have an AGP slot (don't wanna buy a new video card) Preferably, I'd like to have both PCI-e and AGP slots.

Thank you in advance

[46Z]H|Plut.JesusJackson
12-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Well the amount of mobos for anything newer that has both PCIe and AGP is pretty low. There aren't any Intel compatible boards that support the C2D that have AGP and PCIe that I know of, but there should be a couple cheaper AMD skt 939 boards that have both slots. I would warn you that the boards aren't from the highest quality manufacturer, ECS in this particular case. That and a dual core A64 X2 3800+ would probably end up somwhere in the $200-250 USD range.

Personally I would recommend getting a newer video card and buying a newer platform that you can actually upgrade from.

KEG Sharpshooter
12-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Keep saving. Wait until you get $2000 CDN and then go to www.ncix.com

zombie
12-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Im a huge fan of Asus mobos... Ive had them for a long time without issues when others have given lots of problems... They are usually packed full of features and very stable... probly not the cheapest on the block tho...

But if "you get what you pay for" is true anywhere in this world, its when applied to computer parts.

Enfield
12-19-2006, 06:44 PM
+ Plus ASUS offers alot of software and extra's
For example ASUS Probe ( Monitors Temprature , Voltage , Fan Speed , RAM in use , HD in use )

54Pv.Nostra
12-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I might as well say : screw the dual slot mobo and buy an older model of AGP and get a processor on it then?

I mean, I just want to give a temporary kick to that computer, because I'm probably gonna abandon it for a laptop or something in 1 or 2 years.

BigBlueCheese
12-20-2006, 01:22 AM
I can't say that my philosophy is correct, but I'd buy an expensive desktop and a cheap laptop. Gaming + Laptops just doesn't work as well as with desktops. Laptops aren't as upgradable and you'll end up screwing yourself to stay current.

54Pv.Nostra
12-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Thing is that I don't really plan to stay at my place til my 20's :p and my parents are going to be willing to buy me a laptop for university and even get a bombshell if I pay like a third of it. So while waiting...

So right now : I am planning to be waaaay too broke to buy a computer in 2 years. And I'll probably place snowboard over computer ;)

Chico
12-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Try to find a friend, or friend of a friend who is upgrading their computer and looking to offload their old Mobo + CPU combo.

There is a website called craigslist.org where you can search for deals by city. You could look through the listings with your parents and see if you can pick up a deal.

Here's (http://toronto.craigslist.org/sys/251033836.html) a listing from the other day that I almost went for.

Summary of what I've been pricing out lately:

250-300 CAD to go second hand with 3.0 P4 Prescott + Asus P4P800

300-350 CAD to go with new 3.0 P4 + Asus mobo

or just get a whole new computer that will last for 2-3 years by buying new C2D 6400 for 250CAD, Asus P5B mobo 175CAD, 2Gig DDR2 memory 200CAD, and PCI-E video card, or going the equivalent AMD route.

:toast: and GL