PDA

View Full Version : System Has Starting Trouble

Jenkl
12-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Ok. The problem I'm getting is that when I attempt to turn on my system, the lights go on, some of the fans start going, but then after a few seconds the thing just shuts itself off. Then, a few seconds later, it tries to start itself up again, and the process loops until I hold the power button during one of its start up attempts.

It's weird, because the problem starts, I do nothing of note (occasionally Ill open the case and double check my wires, but never find anything loose) or Ill just keep trying to turn it on, and it'll go and be fine for a while, then BAM, its doing it again.

I'm guessing it's the power supply. I can't think of anything else that would be messing with it. Maybe it just can't put enough juice in during the surge to power the system on boot sometimes? My houses wiring isnt that good either, and that may be worth noting (IE: If I plug a vaccuum into the same circuit my two computers are on, it kills the entire section of the house and I need to restart it in my fusebox).

Specs:
PSU: Ultra / X2 / 550-Watt
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Proc: E6300
RAM: Mushkin EM PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 Dual Channel
Video Card: EVGa 7900GT
2 120mm fans
1 250gig HD
1 DVDRW
1 cheap soundcard (soundlbaster?)

PS: Just double checked. The only fan that doesnt start up is my CPU heatsink fan. It seems to move itself a little, but then just stops.

Gj**** Cadyshack
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM
That might be your problem right there. Does the computer make a lot of beeping noices when you start it up? Because that is a code for the computer saying what's wrong.

BigBlueCheese
12-18-2006, 12:10 AM
yeah, check the CPU heatsink/fan.

Otherwise, my computer did something similar but only when the CPU was not working or when the Mobo wasn't working.

RAM most likely isn't the problem because if it was, the computer would stay on and issue a series of beeps.

If both mobo and CPU are still under warantee, replace them and see if that does it.

Enfield
12-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Can you reach the BIOS at startup?
Could be overheating on the CPU , i don't think thermal paste lasts forever.

The Vacuum thing:
Overload on a power circuit could be Alot of plugs in plug extensions as you draw alot of power from one source.

http://www.rockingstone.nl/itcenter/itemimages/002895.jpg

Putting another one of those in that one, can cause .. how do you say it in enlgish? overpowering? It also depends on what kind of Machines you got connected to those plugs.
I've had a problem with my computer shutting down several times because of that.. also because the Bathroom and Toilet light was left on all day..

Its usually the Washing Machine and Drying machine that cause overpowering here :P

Machines that give alot of heat and turn power into more heat then they turn it into their purpose useally use alot of Watt. I lightbulb turns 5% of its power into light and the other goes to heat..

FAS88
12-18-2006, 12:02 PM
i had a similar situation but it was caused by a switch that was triggered if you removed the side case on my tower . I guesss it was just barely depressed or something .. pc would boot then an error message in bios.... Something my pc builder enabled so I wouldnt go in there for a year...he he... sounds like a fan going bad is your problem although

BigBlueCheese
12-18-2006, 09:34 PM
From the sounds of it, Jenkl isn't even reaching the BIOS.

Redoing the thermal paste is an idea. Otherwise check your CPU and MOBO for damage.

54Pv.Nostra
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I had the same problem when I did an overclock of my processor... Stopping the overclock sort of stopped the problem.

BigBlueCheese
12-19-2006, 06:07 AM
Oh yeah, you can always try jumping the CMOS.

RN_Max
12-19-2006, 11:33 AM
The cycling of the power-up sequence could well be a PSU problem.
Capacitors are often used in power supplies to sustain power-up surge levels and delay shutdown power levels.
These can "dry out" and fail over time in any appliance PSU, especially if it is left plugged in to the mains on a permanent or long term basis.
One common audible symptom of failed capacitors is a quiet but high pitched noise from the PSU when connected to the mains.

If the CPU heatsink fan isn't running with the PC powered up for any length of time, there is a chance that your CPU could get fried.

If/when you remove the heatsink to check the thermal paste, take time to lift the CPU and check it for discolouration, burning and scorching.

Enfield
12-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Don't touch the copper lines! :slave:
And remove the paste with Q Tips , (Maybe with a little 100% Alcohol) nothing ELSE!

Jenkl
12-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Just to comment:
Im gonna try to bring it to a new part of my house to see if it is indeed just overpowered.

The computer is fairrly new, early September, so I highly doubt damaged or bad parts. The CPU may be it though, since I know the heatsink fan refuses to get above 600RPM but it should be around 2500... maybe those are connected? Just throwing out ideas.

I really think my warranty is still around... it should be since the proc and mobo and PSU came in boxes, not OEM (I think I pulled off the warranty stickers on those parts without even knowing it)... so I should be ok if I do ned to replace them... I seriously dont want to though.

Just a few more things: I moved it to a different circuit in my house... failed the first attempt, then worked the second one. Moved it back, and it failed. Its hard to call if it was just coincidence or not... I might try moving it again soon.
I've reworked the cord layout to try and shift the power over a few different plugs, though all of those plugs are still on the same circuit.

Also, the power LED stopped coming on along time ago. Just another little tidbit of info (the HDD light works fine).

[Deserted] AgentX
12-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Unfortunatly I can't help you, but maybe this can?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/NeoAgentX/n227400162_57856_7186.jpg