PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking

BigBlueCheese
10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
hmmm well it seems that my computer is stuck overclocking by default when I start it up, and I believe that it is the source of my system's instability.

I believe this happened when because it was overclocked when I flashed the BIOS and thus stuck that way. My question is whether there is a fix to this. I'm thinking that if I flash the bios again with propper settings then it will work propperly, but I'm not sure.

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

[46Z]H|Plut.JesusJackson
10-31-2006, 04:25 AM
OK this is odd, I would first go through and check all of your dependable options that control clock speed, your multi should be at its highest and your memory frequency should be at 200MHz, or it would be OCed. But I would just try fixing it manually and see if that keeps it in check.

The BIOS might've flashed but maybe it doesn't clear the CMOS while you still had it overclocked, therefore it kept certain settings. If you really want to reset, follow the CMOS reset instructions for your board (It probably requires moving a jumper on the mobo to a different pin config for 30 seconds, or possibly moving it then starting the machine in some cases, but it is most likely the operation with 3 pins.

BigBlueCheese
10-31-2006, 06:13 PM
It's default now is 200 x12 to bring it up to 2400MHz. I'd be fine with that if it wasn't acting unstable. My processor is a Winchester 4600+.

I've messed with the overclocking options setting it to standard (which I asume is supposed to be default) and manual where I tel it to be 200 x10. Also, I've tried specific motherboard overclocking options such as AI NOS and AI Overclock to at least lessen the overclock.

I also have repeatedly reset the CMOS to no result. However, the most recent thing I've tried which seems to have helped was I set it to 222 x 9 instead. When I turned it on this morning it was then set to 222 x 10, which is an improvement and should be a much more stable configuration. I'll find out if I can restart it and keep the settings. I'll also see what my BIOS says about the processor now and what it thinks it's clocked at.

EDIT - that isn't my processor. I need to look it up. That was the wrong name.

EDIT - It looks like it should be a Windsor and its standard configuration is actually with a 12x multiplier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors#.22Windsor.2 2_.28F2.2C_90_nm.29
Before flashing my BIOS however, it would be 200 x10 standard.

[46Z]H|Plut.JesusJackson
10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Hmmm well, have you checked your HTT and LTT speeds, see if those keep changing, I don't think ur mobo will have a clear reading of HTT as I think it is a combination of the LTT, FSB, and mem dividers. But other than that, I would think that the motherboard is having some sort of problem, and the CMOS is getting F'ed up.

BigBlueCheese
11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
H|Kpl.JesusJackson;165206']Hmmm well, have you checked your HTT and LTT speeds, see if those keep changing, I don't think ur mobo will have a clear reading of HTT as I think it is a combination of the LTT, FSB, and mem dividers. But other than that, I would think that the motherboard is having some sort of problem, and the CMOS is getting F'ed up.

Everything else is set to "auto". However, I'll look up on the documentation and try to manually set what it's supposed to be later.

On another note, what I thought worked didn't work. However, I am now trying to overclock just a bit more than 2400MHz and it seems to be more stable interestingly enough...

Jenkl
11-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Never ever flash overclocked. Your probably 100% right about how and why, and logically your suggested course of action should fix it.

BigBlueCheese
11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately, I'm current, so I'll have to flash backwards and then back again.. but like I said, I'll test my system stability at a few settings first and see if that helps.

[46Z]G|Sze.TinFoil
11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Also, you don't need to flash the BIOS unless something's wrong/is brand new.

OC'ing an Ath64 has nothing to do with your multiplier. Rather, you're increasing your FSB. Find the stock settings for everything and see how it performs.

Out of curiosity, is your vidcard OC'd? :)

BigBlueCheese
11-03-2006, 03:52 AM
G|Sze.TinFoil;165925']Also, you don't need to flash the BIOS unless something's wrong/is brand new.

OC'ing an Ath64 has nothing to do with your multiplier. Rather, you're increasing your FSB. Find the stock settings for everything and see how it performs.

Out of curiosity, is your vidcard OC'd? :)

See that's the problem, it was originally running at 200 x10 like a 4400 and then with the BIOS flash it started running at 200x12 but the computer would crash every few hours. 200x12 is the stock setting for the CPU.

The video card is overclocked, but the computer still crashed while the video card wasn't overclocked.

On another note, I was very stupid and bent a pin on the CPU anyway when I was cleaning the old thermal stuff off of it to make sure that it was cooling propperly so I have to get a replacement anyway. There's $250 down the drain, but oh well, if my mobo stops complaining that I need to configure my CPU then I'll be happy.

The motherboard was new so I flashed the BIOS as soon as possible. Funny story, the first flashing of the BIOS fried the mobo somehow so I had to return it for a replacement.

[46Z]H|Plut.JesusJackson
11-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Well that blows, but AFAIK, one pin missing won't usually cause any major instability, depending on what it does. But that pretty much blows on how everything is working.

BigBlueCheese
11-04-2006, 07:46 AM
H|Kpl.JesusJackson;166303']Well that blows, but AFAIK, one pin missing won't usually cause any major instability, depending on what it does. But that pretty much blows on how everything is working.

The new processor should be here wednesday or so, and luckilly my old computer is still able to tackle FH. It just isn't powerful enough to run a dedicated server at the same time that it's running FH :p

Either way, if things remain unstable then I'll know that it's a mobo issue and I'll focus in that direction.