PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player Woes

GjT Sky Captain
09-26-2006, 09:36 PM
About a week or two ago, I reinstalled WMP (because of a seeming video problem with Rome, when in fact Rome Total Realism just doesn't like me), and now I can't watch or listen to any video or audio files, not even DVD's and the like. I've reinstalled codecs, installed Media Player countless times to no avail, and have done anything I can think of (which is to reinstall Media Player and every codec I can think of), but I still get the Black Screen of Doom. QuickTime (my only other player, it seems) works just fine. But that doesn't help me, since every video likes using WMP.

Any help?

(Also, while trying to uninstall WMP today via Add/Remove Programs, I seem to have uninstalled Internet Explorer, but it still works fine. Oh noez)

3B|Ct KSolo
09-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Maybe it is that you don't have it as your 'default media player'.

Go to 'Add or Remove Programs' --> 'Set Program Access and Defaults' --> click on the 'Custom' arrow on the right

Toggle around with the settings to let it be enabled and/or default... if WMP is the one you like to use the most. I know when you download some other media player, such as QuickTime, it will change these defaults and make WMP act all screwy.

You may also go into the 'Preferences' on WMV and select which files you want it to play, or something like that.

GjT Sky Captain
09-27-2006, 01:10 AM
No go. :( I've got all the options enabled in WMP, but still "Can't see crap, Cap'n!"

BigBlueCheese
09-27-2006, 03:42 AM
Does it pretend to be playing it or does it play it at all?

GjT Sky Captain
09-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Sort of. I'll push the play button, and for a few seconds it'll 'play,' then stop. All I get the whole time is a black screen.

BigBlueCheese
09-28-2006, 04:41 AM
//|Sky Captain;157000']Sort of. I'll push the play button, and for a few seconds it'll 'play,' then stop. All I get the whole time is a black screen.

So you see/hear something for a second, and then it craps out? That includes the slider as well? So it just plain stops making progress at all on any songs, media, or anything offline or online? Make sure that it's not your files by trying something new downloaded and play it there. The only other suggestion I have is seeing if winamp does the same thing.

GjT Sky Captain
09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
No, no, the bar doesn't move, I can't see anything but a black screen and can't hear anything. After about a second it 'stops.'

BigBlueCheese
09-28-2006, 07:45 PM
//|Sky Captain;157115']No, no, the bar doesn't move, I can't see anything but a black screen and can't hear anything. After about a second it 'stops.'

that would indeed be a media player problem rather than a problem associated with your computer. Have you tried any other software to see if it's just those big name media players? Try playing a DVD with Cyberlink's PowerDVD or maybe use winamp for something to see if it's across the board. If it is, then I really can't tell you what's wrong other than a weird registry entry or something...

R|54Pv.BrotherJustice
09-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Try unistalling it and then just redownload and reinstall, including all codex. You can always use a third party audio/video application. I use mostly itunes for everything and it has good free radio stations. I think its much better than widnows media player

GjT Sky Captain
09-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I'll try that, BBC.

And BroJustice, I've done that 50.0x10<sup>20</sup> times.

Distant
09-29-2006, 12:24 PM
http://www.realoneplayer.net/

another music player....note that i've never gotten media to play on it......and for some reason some files i DL that are vid's play via ifranview so eh....i perfer WMP to real1 player....

Orange
09-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Try this.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/