PDA

View Full Version : Is Forgoten Hope going to be TOO big?

[Ret.]Shug
12-21-2003, 06:41 PM
I ha ve been readin the FH forums and theirs a lot of people talking about how big FH is gonna be. They said the lead Designer said it was going to be 200 megs bigger then the last one (not including patches...i think) so the old one was 430megs, and the new one will be about 600....Thats Compressed...

How big are they honestly planning on making this mod, i understand there are a lot of models and extra stuff, but doesn't it eventually get to big????

i might be dl for like hour, hour and half, 2 hours....and thats if i'm lucky and get a good connection.....

I guess this is sorta a rant, but hopefully they find a way to lose some of the size and us BFE'ers get some hi speed servers (like a direct link from the Battle server hosting the file, and maybe from BFworld.net)

PKS/ Glen
12-21-2003, 06:44 PM
I doubt we will have any BFE dedicated download servers, but thats not too big of an issue, if you use a bitorrent and leave it over night.

I expect our good friends at BFWorld will have a fast dl mirror though, and I'm hopeful after the problems FH had with their first release that this one should go a lot smoother.

68R|Rc Petru
12-21-2003, 06:46 PM
I don't mind a big dl, heck I'd even accept up a 1gb before saying no.

The problem these days is every download site from here to Mars requires you to turn over a ton of personal information down to your inside leg measurement to register, and even then only give you 100k/s speed after handing your email address to every possible form of spam lists.

[Ret.]Shug
12-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Maybe we can talk to MFOTs or something and see if he can arange to have the two servers hold the file for like 3 days while we all DL...It owuld benefit us a whoel lot as it wouldn't take as long for eveyrone to get adjusted and re set...

And Is bittorrent really all that much faster, i have it but i can't say i've really noticed a speed increase over just a regular dl

[D15]~KA|SoulThief
12-21-2003, 07:35 PM
the next release will own your HD your internetcon your bandwith (if you have any limits) your grandma and your dog.

Orange
12-21-2003, 07:49 PM
****|SoulThief]the next release will own your HD your internetcon your bandwith (if you have any limits) your grandma and your dog.

LOL

[BFWorld.net]budha
12-21-2003, 07:57 PM
BFworld.net will host for sure the next version of FH in our high speed mirrors. Let's hope the dev team will give us a prerelease link to have time to setup our FTP servers.
Battlegroup42 did that and we thank them in public for the great cooperation we have so far :D
Many of our stuff members are beta testers of upcoming mods and we are in process of contacting them to setup a mirrors for the majors mods out there.
Unfortunately there are mods like DC which are stuck with only one site (see planetbattlefield) :?

Davout
12-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Your BFWorld friends will be there for you as usual...even for people like Wiretap...

[Ret.]Shug
12-21-2003, 09:11 PM
BFworld owns all the other sites, You guys just really need to look at updating your Info a bit quicker. I notice i go to BF42 first then Bfworld...But Bfworld gives me more indepth news and its better, just not as fast

Then tehres Planet BF it doesn't even deserve to be called a "fansite" as it gets paid to host that, and the news sucks, and they suck, and they force you to wait in line in bot filled servers

Cyan Winters
12-21-2003, 09:13 PM
BF1942files.com Is a good site for news -Nod-

But I dont care how big FH is as long as I have space on my computer.

[Ret.]Shug
12-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Does anyone here have Bandwidth caps...I know i don't..But does anyone else?

Smudge
12-21-2003, 09:58 PM
|Shugart]Does anyone here have Bandwidth caps...I know i don't..But does anyone else?

I dont either.

12-21-2003, 11:21 PM
torrent usualy works for the best.

[Ret.]Shug
12-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Does anyone know if i can use A Download seperator, that should boost my speed a bit???

Koolkal[OldSkool]
12-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Download Separator? I know of things like Getright, which let you use multiple sources for the same file, up to 4 links from the same mirror for the file... Meaning you can almost always hit your max... Also, Optimum Online has a DL cap of 10k Mb or about 1.25 Megabytes per second... Though I max out at around 1 Meg. :roll: My upload is capped at 1000 Mb or about 125 Kilobytes per second... Overall, still a damn good connection, and I can DL from BFWorld at usually around 800 KB a second using just ONE source! Awesome site... Too bad it's only BF... :cry:

[Ret.]Shug
12-21-2003, 11:50 PM
a seperator is something that breaks up the file and DL's it in seperate parts, thus having to do smaller parts and allowing more reasources to go into the download. If your lucky it can be massivley faster, but sometimes being that it seperates the files, it can really screw up the whole thing and "break" it

[42MKR]RCT.Zodiak
12-22-2003, 11:18 AM
|Shugart]Does anyone here have Bandwidth caps...I know i don't..But does anyone else?

I do :cry:

On both my connections... One caps at 10gig dl/30days & 1.5 gig up/30days
The other is kinda messed up but i think it's 1 gig/week

RA[33FM]~|MennoZ
12-22-2003, 11:27 AM
No bandweight caps for me :D(hmm let's say Fair Use policy <| ) only my connection sucks a bit.
It's now 1024kbit down and 378kbit up. It's going to be 2048 over a few months though.

68R|Rc Petru
12-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Uncapped bandwidth, but capped file transfers (10mbit downstream speed, but 10gb (paid to expand to 15gb) cap per 30 days).

As long as it's on a fast line I don't care how big FH .6 is, just as long as I don't have to sell my soul to 4 download sites before even getting a link :D

Eisen
12-22-2003, 12:14 PM
**|Koolkal]Download Separator? I know of things like Getright, which let you use multiple sources for the same file, up to 4 links from the same mirror for the file... Meaning you can almost always hit your max... Also, Optimum Online has a DL cap of 10k Mb or about 1.25 Megabytes per second... Though I max out at around 1 Meg. :roll: My upload is capped at 1000 Mb or about 125 Kilobytes per second... Overall, still a damn good connection, and I can DL from BFWorld at usually around 800 KB a second using just ONE source! Awesome site... Too bad it's only BF... :cry:
Wow, that's fast...i got @home what is 2560kbit/s down (320kB/s) officialy but that can go a bit faster because there isn't a cap but the network cant go faster than +-3000kbit/s. But up is only 128kbit/s (16kB/s) and that is a big problem... I can download from bfw with 200-300kB/s.

ANd i got a FUP :( (faire use policy).

[Ret.]Shug
12-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Rogers @ Home has a Fair use policiy???

I never knew that, i thought we could DL and use up as much bandwidth as is humanly possible.

[FEB]LH|Sd.Primo_itch
12-23-2003, 02:22 AM
woa... my 300k (30kb/s down and 15kb/s up) looks pretty ****ty near yours...

stop complaining... you can d/l it in one or two hours... i need six... :(

Azik Blaze
12-23-2003, 02:31 AM
|Shugart]Rogers @ Home has a Fair use policiy???

I never knew that, i thought we could DL and use up as much bandwidth as is humanly possible.

I've often wondered...
Ever since I ended my downloading binges of past, I've noticed my downloads are considerably faster, hmm...

Free willy
12-24-2003, 01:34 AM
FH Dev team threw out 200 megs of unneeded textures, i dunno how much they added though, but it'll still own my mum and my dog.

Hurray for my Download limit

Damn extortion cable companys....

[42MKR]RCT.Zodiak
12-24-2003, 03:20 PM
:agree:

[Ret.]Shug
12-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Ok i was thinking...

FH said that the new release will be 200 megs or so bigger then the previous one.

BUT

Is this as a full install, or ONTOP of (I.e. patch) to the previous one.

so will the whole file i have on my computer be 600megs (400 ontop of 200) or will it be something like 1000megs (400 ontop of 600 meg patch)???

If it is that big, that MOD is gonna be bigger then desert combat

denusjj
12-30-2003, 12:07 PM
i have 7500mb download/upload limit a month @ 1024/512 for (*^&*(^&)*%% €60,-

74M|Pv.Kommisar
12-30-2003, 01:49 PM
God Bless America, Apple Pie, unlimited FREE drink refills at resteraunts, and my unlimited cable internet connection!!!!

:ddr:

Oh, and from what I have gathered, the 0.6 release will be a full new download as so much of the coding has changed. A change patch would not even be worth it LOL. But I guess we will just have to wait and see....