PDA

View Full Version : is my video card dying?

ADRIFTER
08-18-2007, 02:18 AM
for no apparent reason whenever i'm playing bf42 or il-2 (the only games i have installed) my fps seems to randomly drop to between 3-20 when normally i get a solid 100 fps in both games. no matter what i'm doing.....even while standing in the corner of a map while in the menu.

it will stay like that for anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour, then go back to normal for about an hour, then repeat. though sometimes its worse and it wont go away until i turn my pc off, but half the time it will go back to doing that.

nothing changes no matter how low or high my graphics/sound setting are at, not even a loss/gain of one fps.......my frame rate will stay low and stable.

on occasion in bf42 it seems i'll just lose fps by certain percentage, instead of staying in that under 20 range. for instance if i'm flying around at the top of the map my fps might go back up to say 30, but if i dive down into view of some ground my fps will return to 5-15.

all this has been going on for a few weeks now, but now its getting worse.
when it first started it was really bad so i installed new drivers and overclocked my card a little, and that all worked for about a week...but now the problems are back and getting worse. i tried different drivers and underclocking as well, but saw no difference at all.

so, might my video card just be dying.....or is there something i can try to remedy the problem?

L|52Cpl.Phille
08-18-2007, 03:17 AM
This sounds lika a typical CPU overheat, or RAM problem. I don't think it has anything to do with your videocard.

First of all, make sure your RAM is plugged in correcty. Also, if you have overclocked your RAM, check the voltage of it in the BIOS or by downloading a program like Everest. You can easily find the original voltage of your RAM on the internet. Make sure that your voltage isn't higher than about 0.15-0.2V than the original voltage of your RAM because if it is, your RAM is getting overheated.

Have you overclocked your CPU? If so, make sure it is not getting overheated by downloading CPUz or Everest Home Edition - those programs will show you the temperature of your CPU. Find out what temperatures your CPU usually have while playing games by loking at some benchmarking, and compare your temp with the benchmark results. Also, make sure your CPU voltage is ok.

Of course it does not have to be that complicated. Do you have some thermal grease? If so, clean the surface of the cpu and the heatsink with either acetone or petrol (make sure it's clean as hell, no old thermal grease should be left) using cotton, and then put some new thermal grease on the CPU. put all the components back on and you're done. If you want me to write this all a bit more detalied, I'll do that tomorrow, because it is 5AM here, and I wrote al this in a big hurry :-P

Anyway, I'll take a lok at this tomorrow if that didn't help.

ADRIFTER
08-18-2007, 04:01 PM
i've never overclocked or messed with my ram or processor at all, mainly due to fear of overheating because this is a laptop.

to be more specific its a big *** laptop with full size keyboard (becuase of the 17 inch widescreen), a 3ghz pentium 4, 2 gigs of ram, and a 256 mb ati x600, and four rather large fans (three on the back/bottom and one for the vid card on the left. and its now two years old.

is it possible that some dust got inside and is causing trouble?

otherwise i'm not sure how a stock cpu would be overheating. perhaps some components just kicking the bucket on me?

Enfield
08-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Update video drivers.
Vacuum the heatsink/fan w/e.
Clean the slots..

58W_Pv Jared
08-18-2007, 04:43 PM
humm did you build it your self?

RX-7
08-19-2007, 01:16 PM
do you use the omega drivers? if not check them out they are good for stuff like yo have

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=14&go=giveme&dwn_id=446

YkS Hickle
08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Does it only happen when you run ts?

ADRIFTER
08-19-2007, 06:16 PM
nope, didnt build it.

i've got omega drivers, and they seem to work fine.

and it happens regardless of ts being run or not

and hickle, i already sent you a pm about your sig, so fix it please. ;)

i think i should probably just open this thing up and try to clean out any dust that might be inside, or blocking a fan.

KaP Blander
08-20-2007, 02:34 AM
This sounds lika a typical CPU overheat

That's exactly what I'd say.

RX-7
08-20-2007, 04:34 AM
from the symptoms it sounds like bad ram/mobo I've been suffering bad ram for a while soon in a couple of weeks I'll be making the switch to ddr2, but the big thing maybe your card in your laptop may just be getting to old and over worked for too long. you may just have to consider a new rig...

58F_Lc Ordos!
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
So you have a P4 3gig (pentium D I presume?) in a laptop enclosure

You do know that puppy uses in the order of 120 watts under stress right? Those things were a ***** to cool in a full tower, and a laptop case is only worse. Juts to tets, while playing put that thing on your lap. The heat build up should tell you whats right.

If you can see if you can replace it for a less power guzzler. Less power (watts wise) == Less heat. I am running my E6600 @ 3 GHz with a maximum core temp of 51 under stress. Most of that heat is coming from my graphics card anyway.

-Ordos-

ADRIFTER
08-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Ordos {PIMP};267015']
You do know that puppy uses in the order of 120 watts under stress right? Those things were a ***** to cool in a full tower, and a laptop case is only worse. Juts to tets, while playing put that thing on your lap. The heat build up should tell you whats right.

yeah, it gets hot alright. always did though; i cant tell the difference between now and when it was working fine.

unfortunately i cant exactly replace the processor because that would involve cracking the case open to get to the cpu.

this is really bad too, because i needed to get another desktop (not an uprade or anything, i just need to have another) and now i might need a new laptop as well.

Refaim
08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Open heart surgery on a laptop can be a pain, but its nothing you can't handle if you have a nice set of screwdrivers with varius drive paterns and a well lit workbench. I've tore into a coulple of them before and they tend to get messy when you start taking screws out. One i operated on lost it's keys from the keyboard all over the floor... The monitor had to come off on both i've torn apart.

If your gonna be getting a new one anyway, tear it apart. It's broke already, may as well learn something from it :). Just remember, don't break ****, but when you do, use duck tape.

ADRIFTER
08-26-2007, 04:30 AM
i took the ram out, dusted it off, cleaned the fans, dusted the mobo, cleaned the ram connectors, took the stickers off the ram, put the ram back in.......and now its much better. suprising what a little dust can do. :)

[WaW]TA|Stubbfan
08-26-2007, 11:41 AM
V|SLt.ADRIFTER;268644']i took the ram out, dusted it off, cleaned the fans, dusted the mobo, cleaned the ram connectors, took the stickers off the ram, put the ram back in.......and now its much better. suprising what a little dust can do. :)

Oh yeah, my computer goes loco when it get's to dusty.