PDA

View Full Version : Sound System

[47Sgb]A|Pvt.CitizenSolgr
01-29-2007, 02:02 AM
Im getting a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card, with a Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker system. Is there anything else i need to know before purchusing these. I saw a review about speaker systems saying something about a speacial cord or something that i needed to buy along with the system, can anyone tell me if im good, or do i need anything else?

BigBlueCheese
01-29-2007, 06:56 AM
You might. The Newegg pictures I'm looking at don't show the PC-to-Sub connectors (green, orange, black) that you'll need, but they might be not pictured and still included. Either way, this is a quick fix and the cables are fairly cheap and easy to get.

Three of these, but you might be able to find better deals. Look for mini-stereo plugs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16882123079

That's the answer to your question. The rest of this is just fun sound stuff you can do with your system.

--------------------------------------------------

On another note, I think it's a good purchase. Creative bundles some superb software the improves the sound quality played over the speakers. I have the next level down in Logitec speakers and I'm very happy with them. I can get excellent sound quality out of mine and I've added some stuff to make it sound even better.

On the note of what I've added, I'll use your system to show what could be done. First, I used the S-video port on the back of my graphics card with an adapter from S-video to RCA video (the yellow jack of the red, white, and yellow that you use with VCRs and Gaming consoles). I plugged that into my TV and then I took my speaker system and got "Y" splitters for the RCA (red and white jacks) in the back of my subwoofer (just like yours) and then plugged my speakers into one fork while plugging the other fork into some more RCA cable that I then plugged into my stereo console. I now have it so that I can play DVDs on my TV across the room and have decent surround sound on better speakers than the ones that came with my system that fill up the room with non-directional sound.

Other modifications you can make include cable extensions so you can position your speakers farther out around the room. Or if you were hooking into a stereo console as I described, buy a single Y splitter for the green jack on the back of your sound card and then get an adapter from that mini-stereo to two-channels of RCA that you can then hook into your stereo. I'd suggest this as the one problem I've encountered is that the bass is filtered out with my setup and I have to turn the subwoofer up to counter the extreme trebble coming from my stereo console.

72H|CS Daddy
01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
I usually play with a headset, so surround is wasted on me. Got an X-Fi though, but only running it through a Creative 2.1 speaker set called T3030. Great for saving desk space, the speakers can be wall mounted. And the sound is OK too.

Using a Koss Portapro, I'm also getting fairly good bass feeling with the headset connected. I hate closed headsets, so the Portapro is a decent and cheap open alternative.

It has that very handy headphone output + bass balance and volume "remote". Problem is that Creative's wired remotes tend to...well... not work. :lol: A lot of people have problems with those remotes, according to their forums.

Mine's back at the store for warranty repairs. It's a good thing that consumer legislation is strict in Norway. They get two tries to fix it, and max one week per try. After that I can get my money back and buy something not made by Creative. Any suggestions for a cheap but good 2.1 not made by Creative?

01-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Also, i'm getting a headset. It's is a headphone mic headset and it's USB plug, does it still get the sound from the sound card even though it's going into the USB plug or do i need to get a regualr 3.1 or w/e plug to put in the socket in the card?

Also if the sound card is a 7.1 channel im assume it supports the 5.1 or do i have to get a 7.1 speaker set.

01-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Need Response Please Buying It Today!

BigBlueCheese
01-30-2007, 05:19 PM
USB will work fine. It will automatically cancel the speaker sound when you pug it in (after it's recognized of course). You might have to change a setting for this however. However, it shouldn't be a hard setting to find or change.

7.1 supports 5.1 speakers easily. Just like it will support 2.1, simple stereo, 4 channel, 4.1, 6.1, all those.